Easier way to remove 3m tape from debadge project - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > General Maintenance | Owner Info > Interior and Exterior Detailing

Old 11-27-2007, 12:18 PM   #1

Easier way to remove 3m tape from debadge project

Here is a really easy way to remove that thick 3M film that holds your vehicle badging to your truck:

1: Get some fishing line (Preferably SPIDER-LINE, it's woven and literally unbreakable)
2: Remove the badges by using a sawing motion with the fishing line
I. Hold fishing line tighly wound in each hand and hold even with surface
3: Remove each undesired badge
4: Now, you are left with about an 1/8th inch of sticky/ foamy black film
5: Get some House of Kolor polyurethane Medium Reducer (Can get off ebay or anything, I would say 16oz. would do the entire truck.)
6: CAREFULLY, I cant stress this enough... CAREFULLY, pour some reducer on a rag in a WELL-VENTILATED AREA and dab it onto the film ONLY, do your best to not get it on the paint, It will not destroy it on impact or anything, but if it sits uncleaned, longterm.. it MAY bruise your clearcoat
7: you will notice that the material has been broken down by the reducer and has become easier to lift or peel.
8: take a thick, disposable PLASTIC spoon (see my amazing diagram HAHA) and hold it upside down and begin to work it into the material, peeling it upward (the spoon replaces your fingernails and the pain associated therewith)
9: There will be residue left at this point.
10: Take your HOK Reducer and once again dab the area, wipe it away with a cloth after a few seconds, and you should be left will some haze (it will look like a fog on your clear coat)
11: Take some rubbing compound and work it over it, buff away.
12: polish the area with normal wax or scratch-fix.
13: ALL DONE

guys, this method was so easy I had my girlfriend help me, and she actually had FUN doing this. So go pick a lazy day and grab a buddy and you can literally bang out all your badges on your truck in about an hour and a half give or take. Thanks.

05AngelOfDeathHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2007, 12:48 PM   #2

RED- Paint
Gray- 3M Material

.. lol, i forgot to add this.. haha
Old 11-27-2007, 03:31 PM   #3

I did mine with a compound wheel, rubber wheel that goes on a drill. Fishing line them off and the wheel just erases them. Did all the emblems and moulding in a little over 20 minutes. Best $20 i've spent.

--Edit--

I really like the diagram, maybe i'll make one up too.
DickiesGotAHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #4

I did the 3M eraser wheel too and it was to easiest thing I have ever used.
RaiderJay6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:36 AM   #5

lol, I have a strong feeling that I shouldve tried it too, I was just too anxious to debadge. But I will admit, it turned out awesome with the "SPOON METHOD" .. For a couple measly dollars and basically household items ((with the exception of the reducer) which would only be like $10) I accomplished this pretty easily; considering that the thinner does the difficult work for you.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:42 AM   #6

Well I like the heat gun method take a standard heat gun or possibly your wifes hairdryer move the gun slowly over the item to be removed and slowly work the corner of the item and pull off slowly do not over heat the item or it will melt and also mess up the paint,same way you remove window tint.But the 3m eraser works wonderfully also lol
Muddie Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #7

So I've read a bunch of the debadging threads and I have yet to see anyone mention the use of 3M General Trim and Adhesive Remover. Is it because nobody knows about this chemical or is it somehow hazardous to our paint? I have used it on many other vehicles and it works slicker than snot. It is made specifically to remove the same 3M trim tape that is securing our badges. I'd just like to know if there is something special about our paint on these late model Rams before I debadge using this product.
08hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:46 PM   #8

Wylie Tx!!!! i was just there, watching the superbowl at a buds house.

anyway. IF your unsure about if the adhesive remover will damage your paint and or cleat coat, you may try a very small area somewhere out of site (under side of hood, behind hood liner maybe). This is just to be safe. If no damage happens, then you should be good to go. Where did you find the 3M Adhesion Solvent?
madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #9

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by madcat:
Wylie Tx!!!! i was just there, watching the superbowl at a buds house.

anyway. IF your unsure about if the adhesive remover will damage your paint and or cleat coat, you may try a very small area somewhere out of site (under side of hood, behind hood liner maybe). This is just to be safe. If no damage happens, then you should be good to go. Where did you find the 3M Adhesion Solvent?

I've already done the deed as you might or might not have noticed at the GTG Saturday. I tested the 3M on a spot and was good to go so I went for it. Took about an hour to do all the badges...the Hemi badges were the most difficult...lots of tape under those.

3M General Trim Adhesive Remover can be had at just about any body shop supply house. I got mine at English Color, on Ave K in Plano. 3M pn is 08987 for the general purpose stuff.
08hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:12 AM   #10

i just got done doing the tailgate, and body moldings. The dodge emblem takes the cake on the most tape!!! I found that a spray paint cap worked very well also. A little sharper than a plastic spoon, and fits well in hand. I squeezed it to form an oval shape, then used the more pointed side of the oval to scrape with. Combined with the 3M adhesive remover it was the easiest way i have found so far, and have de-badged my last 4 trucks!
madcat is offline   Reply With Quote