Oil Cooler Thread - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Trucks and Special Editions > 4th Generation Ram | 2009 - Present

Like Tree21Likes

Old 06-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #1

Oil Cooler Thread

Office workers chat around a water cooler, us dirty hand guys chat around the oil cooler.

Hi there Hemi Truck Forum! I am part of a group of guys who own Hemi Rams who have been doing some research on lubrication and these 4 gen hemi's. I am sure many of them will register here as well. We have found some things to be helpful to the issues we hemi owners have and we are looking forward to sharing what we know and learn from you guys as well. I have a 2010 SLT 4x4 RCSB and love this vehicle. If I had it to do over again, I likely would have got the 3.92's and a crew cab, but I had no idea that I would like this vehicle as much. This is my second Ram, my first was a Cummins, a little brother to my day job at the time as I was a trucker.

We have found that ester/pao based fluid have been very helpful at quieting hemi tick. In fact, 80% success rate at killing lifter tick. I know it sounds crazy, but we have had over 30 guys run this oil and it killed their tick at an 8 outta 10 clip. I'm sure they will chime in and post video's. We all were frustrated as I am sure you are with this hemi tick when you get it. I myself killed my tick just by switching oil to Redline 5w20 and also 5w30. We also have found some good info on Filtration and have some tests to share. And we have some info on gear fluids and other stuff. We have as a group done many uoa's on many fluids as well. Seams like Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP) that was made with FCA support is actually producing the lowest wear numbers in uoa's. So let's talk oil? Whatcha using?

Burla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #2

Thumbs up

To The Hemi Truck Club Family

Personally I use Mobil 1 Annual 5w-30 and Lucas conventional 85w-140 differential lube in a DTT with 4:56 Motive gears. Never had any problems with either choice - my Hemi tick is minimal but it is there and it doesn't bother me.

You will find MANY opinions here on HTC with varying degrees of knowledge and expertise...Thank You for sharing your experiences .

...and again WELCOME
Hemi395 likes this.
HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:25 AM   #3

oil filter test Maybe equally as important if not more to oil choice is filtration. We have found the spun microglass filters filter better and flow better. I have cut open every filter since i owned the vehicle and have found that Royal Purple filters are like new with extended intervals all the way up to 2 years. yes 2 years, my truck is a ranch truck and only get's driven about 5k miles a year, so my interval is 2 years and I have backed that up with 3 uoa's that says I still have good tbn at that interval. I likely will lower it to 1.5 years, but the only way any of these intervals are possible is with spun microglass filtration.

Royal Purple, Wix XP, Fram Ultra, and Amsoil EA are all microglass filters. When you look at the photo the patch is what got throw the filter, so obviously the cleaner the patch means the filter media did it's job better. The top 3 spots all went to spun microglass filters, and the 4th spot went to a combo filter that is part microglass. Each rectangle is a different filter, and the cleaner ones means the filter caught the material at 30 microns.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiFun05 View Post
To The Hemi Truck Club Family

Personally I use Mobil 1 Annual 5w-30 and Lucas conventional 85w-140 differential lube in a DTT with 4:56 Motive gears. Never had any problems with either choice - my Hemi tick is minimal but it is there and it doesn't bother me.

You will find MANY opinions here on HTC with varying degrees of knowledge and expertise...Thank You for sharing your experiences .

...and again WELCOME
Thanks for the welcome. I was invited by a member here I am sure he will chime in. He has done a ton of work on this as he also suffered from hemi tick. He has used more oils then anyone I know to search for answers.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #5

I've been using Shell Rotella T6 5w40 and any one of these filters: Mobil1 M1-301/Purolator PL30001/STP S8AXL. My 2004 hemi has almost 205k miles on it now and the engine has never been opened for any reason. I've had my oil samples tested by Blackstone labs for the last 3 oil changes and am currently doing 12k miles between oil changes at their recommendation since the tbn's are still good so far up to 10k miles. Filtration has been excellent from those samples as well with the filters I have been using.
Burla likes this.
xtremwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
Chris

The 20,000 reply thread on ramforum hasn’t been enough of an argument for you guys? I haven’t seen very many people on this forum complain about the tick, but you’ll have to look pretty far to find anyone with stock engines or parts.
ric3xrt likes this.
4.56 and Detroit TruTrac-Custom Morimoto Projector Headlights
Tuned by Charged392
Tons of Pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums
YeahItsAHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #7

Sounds great, if it aint broke don't fix it. Seams like there is a lot of disinformation with diesel oils and gas engines, they are a good option imo. You are using 5w40 is the 5.7? That is another thing, from another forum about 1/2 of the place is using 30 weight or heavier and no problems with the mds. One single individual said he had a CEL but there was no follow up. I've been using 30 weight for about 5 years now, no issues. The exact oil made with FCA assistance was the 0w40 PUP, Ram wants the high moly in the hemi. The moly in PUP 0w40 is very high.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #8

YeahItsAHemi I don't participate in that thread due to the arguing and certainly hope mods here are better then over there as I have no desire to argue. Just trying to enjoy a hemi forum.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #9

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burla View Post
YeahItsAHemi I don't participate in that thread due to the arguing and certainly hope mods here are better then over there as I have no desire to argue. Just trying to enjoy a hemi forum.
----------------------------------------
You've come to the right place - we tolerate very little bickering here - we are here to learn , help and have fun .
ric3xrt and Burla like this.
HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #10

Keep in mind that my 2004 hemi doesn't have MDS. I know this is in the 4th gen forum but I don't think an oil topic should be model year specific. I do have the hemi tick but then the motor has had it for the last 10 year and over 150k miles that I have owned the truck. I put anywhere from 10k to 15k miles on it per year.

Concerning the hemi tick, an interesting side note is that there is an person on ramforum that seems to have solved his hemi tick by simply re-torquing the rocker shafts on his engine. I do plan on building my engine or even completely replacing with a built engine but I am tempted to give that a try at some point to see if it makes a difference in mine before I pull it.
Hemi395 and Burla like this.
xtremwlr is offline   Reply With Quote