Rear wheel well rust fix - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Trucks and Special Editions > 4th Generation Ram | 2009 - Present

Old 10-27-2016, 09:25 PM   #1

Rear wheel well rust fix

Well, my 09 had some signs of the notorious wheel well rust in the rear. So I took it to Line-X for the bedliner but asked them to do the rockers up to the body line in the door all the way down to cover over where I took the mudflaps off and then to go over the rear wheel wells and grind out the rust.

The guy was real honest and said he could do that but it may come back and not necessarily "fix" the issue. I told him if it bought me a few years then whatever. I didn't want to do the whole rocker and leave the one bad spot. The passenger side had some minimal bubbling starting. Driver side was fine but the paint was chipped up under the lip so I had to address that side anyways. Long story short, he said okay. Told me the real fix was to cutout and replace metal but i told him my buddy did that 2 years ago with his 03 Chevy and it was doing the same thing again....So......

Well I stopped by there yesterday and they were prepping the rockers/wheel well. They ground out the rust and sealed over it with POR 15. Then sprayed over that with the Line-X in silver to match the truck. So hoping to slow any outward rust popping in the future. After I get it tomorrow, I am going to go on the inside of the fender and wire brush and grind out what I can and do the same thing with POR 15 and then Duplicolor Bed Armor. Then I am gonna remove the tails and try to clean out the inside with maybe my Rustoleum neutralizer and then the POR and Bed Armor inside the bed cavities. Just have to see what I can do when I get in there. Hoping to be able to get to that area somewhat and wirebrush or something and clean up decent then seal up as much as possible. Maybe spray with the Rustcheck mineral oil based rust inhibitor as well. If that buys me more time then great. Would be awesome to get another 5-7 years without that issue.

Future Dodge Challenger owner...if I am rich or gas prices drop....
Many mods to come....hehehe.

JustHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2016, 07:34 AM   #2

Thumbs up

Probably about as good as you could do without removing ALL of the cancer and starting over with fresh metal .

HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:00 PM   #3

Yeah, I ended up cleaning up the inside lip and arch on both sides real well, sealing off with the POR15 adn then Bed Armor all the way. Then I popped the rails and soaked the bedside cavities with Amsoil Metal Protectant down both inside walls and looked in there with a light to make sure it was all coated. Hopefully that buys me some years to come.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2016, 06:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustHemi View Post
Yeah, I ended up cleaning up the inside lip and arch on both sides real well, sealing off with the POR15 adn then Bed Armor all the way. Then I popped the rails and soaked the bedside cavities with Amsoil Metal Protectant down both inside walls and looked in there with a light to make sure it was all coated. Hopefully that buys me some years to come.
How did you pop the rails ?

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me
Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:04 PM   #5
Greg

Garage
I don't have any rust, but rolled the fender lips so there is pocket that can easily trap mud very easily. I wire brushed the pocket and area above the lip then coated the pocket and area with bed sealant. I'm thinking it should all be water proof now. Maybe...

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #6

Rust was cut out on mine and patch panels put in and bed liner was sprayed on the back of the panel. I read that chainsaw bar oil was good to use on the inside bed fender. It has rust inhibitors in it also

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me
Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #7

Ya. Mineral oil based stuff like that. Thats what the Linex rust check stuff is. The rails are just popped in plastic. Come out real easy. Just tey to pop them straight up and dont pull back too far u can stretch the plastic and it turns white.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
I don't have any rust, but rolled the fender lips so there is pocket that can easily trap mud very easily. I wire brushed the pocket and area above the lip then coated the pocket and area with bed sealant. I'm thinking it should all be water proof now. Maybe...
You really need to coat the inside of the bed cavities. I didn't realize it until I was talking to the Line-X guy. Said the real problem is moisture inside the cavity sitting there and rusting from the inside out towards the outside and the inside, which makes sense. There were bubbles starting inside and out of my fender.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:29 PM   #9
Greg

Garage
I recently removed the fender liners and taillights when I lifted the bed off and inspected the fender area and it looks like it just came from the factory. Amazingly for being a 03. But on the other hand I haven't driven the truck in snow or even much in the rain. For 8 years it didn't get driven in the winter at all. With the last three, it hasn't even seen rain and the truck is always under cover. It is no doubt a very pampered truck.
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:41 PM   #10

Sweet. Thats good.