2011 RES radio issues - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Trucks and Special Editions > 4th Generation Ram | 2009 - Present

Old 12-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #1
Matt

Garage
2011 RES radio issues

Having some issues with my radio. It's not the fancy one, just the RES model. It seems to have some sort of connectivity issue with the internal(?) amplifier. It acts like a cold solder or loose connection. I figured out where I need to hit the dash to make it work again about 90% of the time

How hard would it be to replace the stereo with an aftermarket? Will I anger the truck and have codes all the time? I replaced the stereo in my old '02 neon, that was pretty straight forward. My '06 Ram would set a code for the cd player not working....I can imagine this idea would be a giant PITA courtesy of the canbus system.

I feel lazy about this. I could probably fix it more economically if I can find the problem, I just don't care too much for the stereo that's there enough to try without asking about replacing it first.

Don't particularly want to spend what the dealership wants to fix it......

Ideas/suggestions?

2011 Ram 2500 ST 4x4, 5.7L Hemi, crew cab, short box, 4:10 gear ratio with rear LSD, 180 amp alternator, tow mirrors w/ puddle and signal lamps, popular options group, carpet deleted, Ranch Hand front bumper, 9500# winch, pair of 100w KC lights, Magnum RT steps, Line-x sprayed bedliner, stampede o/e style fender flares, Ram branded oversize rubber mud flaps, stampede smoked bug deflector, Dee Zee toolbox

MANual_puller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2015, 05:04 AM   #2

Garage
I'm not exactly sure how your bezel is but if your interested I have an extra stock radio for my '13 that looks like this.

2015 Dodge RAM 1500 Radio Uconnect Satellite Ready | eBay

If it'll work I can just send it to you and you can have it. But I'd have to plug it into my truck to make sure it's not vin locked. I know for the Chevys you can't just swapped radios. When they are programmed they get programmed with the vin. So when you go to swap them they are locked...

hemiram13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:08 AM   #3

Garage
I used a JVC KD-AR780. Mine was very easy, installation-wise. The center panel on yours is different, but still not bad from what I've read. Don't cheap out - make sure you get the wiring harness adapter loom and a proper face plate. Use solder and heat-shrink tubing.

As for the CANBUS - I don't have that, fortunately.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #4

Just get the harness adapter and all should be good. I have an after market in my 04 ram and in the 07 charger with no problems
Old 12-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #5
Matt

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiram13 View Post
I'm not exactly sure how your bezel is but if your interested I have an extra stock radio for my '13 that looks like this.

2015 Dodge RAM 1500 Radio Uconnect Satellite Ready | eBay

If it'll work I can just send it to you and you can have it. But I'd have to plug it into my truck to make sure it's not vin locked. I know for the Chevys you can't just swapped radios. When they are programmed they get programmed with the vin. So when you go to swap them they are locked...
I'm going to politely decline this offer. I'm not looking to upgrade that far to have a big screen. I just want a working radio that's easy to use
2011 Ram 2500 ST 4x4, 5.7L Hemi, crew cab, short box, 4:10 gear ratio with rear LSD, 180 amp alternator, tow mirrors w/ puddle and signal lamps, popular options group, carpet deleted, Ranch Hand front bumper, 9500# winch, pair of 100w KC lights, Magnum RT steps, Line-x sprayed bedliner, stampede o/e style fender flares, Ram branded oversize rubber mud flaps, stampede smoked bug deflector, Dee Zee toolbox

Old 12-03-2015, 10:18 PM   #6
Matt

Garage
I'm going to yank it out this weekend and see what I can do. If I get it fixed, great, then I'll have something to sell to offset part of the cost whenever I do upgrade.

I found a couple other examples where people had the same issue I'm having so it's a potential problem that could affect several vehicles. Both instances I found the owner's solution was to have a dealer replace it. Both cases that worked. I'm not paying what a dealer wants for a stock radio

Old 12-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #7

I have a Blaupunkt San Diego 530 with nav that I've had in for about 8 months. Really like it. No codes or anything in my '07.

Shifterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:18 PM   #8

Garage
Any luck towards resolving this issue ?
DRKNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:35 PM   #9
Matt

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifterbrains View Post
I have a Blaupunkt San Diego 530 with nav that I've had in for about 8 months. Really like it. No codes or anything in my '07.
Sweet. There is some hope for an easy swap.

I took it all apart. Nothing visually wrong with any of the board solder connections on either the main board or the face board. I blew it all out with some electronics air. I'm thinking the problem may be internal in the volume control knob. It seems to only do it on volumes 11 and 12. Quieter or louder and it seems to be fine. Worst part is those are my ideal settings when driving I turned it up to 13 and only drove it a few times and hasn't quit, we'll see how it goes this week. It's something specifically with the volume control and/or amplifier. When the sound cuts out turning the volume knob does nothing even on the display. I can turn it off and on, change stations, change inputs. It seems to do everything else just fine but with no sound. If it were sound signal to or from the amplifier I'm assuming that I should still see the volume level on the display and be able to control the amplifier. I don't think it's an input/output problem for this reason. Unfortunately, I'm probably looking at having to replace it at some point.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #10

I think most current volume controls are of the "continuous spin" variety, and operate sort of the way a vehicle speed sensor works: by counting rotational pulses and stepping up voltage in the control circuit to the amplifier. Not sure about the RES model. Mine was an REF. But the problem you describe kind of does sound like a bad spot on a potentiometer. Maybe flush it out with DeOxit?

Shifterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote