Squeak in Engine Bay - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Trucks and Special Editions > 4th Generation Ram | 2009 - Present

Old 09-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #1

OK guys!
I have started hearing a small squeak in the Engine Bay of my '09 Ram Hemi. It doesn't do it at startup. It takes several minutes to start and then it can randomly go away, and OF COURSE it doesn't always do it!

I was thinking maybe the belt or a pulley was squeaking but I don't think so. I called a buddy at the Dodge Place and he said they have had a few complaints and problems with this and told me to try the following.

While the engine is running and it is making squeaking sound, VERY CAREFULLY, remove the power steering cap. Apparently the power steering cap has a pressure release somehow and there is some kind of defect where it isn't working correctly. The way you know that it is the Power Steering Cap is that it may blow it completely out of your hands b/c of the pressure!!! And of course if the squeak stops lol.

I haven't tried this yet but I definitely want to video it and post it on here!!!

I will let y'all know if this fixes my problem!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1551b.jpg (56.1 KB, 57 views)

tjbiskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #2

OK guys!
I have started hearing a small squeak in the Engine Bay of my '09 Ram Hemi. It doesn't do it at startup. It takes several minutes to start and then it can randomly go away, and OF COURSE it doesn't always do it!

I was thinking maybe the belt or a pulley was squeaking but I don't think so. I called a buddy at the Dodge Place and he said they have had a few complaints and problems with this and told me to try the following.

While the engine is running and it is making squeaking sound, VERY CAREFULLY, remove the power steering cap. Apparently the power steering cap has a pressure release somehow and there is some kind of defect where it isn't working correctly. The way you know that it is the Power Steering Cap is that it may blow it completely out of your hands b/c of the pressure!!! And of course if the squeak stops lol.

I haven't tried this yet but I definitely want to video it and post it on here!!!

I will let y'all know if this fixes my problem!!!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #3

Well after battling with this issue I finally took it to the Stealership. The squeak is only when the engine gets up to temp and then only when at idle, like at a redlight or in the drive-thru.

Well the dealership had the truck for 4 days and still hasn't fixed it! They replaced a seal on the harmonic balancer and now have gotten a new torque converter, torque converter bolts, and new i think flex plate.?.

The guy that is working on it said he believes the noise is traveling through the crankshaft. And he says he doesn't know of any other of these trucks doing this!?

Has anyone else heard of this or anything like it?!?

And thank goodness for lifetime warranty

TJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1551c.jpg (9.0 KB, 54 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 04:34 AM   #4
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
New one to me.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Board of Directors

Garage
A mechanics stethoscope might help locate the source of the noise.
'05 RCSB 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi Ram - Airaid Long Snorkel UBI CAI - Taylor shorty wires - MSD Coil Packs Magnaflow y-pipe - Flowmaster 50HD - Superchips 3865 - Motive 4.56 gears - Detroit Truetrac - PML differential cover some good Karma 8.87 ET
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #6

Had the same problem took it to two stealerships couple yrs back they couldn't fine the problem...... it went away....weird. as far as the power steering cap it seems to work.
BlackRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #7

Mine did that and it was the belt tensioner

GONE 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab HEMI, 2011 Dodge Durango AWD Crew HEMI, 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Quad Cab HEMI, 2008 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 HEMI, and my First 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab HEMI

2010 HTC NASCAR Champion

April 25, 2007!!
rdsetgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #8

Hey Guys,
I just wanted to give ya'll and update on my squeakn'. Yesterday my local Dodge Dealership replaced my Torque Converter and also a seal in the Harmonic Balancer, and of course under Lifetime Warranty, and they said everything is good to go.....

Well....by the time I got home which is less than 15 minutes, and pulled in the driveway there was the squeak again! It is constant when the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

It has developed one more symptom that may help diagnose it. When I turn the engine off, the engine cuts off and after about 3 seconds there is a high pitched squeal for around 5 seconds gradually getting less until it goes away. The noise seems to be come more from behind the passenger front tire side of engine.

Any Ideas!?!?! AND of course I am taking it back to the Stealership !!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2419b.jpg (30.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #9

Finally! After several months of the death squeak it got to where it was doing it often enough for the technician at the Stealership to find it!

It was the bypass hose for my Cold Air Intake !!! It was squeezing together in one of the bends and making some sort of vacuum issue! Holy Cow I would have never figured that out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1552.JPG (106.2 KB, 15 views)