Hemi Truck Club banner

Chirping noise possibly lifter issue?

39K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  Daredevil 
#1 · (Edited)
2012 Ram 1500 2wd Hemi
So the last couple weeks I have been to the bank twice and heard a bird chirping while sitting in the drive thru next to the brick building. First time I thought it was just a damn bird up under the canopy/overhang, but I heard the same noise yesterday and figured I better check out the belt and pulleys after I got home. Away from the building it isn't audible either in the truck or standing outside of it, but after the hood is up and listening then I can hear it. It is very intermittent and obviously not very loud. Sprayed water on the belt where I could reach from above without a change. But to be honest I couldn't get the water sprayed hardly anywhere with the shroud in the way and the fan blowing it away. The belt has some signs of wear so will be replacing that shortly, while also checking the pulleys with the belt off. A couple years ago I had replaced the belt, idler and tensioner pulleys on my previous '04 Ram, but that was a different noise like a whine that got louder with increasing RPMs.

I watched some Ram belt/pulley noise youtube videos and came across some people with the same chirping noise, although a bit louder it appears, and some are claiming after replacing the belt and pulleys that it ended up being the lifters. They go on to claim that it can lead to lifter and cam failure due to the cheap plastic guides, some dealerships are now telling them this, etc. These comments are all within the past few weeks to a year. So it's possible that this is a major issue now cropping up on '12 and '13 models, or it's entirely possible these people are full of ****. Anyone heard of such a problem with our trucks? I searched but couldn't find anything more about it.

I traded in a perfectly good '04 for my '12 simply due to mileage and the number of miles I put on a truck, I'll be pissed if this leads to a major issue. Link is below with the lifter comments,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxBU01ra6gA

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I heard that on my 3rd gen. Thought it was the tensioner and replaced it. Noise was still there. Trying to track it down, I believe it's coming from the alt. Checked the bearing for play and found none. Was still trying to track it down, but it went away. It's been a couple months now and it hasn't come back that I've noticed. There have been some lifter problem's in the 4th gen. Hopefully not a major problem just a annoying one. Try taking the belt off and see if the noise goes away with it running. Let us know what you find it.

#3 ·
Take the belt off the truck and check again that noise sounds pretty solid like tap no really a squeak to me more of a sliding tick type noise. Remove belt and see if the noise is gone if it is then it’s likelyon the belt or accessory setup if still there get to digging in sadly

#4 ·
The link is not my truck, or video. My truck makes a very similar sound but not as loud and much more intermittent.

I have a new belt on order and will remove the old belt this weekend, and start the engine before the new belt goes on. I'll update when I know more.

There have been some lifter problem's in the 4th gen.
I didn't know there was an issue with 4th gen lifters. I am definitely not happy to hear about it.

#5 ·
I researched a little more about the lifter problems. It seems to be narrowed down to the 2011 trucks, specifically cylinder #5, and after many more miles than my current 99k. So I feel a little better and much more optimistic haha!

My truck does have the tick from the right side manifold. I haven't dug into yet, but I'm 90% sure it's just from the manifold/studs and not the drivetrain. It started up towards end of last winter. Always goes away after the truck warms up, maybe a minute if that.

#6 ·
Even though it seems to be narrowed down to the 2011 trucks, any '09+ has the potential. It appears to start with a very noticeable tick, which some Hemi's are notorious for, but eventually the CEL comes on especially when under load such as passing another vehicle on the highway. The code reads as a cylinder misfire, which leads to the lifter/cam failure. Some also mention their trucks shake real bad when the CEL comes on under acceleration. The problem doesn't seem to be related to MDS as it has happened on non MDS engines.
I don't have any of those issues so I feel a little better and much more optimistic. Not that this should matter but I always turn off the MDS cause it annoys the hell out me and I get better mpg without it active.
If the belt/pulleys is not my chirp issue then I'll send an oil analysis as that seems to be the best method to track down an internal problem.

I have used either Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec on this truck, same as my previous trucks. Change every 10K with Wix or Mopar filter. Oil always looks very good.

#8 ·
Does the misfire identify the cylinder?

#9 ·
I don't have a CEL. My earlier posts were simply explaining the issues I found from others with the lifter problem. My motor seems fine other than the tick on cold start and now this chirping noise. I have assumed the cold start ticking is simply from broken manifold studs as that is very common. But now I'm second guessing and need to dig into it more. Hopefully the ticking is just the manifold studs and chirp is hopefully an exhaust issue as well. Or this is all potentially leading to the lifter failure.

#11 ·
I agree, and am not happy about it. Pisses me off that Dodge knows about this problem and won't issue a recall. This will likely be my last Dodge.
I refuse to take my vehicles to the dealer, recalls being an exception. One of my best friends is a mechanic, one of the few mechanics I trust. So I plan to purchase new lifters, and possibly camshaft, and take my truck to him almost 6 hours away.
Does anyone know the updated part numbers for the MDS lifters as well as the non-MDS lifters? Lots of varying info online unfortunately. I may just go ahead and delete the MDS as I don't like it anyway.

#12 ·
Unfortunately, it is likely a lifter. I just went through this exact scenario on my 2015 Ram. The failed lifters are very common on the 09-up Hemi motors. My truck had 51,000 miles and is maintained religiously. Started out as a minor chirp that got louder over the course of a couple weeks. I removed the belt, and the chirping noise as still there. Ended up being a failed MDS lifter.

#13 ·
Excellent! Nicely done..

#14 ·
Update: A miracle may have happened last week!
I haven't had the time nor money to replace lifters and have put around 20k miles on the truck since I first noticed the lifter tick last August. Although the tick got a little louder over the course of this time I never got a CEL due to misfire and it always drove just fine. Back when I was researching the lifter problem I read a lot of posts in regards to oil and found that Pennzoi Platinum and Ultra Platinum are highly recommended. I've thought Pennzoil is junk for many years but decided to give it a shot, plus synthetic technology has greatly improved. Last week I needed an oil change and went with Platinum 5w20, nobody had the Ultra in stock. Immediately after the change my truck has not had the tick! I've put close to 600 miles on it since then and still no tick. I do believe these 4th Gen Hemis are picky about oil now. Maybe it wasn't a lifter tick and altogether something different, but I'll thank my lucky stars for the time being. Also, this is likely irrelevant but I went with a Mopar filter, had used Wix up until this oil change.

#15 ·
Updating that chirp/tick issue finally. Back in May this year I finally got my truck to my mechanic, two states away, to swap the cam and lifters. I ended up getting a stage 2 low lift cam from Jay Green and also the Hellcat lifters from him. I figured I may as well get a little more power. On the way to his place about 6 hours away the CEL finally came on when I had to accelerate hard entering the highway but immediately went off, then came on again and stayed on about 25 miles from his house. Timing is everything I guess! Funny thing is that it drove fine, but I also wasn't accelerating hard. Ended up being cylinder #7 misfire. I was expecting it for months prior, I guess the truck knew it was time haha. Anyway, the lifter had slid out of the plastic retainer about halfway and actually had rotated sideways 90 degrees. You can imagine what that cam lobe looked like! I kept the old cam and will have to upload a pic.

I also didn't want the mds to activate anymore so I got a Diablo tuner. You don't need the plugs that are sold to plug off the mds solenoids under the intake. Eventually I'll get a tune from Jay Green but am running the 87 tune on the Diablo and love it. It seems to prefer Philips 66 gas now. I did try the 91 tune and gas but it wasn't a huge difference and mileage suffered as well.

It sucked having to do all this but the truck is excellent again and better than before.

#16 ·
Sounds like progress was made... well done..

#17 ·
glad you nipped it before it got to expensive,

Reactions: Redtruck-VA
#18 ·
Oh it was expensive enough. I saved around $500 from what it would have been through the dealer or a local mechanic. Savings would have been more had I not elected to go with a Jay Green cam and the Diablo tuner. But I figured I may as well since it all had to be replaced anyway. Plus I also got a new timing chain, idler pulley and tensioner, etc. My mechanic also changed out the broken exhaust manifold studs, and the heads were inspected and decked. Wish I had gotten long tube headers too, but I was spending enough as it was.
Last week I got new tires and put in new Bilstein shocks so she's damn near like a new truck now. Next I want to get a cold air intake that actually works but haven't decided on either the S&B or the Mopar. Those seem to be the only two that actually has a noticeable power increase from reviews online, but am still not certain I will even get one.

#26 ·
:eek: :banghead:

#20 ·
Damn... a broken lifter yoke is a concern for all of us... there isn't a real upgrade available.

#21 ·
Yeah I suppose it is. I bought the truck three years ago with 34k miles. I now have 141k. I put lots of miles on her towing 800lbs frequently, but never really romp on it like racing around. I had used Mobil 1 or Control Syntec but switched to Pennzoil Platinum earlier this year when researching the lifter problem and found that to be the preferred choice. Hoping it won't happen again but with as many miles I drive I guess I'll find out lol.

#22 ·
for a 09 and Up the Var a ram is hard to beat, the older trucks it's waste of money.

#23 ·
Thanks, I had forgotten about the Vararam. There are a lot of negative reviews but those seem to be from whiny bitches who can't install things right to begin with, or simply lack the know-how to correct minor issues. It's a couple hundred less than the Mopar unit so I may give it a shot.

You guys like the Pedal Commander? I don't like the lack of throttle response and am wondering if it's a worthy buy and no long term negative side effects.

#24 ·
Throttle sensitivity can be adjusted in a custom tune.

#25 ·
Thanks Redtruck. Since I already have the Diablo then the PC would end up being a waste in the long run. I will get a custom tune from Jay Greene once I get a few more mods. I'm not going crazy with it as it is my daily, but I think I'll get the Vararam and Moe's ported throttle body now, then exhaust hopefully early next year. Should I go with the 85mm or 87mm TB? Already having a 204/222 low lift cam, would it benefit the 87mm better?

#28 ·
Just a quick update on my Ram. I now have 175k miles without any issues whatsoever. Oil changes every 5k miles with either Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum 5w20. Cam/lifter swap was done at about 125k miles almost two years ago. The Greene Racing cam has been spectacular, plus I got Jay's tuning about a year ago along with Vararam intake, Moe's 87mm TB, e-fan and B2 Fab 14" muffler. The 65rfe is fine so far, but I don't beat on it much. I have SW longtube headers ready to go on soon and hoping that will help with power response in lower rpms. Will also get the 6.4 intake manifold later this year. If those don't help in lower rpms too much I may elect to get a higher stall torque converter. Beyond that I may eventually get LSD rear end with 4.10s, currently has stock 3.55s. May also switch out the TB for a Fastman 84mm.

I don't have any track times but may get to a track this year, or at least get a Dragy soon.

#30 ·
I would do that next, but I drive on the highway a ton and don't want to screw the mpgs too much. Especially with gas prices going up now. As it is right now I'm getting about 18 on the highway and 15 in town. If I didn't drive it so much it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I'm also about to swap the 87 tune back in due to gas prices and pray for a miracle to happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.