CLEAR COAT SCRATCHES - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > General Maintenance | Owner Info > Interior and Exterior Detailing

Old 09-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #1

Garage
Any suggestions on what to do with those little scratches that show up white regardless what the base color is?

They are annoying and I don't want to repaint the whole truck yet.

http://www.hemitruckclub.com/attachm...epic3972_3.gif
ROLLING THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #2

Garage
Any suggestions on what to do with those little scratches that show up white regardless what the base color is?

They are annoying and I don't want to repaint the whole truck yet.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

Nathan - I had one on the side of my show car that was placed there by a spectator and his keys dangling from his side pants pocket. I used a 6" orbit buffer to apply Mothers pre-wax cleaner, hand wiped with a micro-fiber and re-applyed till I couldn't see most of it. Followed with some pure carnauba wax. I did the same when the ninny, at the body shop, airbrushed some deep scratches (placed there by the previous owner) I had on the Ram and burned the paint by power buffing. Took out all of it. If it's deeper, you can try the clay bar system. Be warned, I have been told this will strip a tiny fraction of clear coat, but looks great if your clear coat never had it done. Deeper yet? Color sanding and please have it done by someone in the know about paint and clear coat. Cheaper than a paint job and has great results...Hope the very best for you!

Old 09-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Nathan...I think it's Mothers that makes a product called Scratch X that works really well. My black truck was really bad about showing small scratches and it did a great job on them.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #5

Garage
Thanks

Old 10-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #6

I have to agree with Rancher. I had minor scratches in my clear coat/paint. I used Mothers rubbing compound then Mothers polishing compound. Took them right out, works well with paint rubs also.
aFe High Breather
Magnaflow Cat-back exhaust
30% tint
Amsoiled Everything
Nasta step bars
Torsion bar lift (re-keyed)
Line-X spray-in bed liner
Extang Trifecta Tonneau

9/11 Neither Forgive nor Forget.

Rum Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #7

I tried that "Scratch X" product on my wife's Black Mercedes. As far as her car went, this stuff is junk. All it did when I applied it and was rubbing to get the marks out, was to make more fine scratches in the paint. I was using a foam applicator along with a Micro/Fiber towel. Maybe a 4" buffing (white) pad hooked up to a drill, along with Fine Machine Polish from Adam's wax. Be careful when using this smaller pad on a drill. It creates more heat than a regular buffing pad.
Slidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

Quote:
Originally posted by Slidder:
I tried that "Scratch X" product on my wife's Black Mercedes. As far as her car went, this stuff is junk. All it did when I applied it and was rubbing to get the marks out, was to make more fine scratches in the paint. I was using a foam applicator along with a Micro/Fiber towel. Maybe a 4" buffing (white) pad hooked up to a drill, along with Fine Machine Polish from Adam's wax. Be careful when using this smaller pad on a drill. It creates more heat than a regular buffing pad.
Sure as the sun rises in the east, I would burn the paint. I would opt out using a 6" orbital buffer. They're inexpensive and easy to use.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #9

The clearcoat is a very fine layer and you don't need any compound to remove them. What you should be using is a micro finishing glaze that fills in all of those hairline scratches. You want to use 3M Finness It. I swear by it and it won't burn your paint.

Use an orbital or a regular polisher with a foam waffle pad. This will never get hot to burn the paint.

I hope this helps!

Mods: Halo Projector HID in lights and fogs, LED in grill, bed, cab and under sidestep, roll n lock bed cover, 18" Flowmaster, triple
trainhorns..., 6" Lift w/ 35" Toyo Tires
BPSG Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #10

When I get any scratch, small or otherwise, I just can't stand to know it's there. Therefore I always use my PC or a 4" pad and try the easiest way first. The less you mess with the C/coat/Paint, the better it is. Just filling in scratches may be okay but again, their still there. I'll do a 2' test section using the sofetest buffing pads with the least cutting action compounds. With the 4" pads, it's not that hard to do. Additionally, once you make your first pass, wipe the material off, and you see the scratches are still there - then buff that same area again until you see an improvement. If no improvement even after four or five times then become more agressive with the scratches. To me, it's all about taking your time until you find "exactly" what will work and then go forward from there.

With the pic. of the Cherry red Ram, there were a couple of very minute scratches "before" I got rid of them and brought the pearl in the paint back to what it originally was
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0018.JPG (104.8 KB, 34 views)
Slidder is offline   Reply With Quote