Removing Dealer Decal - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > General Maintenance | Owner Info > Interior and Exterior Detailing

Old 05-01-2005, 07:19 PM   #1

Removing Dealer Decal

Dude and I are trying to find the safest way to remove decals the dealer slapped on the tail gates of both our Mooses. We can’t tell if they are vinyl or a heavy grade plastic. Size is about 6 x 4 inches. We’ve got the hair dryer ready...but it’s so cold here I doubt we’d get it warm enough to pull them loose.

We read a post about a 3M product that might be the answer to this question.

Input anyone??

T.I.A.!!
GGH & DGH

Girl Gotta Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2005, 08:29 PM   #2
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Removing Dealer Decal

GGH....STOP... Put the hair dryer up. Go to your old mans tackle box and get a piece of fishing line (monofilament) about 18" long. Slip it between the plastic and your truck. Using a sawing motion it will cut it's way through the 3M and all you have to do is peel it off...a little Goo Gone helps a lot. You can ruin your paint with a dryer. It takes a just a little while to get the dealer crap off.
RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:30 PM   #3
Director Emeritus

Garage
Removing Dealer Decal

More than likely the dealer's decals are vinyl... heat them up a tad with your heat gun and peel 'em off. A good wax in the area will take care of any left over residue!
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2005, 08:49 PM   #4
Director Emeritus

Removing Dealer Decal

Naptha, which is nothing more than lighter fluid, does a great job of cleaning up any sticky residue and will not harm the clear coat.

Steve
HEMI-PUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:27 AM   #5

Removing Dealer Decal

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rancher:
Go to your old mans tackle box

Rancher ....does it have to come out of his tackle box? Can I get it out of *MY* tackle box??
(and yep...I bait my own hooks...)

Thanks for the input folks! With the help from ya'll I'll have them suckers off next weekend!! It's still to damn cold up here to spend much time outside!! I am pretty much a wuss when it comes to temps below 60!!! Next weekend it's suppose to warm up, hope to have pics to post by Sat afternoon with tailgates sans dealer decal!
GGH
Old 05-02-2005, 01:54 PM   #6
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Removing Dealer Decal

OK, GGH...now I'm wondering which kind of sticker/plate your dealer uses... Like a truck badge of decal type? I think every dealer in Texas uses something like our badges with 3M tape holding them on.

A Woman with a Hemi and her own tackle box....damn.
RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:45 PM   #7

Removing Dealer Decal

'tis vinyl...just looked at the one on Mr. Moose. Can't check Mrs. Moose STILLLL in the shop...ggrrrr...four weeks and counting.
It was spittin' snow here this eve...so I ain't standing out there to work it off tonight.....SUPPOSE to have Mrs. Moose back Wend. Prayin for it to be warm this weekend so I can get them off then.

I WISH the dealers would use something other than the dang stickers for advertisment.....the truck itself is the ad...if somebody asks I'd more than happy to tell em where I got it!

OHH and BTW

Rancher
..I also have *MY* own tool box....Dude's work takes him on the road often...so I tweak the washer...lawn mower.....kid's bikes.....garbage disposal..etc...... I’ve been known to tweak a kid or two and occasinaly…Dude…but I NEVER EVER tweak the vehicles around here! That’s strictly Dude’s territory…tho now that I have my own Hemi ...........hhmmmmmm
GGH
Old 05-02-2005, 08:30 PM   #8

Removing Dealer Decal

you can have the dealer remove the sticker before you buy. He has to have you sign a release to allow it to stay on so you will advertise for them. Just one of the many pieces of paper you sign while making the purchase. They usually throw it past you so fast you don't realize that's what you are signing for.. If you tell them to take it off they don't like it very well and try to give you aload of sh#@ why you should leave it on. At that point you tell them they can leave it if they take another couple of hundred or so off the truck. Have them pay you for advertising.
AFHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:42 PM   #9
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

Removing Dealer Decal

Ya, I do agree with AF on this! Most of California hasn't picked up on the stickers on vehicles for advertising. Mine has a license plate frame with it on there and that is perfectly fine with me. I can take it off any time feel like it and replace it.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:24 PM   #10

Removing Dealer Decal

Yep! Told the dealer to take off the free advertising! He did, too. Tried to get him to debadge the truck, but he wussed on that one. LOL
OldBaldie is offline   Reply With Quote