Hemi Truck Club banner

What not even a good chirp?

10K views 56 replies 20 participants last post by  TheFactor 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I had a disappointing day last Friday. My uncle has a 2003 Cummins diesel . He took my 1500 hemi for a ride and we could not even get the fool thing to chirp :cry2:. I was like "REALLY!" His diesel could break 'em loose in a heart beat. Talk about embarrassing! Is there a way to get the @#$%^&*()*&^%$#@ nannies off, or get that hemi to wake up without voiding my warranty? I ask because I have a 76000 mile bumper to bumper and I really don't want to compromise that.
Come on all you hot rodders help a fellow Hemi owner out.

Thanks in advance,

preachp

#2 ·
Find a wet spot....:)

#3 ·
4.56 gears and you should be able to get some tire noise or a wet spot lol.

A little NOS will Deff do it. A cam but your mpg may go down unless tuned. Stroker motor with a blower 4:10 gears and you can leave 2 full gears of rubber down lol!

test launch street night - YouTube

Biggest thing is it will cost a bit to get a decent amount of tire spin.

#7 ·
A lot of torque readily available much earlier than gas engines to boot.

Money is always the deciding factor, you can get factory 4.10s that can still be warranty endorsed if installed by Chrysler but expect a $2500-3500 bill.

#6 ·
Depending on how much money you want to spend. If you have bottomless pockets, you can lay down a double black stripe for 'bout as long as you want. Then there is that whole warranty thing :D. Mine will lay down a thirty-foot double-line with a bit of hip-wiggle, and it has nothing but a CAI and Magnaflow SIDOs (no nannies, either, fortunately). :rolleyes:

#8 · (Edited)
Hi All,

So what I am hearing is 1) a Diesel should act more like a hemi than a hemi does because of the bottom end torque. I am OK with the diesel having a ton of torque. BUT that does in no way excuse the fact that a 2003 Sebring with a 6 cylinder can do a way more impressive burnout than a 395 hp hemi. And lets not get into the weight thing because that Sebring weighed some 3300 pounds with a 4 speed auto at 200 hp verses a 5300 pound truck with a 395 hp 407 ft lb of torque hemi and six speed tranny.
2) I feel like I'm hearing that's OK that this truck can't even do a little tire spin. I am wondering if this is a nanny or maybe some over inflated numbers. I may not be a math whiz but that much power pumping through a set of 3:55 gears ought to break 'em loose in a heart beat. BTW the higher the ratio 3:92, 4:10 the harder it is to break them loose. Also the 70 Cuda TA, 340 sixpack, 383 and some 440 cars were equipped with factory 3:55's so don't be sounding like this is a highway gear 'cause it ain't. If it was I could probably smoke the belts right out of those tires. I am not looking for AA/F burnout, but geez at least a little spin. I mean it is plum embarrassing that it can't even chirp them.
And yes TCS was off and trans in tow/haul mode.
Don't get me wrong still love this truck but does make it kinda hard to brag on that hemi when a stock civic does a better burn out than you do.
preachp

#9 ·
A higher gear ratio rear end will most certainly help break the tires loose. Going from 3:55 to 4:10 will pretty much turn 3rd gear into 2nd gear....it'll definitely wake it up in the get-up-n-go department. Wheel slip is also affected by weight on the tires too though. You've got the short wheel base which shifts the center of gravity back and a topper which adds weight too. Having the spare tire under the back adds weight and anything in the box also adds weight.

My '06 has factory lsd 4:10s, is completely stock minus the muffler so it has less hp than your 4th gen and is a 2500 4x4 with a long box so it's quite a bit heavier overall(6,285# with me in the seat and 1/2 load of fuel) and mine will spin em pretty hard in 3rd on wet pavement. Like clutch out, going nice and then lay on it and it'll break the back end loose. I can do that in 2nd gear on dry but it really throws ya back and I run out of rpms pretty quick. I'm not quite understanding how this is an issue when you've got a lighter truck and more hp....Unless the tcm torque management still dumbs it down when the traction control is off??? maybe?

#11 ·
Fwiw my coworker's 2013 Charger R/T won't smoke the tires unless he hits it going around a turn.Not sure if it's the abs or what but the Mustang fanboys there find it hilarious.

#12 · (Edited)
If your truck had a 24" tall tire on it, then you'd be able to spin it like a civic too.
I think it all comes down to the programming of the electronic TB. My stock 5.7 would roast both tires until I got off the gas, or rolled out far enough to hook. Man I love drive by cable :)

#13 ·
Yea I remember when I was stock beside a tuner an there would be times I could one wheel peel like hell an other days where I'd hook like a sob from a dig an couldn't break them loose if I try. During the summer months my truck tend to hook quite well. Hemis HATE heat

#14 ·
i can lay about 10 ft of double black :) now mind ya a giant *** lift that transfer all the weight back and 315 wide tires dont help haha...stock on dry i could roast em on command, on wet i could floor it at 30 and put her sideways.

#15 ·
Hi DakotaJ,

I forgot about that "e-lectronicthrottle feature". Now that would make a lot of sense since they can regulate the butterfly opening separate from the actual throttle position and thus use an algorithm to control gas and air flow. This is probably what and why there is such a difference between similar trucks. Hmmmm something to look at.

preachp

#16 ·
That's probably how they're able to offer lifetime power train warrenties, by regulating torque and hp applied at what rpm.

#18 ·
Hi VA4Meds,

Nice burnout! Did you ever get something you thought was a really good thing and then regret it. But because you paid a chunk of change for it you stuck with it as long as you could tolerate it? Well I shoulda' just stuck with the factory warranty then done the necessary "adjustments" to make it act like a HEMI! Sorry just couldn't control it.

preachp

#19 ·
preachp your asking the same question that all of us asked at one time. All that power and can't even chrip the tire's. In all honesty the quest to answer that question (i think i can safely say) is what got all of us on this site and other's. I spent $1700 just to hear my tire's chirp for the first time with a slight spin. (Vararam & Dynatech's) The answer to that question i found on this site. My Dodge dealer could'nt answer it and told me it was because i had a LSD. I laughed at him. lolol The reason you can't even chirp the tire's is because of excessive TM that Dodge engineer's into the tuning. Once i put a tuner (Diablo) on the truck, i could lite them up. It reduced the TM and allowed the power to get to the wheel's on take off. Another thing i also realized at that time is that the stock tire's would spin silently also. Might be because of our local road surface IDK. You know it happening when at the top of first gear the truck's back end is trying to pass the front end without a sound from the tire's. lolol So you might be getting a little spin and not hear or notice it. Sooo the answer to your dilemma is one of 2 thing's. Reduce TM or make enough power to over come it.

#20 ·
Hi toocool,

I think that DakotaJ hit it on the head, fly by wire throttle. Couple that with air flow control and fuel flow control and they neuter an F-16! If RAM is going to use the Hemi name then they ought to have the decency to leave at least enough of the tremendous power those heads are capable of to spin the tires a bit. There are definitely situations where you will want that power available on the spot besides burnouts.
BTW I have BFG Rugged Terrain T/A's on it.

#21 ·
lolol I agree with you. Senseless to not let us have some of it on take off. Although spinning is not winning, you still want to show off some. lolol Those tire's probable have better grip than the stock tire's so they are working for you but against your wanting to spin the tire's. Put a tuner on it for your pleasure and don't forget to take it off when making a trip to the dealer.

#23 ·
I have had no problems with getting the tire to break loose. Have a 2012 Express with the 3.92. Had to get use to it breaking loose for the first few thousand miles then it would only spin with the TC off. I had a 10 Challenger and would re calibrate the TPS before I went racing and made a huge difference. It is only a short term fix as well as disconnecting the battery. Once it relearns your driving style it seems to settle back into the slump. I have 20's on my truck and you will have better performance with a smaller tire. Pumping the PSI will give you a lot of spin if you are looking to blow off the tires. Good luck and enjoy the truck.

#24 ·
What is your daily driving style? Your truck learns how you drive, as redexpress said. It doesn't know any different. If your driving style is slow roll starts and coast long before you stop, when you decide to go gonzo, it will say no mas.

#26 · (Edited)
Maybe it was the street but I was at a light the car next to me was annoying me lol anyway jumped on it when the light changed and actually smoked the tires then got out of it and leaned on it some more . I didn't even turn traction control off maybe my foot was faster then it could kick on when I let off don't know ,Stock 2015 Q-cab 4x4 hemi with stock 20's.
Definately put a smile on my face. Especially since I wasn't expecting it :eek:
Ok I better define smoked the tires , not like my cobra were I didn't go anywhere and smoke filled the car lol . More like a loud screeching sound and loss of traction slightly but it was fun !

#28 ·
Maybe it was the street but I was at a light the car next to me was annoying me lol anyway jumped on it when the light changed and actually smoked the tires then got out of it and leaned on it some more . I didn't even turn traction control off maybe my foot was faster then it could kick on when I let off don't know ,Stock 2015 Q-cab 4x4 hemi with stock 20's.
Definately put a smile on my face. Especially since I wasn't expecting it :eek:
Ok I better define smoked the tires , not like my cobra were I didn't go anywhere and smoke filled the car lol . More like a loud screeching sound and loss of traction slightly but it was fun !
-------------------------------------------
That's what counts :D...

#27 ·
:thumb::dance::dance:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.