I'll start by saying Hi Everyone! I'm not super well known around this forum as I usually stick the the Florida Chapter side but thought I'd share my console Mod on my 4th Gen Ram. I got really tired of the plain silver interior and decided I would paint those areas to the same color as the truck
*Build Info, read or just look at the pretty pictures lol*
I started out by taking apart the center console. It's very easy, there are 2 screw on the top of the dash piece, just remove the tray liner on the part that says "Dodge" and grab a Torx 15 to take out the 2 screws. There are 2 more screws that require a Phillips Head screw driver at the bottom of the dash console which can be accessed by removing the tray liner. There is One more screw located behind the bezel of the 110v plug. Just grab a flat tip to pop it off and your handy T15 and your ready to take the dash console off. Just pry from the top with your fingers and work your way down as there is a handful of retainer clips on each side holding it on.
Next up is the floor console section. Just pry it up from the back and it'll pop right off with the chrome trim ring. Finally is the shifter bezel. Remove the liners from the center and the cup holders to find the 3 nuts holding it in place. These can be removed with a 6.5mm socket, then just pry it up as it's held in by retaining clips. I think half the truck is held together by these things lol Once you're done it should all look like this
From here I sanded and primed the console pieces and sent them off to a painter here in town who does great work. He's done numerous custom parts for Challenger and Charger guys in town and has a great reputation.
So while the parts were at the painter I decided to upgrade the stereo to a Pioneer Double Din unit. According to Crutchfield "Modification was required" and they weren't joking. I had to "trim" a good 1/4" of plastic from the dash and also remove the top portion of the bracket that held the old stereo in place. Personally I don't have a lot of tools to do this kind of work, so I grabbed a small drill bit and made "test holes" along a sharpie line I made and removed the plastic with a pair of needle nose pliers. The bracket I had to break with a pair of vise grips, just twisted the corners for about 15 minutes until it broke apart. I was left with what looks like a big hacked up opening lol
After wiring up the new harness and learning to connect the Blue wire with the white stripe to the other blue wire with the white stripe, I put everything back together and this is the end result!