More air from k&n ? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Trucks and Special Editions > 4th Generation Ram | 2009 - Present

Old 06-03-2015, 07:17 AM   #1

Garage
More air from k&n ?

I put a k&n cai and retired that restricted air box on my 2013 ram sport reg. cab. Big difference , but I know there's gotta be a way to get more air to that big filter. The only air getting to it is coming through that area right above the passenger side headlight. Maybe a half inch x 5. Any suggestions on getting more air?? What is that little flap inside the fender well? Is it to get to the headlight better? Maybe I could get more air by taking that off. It just pops in with plastic pins.I can't afford a viper hood!!

JimmzHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 07:49 AM   #2

big difference in noise, i bet not much performance difference.
not really much you can do to direct more air to it, i wouldn't remove the headlight flap in a quest for air, you'll get water up in there as well.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:37 AM   #3

Garage
No, not a big difference by itself but the CAI combined with the flow master exhaust, and 93 diablo tune (dcx-i1000), packs a big punch. I dropped the back 2 inches, put smaller tires n rims on and it's a heck of a lot quicker now. For about $1,000 bucks for everything I've added, it'll hold it's own against most trucks I've come across. A ford Harley Davidson addition truck pulled up beside me one day and I showed him what my tailgate looks like,"from a distance "!!! He wasn't happy afterwards. I'm happy with it, that's all that matters.
JimmzHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
Gold-Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmzHemi View Post
I'm happy with it, that's all that matters.
That is a very true statement. And is all that matters.
05 1500 SLT Quad Black on Black | Pace Setter Long Tubes | Magna Flow Cat Back | Doug's Electric Cutout | Custom Ram Air Hood | Spyder LED Tails | Spec-D Black Projectors W/Halos | Flex-A-Lite E-Fan |Jet 180 Stat | K&N CAI | 20 inch wheels | Comp 268 Cam W/6.1 push rods and springs | Diablo Trinity | Custom Tune by Charged392.

kcd1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #5

Garage
With my Volant cai, they offer an additional tube that goes from the bottom of the cai box to behind the passenger side fog light. You take out the fog light and have "ram air." I didn't like the idea of taking out the light, so I didn't purchase it. Perhaps K & N has something similar??

Hemi-fied 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #6
john

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to wolf_with_the_red_rose1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-fied 03 View Post
With my Volant cai, they offer an additional tube that goes from the bottom of the cai box to behind the passenger side fog light. You take out the fog light and have "ram air." I didn't like the idea of taking out the light, so I didn't purchase it. Perhaps K & N has something similar??
i thanking about gettin the kit for my 04 because i dont have the fog lights
has anyone ran this kit how well does it work
Old 06-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #7

Question

Could have water issues in high water or very heavy rains .
HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:50 PM   #8
Matt

Garage
Shouldn't be driving through high water anyway.............definitely not the recommended method
2011 Ram 2500 ST 4x4, 5.7L Hemi, crew cab, short box, 4:10 gear ratio with rear LSD, 180 amp alternator, tow mirrors w/ puddle and signal lamps, popular options group, carpet deleted, Ranch Hand front bumper, 9500# winch, pair of 100w KC lights, Magnum RT steps, Line-x sprayed bedliner, stampede o/e style fender flares, Ram branded oversize rubber mud flaps, stampede smoked bug deflector, Dee Zee toolbox

MANual_puller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:14 AM   #9
Truck of the year 2014

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmzHemi View Post
No, not a big difference by itself but the CAI combined with the flow master exhaust, and 93 diablo tune (dcx-i1000), packs a big punch. I dropped the back 2 inches, put smaller tires n rims on and it's a heck of a lot quicker now. For about $1,000 bucks for everything I've added, it'll hold it's own against most trucks I've come across. A ford Harley Davidson addition truck pulled up beside me one day and I showed him what my tailgate looks like,"from a distance "!!! He wasn't happy afterwards. I'm happy with it, that's all that matters.

This is for sure the reason for the difference in power you feel. I normally run 30 ratio tires, but for the yearly inspection over here I have to run the stock 55 ratio tires. I thought something was wrong with the engine, the difference in power was that much! On the 55 tires my truck felt a lot more sluggish than on the 30 ratio tires!

Heigth difference:

Christof Matthys - 2003 2x4 QC Ram hemi - 0-60: 5,4 sec @ 6900 pounds - tuned by Charged392 - 392 stroker - vararam - Flexalite Efan - 170 T stat - Taylor shorty wires - pacesetter headers - true duals - evap delete - airco delete - truetrac lsd rear diff, 3.92 gears, T56 6 speed manual - homebuilt rear axle flip - Charged 392 design longbars - energy suspension poly bushings - michelin contisportcontact 275/30 R20 - 2/4,5 drop - hydroboost swap - srt front 4 piston caliper swap - PLX Devices AFR, fuel pressure, OBDII logger

Belgiquebasterd is offline   Reply With Quote