2013 Big Horn 4x4 plowing questions - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Trucks and Special Editions > 4th Generation Ram | 2009 - Present

Old 03-17-2019, 08:48 AM   #1

2013 Big Horn 4x4 plowing questions

Has anyone out there have a plow on their 2013 dodge ram 1500 Big Horn?

Someone posted this
The 1/2 tons with Auto mode have the Borg Warner 44-44 transfer case which is engaged by clutch packs. There are some threads out there with hundreds of pages worth to read through on how this operates. Basically in Auto mode the truck is 2WD until a slippage is detected as said above. Once the slippage has been corrected, back to 2WD you go.

Be advised, 4WD "Lock" mode does not actually keep you in 4WD. Again, the truck will only engage 4WD when it detects loss of traction. There is a mix of reports out there saying the truck will disengage 4WD until you come to a complete stop, or some say it will disengage when you release the gas pedal. But there is no true constant 4WD available on the 44-44 case.

I was wondering how it is plowing, I'm going to add my 7.5 fisher blade to truck but now I find out about the electronic 4x4.
Its not a true locking 4x4 system.
If in 4x4 auto means if your rear wheels start to spin front will kick in.
If in 4x4 lock it means about the same think its not in a true/positive lock like my 2004 ram 4x4, seems they use a clutch pack for this and it keeps pressure on the pack until the rear wheels spin at least a half turn then fronts kick in.
I guess Dodge put one over on all the 2013 and trucks who have this transfer case 44-44 by labeling the dash switch with 4x4 lock.

So with the snow we get here in Boston area anyone have a plow on their 2013 and how does it perform in say a foot of snow?

thanks

dss56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
Greg

Garage
Sorry, can't help with your question. But IMO Dodge put it over on any 4x4 owner that doesn't have some type of rear traction control.

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote