Radio and Compass Questions - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Trucks and Special Editions > 4th Generation Ram | 2009 - Present

Old 12-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #1

Garage
My truck came with the EVIC on it. Reading the owner's manual, it seems if a truck has the EVIC it should have a compass on it. However, mine is not displaying on the EVIC. I was wondering if anyone who has a compass had to do anything to turn it on? Or if I just didn't pay enough to get the compass.

Second, I have a friend who bought a 2012 Laramie with the touchscreen navigation unit. He has tried using the USB port to put pictures on to the unit, but can't get it to work. He tried several different thumb drives. He took it to the dealer where the technician used one from there, and it worked fine. But the technician couldn't get my friend's to work. I was wondering if the thumb drive has to be formatted a certain way or will only accept certain sizes of pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #2

Garage
My truck came with the EVIC on it. Reading the owner's manual, it seems if a truck has the EVIC it should have a compass on it. However, mine is not displaying on the EVIC. I was wondering if anyone who has a compass had to do anything to turn it on? Or if I just didn't pay enough to get the compass.

Second, I have a friend who bought a 2012 Laramie with the touchscreen navigation unit. He has tried using the USB port to put pictures on to the unit, but can't get it to work. He tried several different thumb drives. He took it to the dealer where the technician used one from there, and it worked fine. But the technician couldn't get my friend's to work. I was wondering if the thumb drive has to be formatted a certain way or will only accept certain sizes of pictures.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #3
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
The compass should be on your Information screen above the gear indicator. When the vehicle INFO is turned off.

I've not had any problems uploading pictures to my hard drive. No special formatting required. I suggest he try another thumb drive.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #4

Garage
Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong. I almost always have either the fuel economy or the tire pressure screen on. Thanks for the info.

He said he's tried five different thumb drives. I looked around on some other forums and found one guy that said he had to put an mp3 on there to make it recognize the thumb drive. I told him to give that a try. The one that worked at the dealership had music on it as well.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
I just uploaded some pictures of my truck from my computer and they went right in. Did the same thing with my 08 and never had an issue. Wish it wasn't so far.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #6

Garage
I don't know. I've never had factory navigation. I can't bring myself to pay over $1,000 for those things.

I've decided my truck doesn't have the compass. I wonder how much they cost? I know the wires are already there, I just need to get one and plug it up.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Quote:
I've decided my truck doesn't have the compass.
Gotta be there...top left hand corner of the Information screen, when it's turned off. Temperature in the upper right hand corner. It's standard on all models. Between the speedometer and tach. Key has to be "ON", not on accessory.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #8

Garage
Nope. I turned everything off so the only thing showing was the temperature in the top right and the odometer in the bottom right. No compass. I don't have the options in the system setup menu to calibrate the compass, either. I don't understand the options packages on these trucks. I have a 4x4 ST that came with chrome 20" wheels, chrome step bars, a spray in bedliner, EVIC, and a satellite radio with UConnect and bluetooth, but no compass. I know ST is kind of the bottom rung of the trim levels, just seems like if they added all that to an ST why leave out the compass, the cheapest piece of all of that? lol
Old 12-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #9
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
I sure thought the compass and temperature were standard on everything. I think I would check with the stealership and see what the build sheet says. Worth a try and that should be easy for them to do.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #10

Garage
I thought the same thing. And I thought from reading the manual, if you have the EVIC, you have the compass. It talks about compass calibration when explaining the EVIC and it never says "if equipped" or anything else to hint at it being optional. I'll give the salesman a call today and see what he says.