Questions for andy and/or janet - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > Forum Admin, Support and News

Old 08-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #1

Garage
Questions for andy and/or janet

I do not have any idea how ownership or stewardship of a web site operates, so please bear with me. It appears to me that operation of our beloved Hemi Truck Club site has been left to flounder on its own. Initially, after the change of stewardship, there were some changes to the format but then everything went flat. The home page is pathetically out of date. Items there are years old for example posts about the recent rally in Branson, MO., (this was a couple of years ago). Since then, we have had Rallies in Huntsville, AL and this year in Eurecka Springs,AR. I won't go on and on with examples but, I do have some questions I want to ask you folks as the stewards of the site.

As stewards, do you remain commited to making this site what it once was?

Assuming that you do, what are your plans for updating the site?

Within what time frame are you expecting to accomplish said updates?

What can we as members do to help?

If however, that you are finding this site not to be what you expected and you have had a change of heart and no longer are interested in the site, please let us know. If that is the case, let us know what if anything we as members can to to keep this site that we consider to be the glue that holds this "family" of like minded members together.

Respectfully yours
Nathan Reichart
aka Rolling Thunder
Member since 2004

http://www.hemitruckclub.com/attachm...epic3972_3.gif
ROLLING THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Forum Admin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLING THUNDER View Post

As stewards, do you remain commited to making this site what it once was?

Assuming that you do, what are your plans for updating the site?

Within what time frame are you expecting to accomplish said updates?

What can we as members do to help?

Nathan - thanks for you thoughts. In the few months since the ownership change the community has undergone enormous change. We've moved to a more stable software platform and redesigned the forum to improve navigation and add many new features. In order to do that members had to reset passwords and this kind of change causes upheaval.

The Community is member driven and to that end, the BOD is tasked with the day to day operation of the forum, keeping discussion going, handling problems as they arise, etc.

The old home page is out of date and will be redone. The plan is to have reviews, industry news and features as well as member submitted content like articles, featured rigs and travel information - sort of magazine style. When that page is redone, members will be able to submit that sort of info as well as trip reports but a small team of folks to edit that page will be needed. There is a great opportunity to support the community in that regard.

All this takes time and to be truthful, we go slowly to give members time to adjust to the new format and any changes.

Are there specific features you would like to see?
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
I wish I had the answers Nathan. Many of us feel the same way but things are out of our hands. If anyone has an ideas that would bring HTC back to life I for one would sure like to hear it.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
Board of Directors

Garage
amen Doug......

Mods: Coming Soon

cruel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Formerly 'Vince'

Personally I would like to see a mobile app, preferably TapaTalk.

My life is almost entirely communicated on my smartphone, a little on my iPad and almost never on a computer anymore. While I still wouldn't have time to post as often as I used to years ago, being able to quickly open an app that auto-aggregates my topics is a huge convenience.

There was talk of this when HTC first changed hands, but I haven't heard much of it since. TapaTalk now has a free version, along with the paid version, so there is no longer a concern about costing the membership money.

Things like organized group buys and Q&A sessions with OEMs were also a draw.
SharaDon Stage IV transmission, Edge 3000 Stall TQ, 4.56 gears, Detroit TrueTrac

'14 1500 4x4 Limited - Granite Crystal
Reliability Enhancers:
Left stock
4dhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #6

Garage
Janet, first, I want to thank you for your reply to my query.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Nathan - thanks for you thoughts. In the few months since the ownership change the community has undergone enormous change. We've moved to a more stable software platform and redesigned the forum to improve navigation and add many new features. In order to do that members had to reset passwords and this kind of change causes upheaval.

Being from the "old school" I am sadly lacking in computer skills. Therefore, I am unable to know that new is better but, because of my above lack of computer skills, I will bow to the experts. I will eventually grow to understand the new system. Just remember that I am old as dirt.

The Community is member driven and to that end, the BOD is tasked with the day to day operation of the forum, keeping discussion going, handling problems as they arise, etc.

Would you please explain what specifically is being required of the BOD as far as handling problems as they arise? I hope they that if they have responsibilities that they also have the authority to do what is neccessary. What responsibility does the Forum manager have it the day to day operations?

The old home page is out of date and will be redone. The plan is to have reviews, industry news and features as well as member submitted content like articles, featured rigs and travel information - sort of magazine style. When that page is redone?, members will be able to submit that sort of info as well as trip reports but a small team of folks to edit that page will be needed. There is a great opportunity to support the community in that regard.

All this takes time and to be truthful, we go slowly to give members time to adjust to the new format and any changes.

This all sounds good but, what is the schedule for this to happen? I have had several people tell me that they logged unto the site and decided that the site must be fairly dead just because of the "Home" page refering to articles such as the review of the 2009 Ram or the 2011 Truck Of The Year. This does not encourage potential new members to join. We have given our existing members adequate time to adjust.

NOW, WE MUST MOVE ON IF WE ARE TO CONTINUE !

Are there specific features you would like to see?
I think something like a "Forum" wide news letter where members can submit their info to an editor so to speak (someone who would take the info, perhaps add to it and make report on it). Somewhat similiar to what the Texas Chapter does. The initial submittal could be sent to the so called editor via PM and he/she could develop the submittal into a report.

I would be happy to volunteer to do this or to work with someone else of your choosing.

Another idea I have is to start a "Biography" section. This could include a write up and photo's about the member, their family, their interests, what they used to drive and what they do with their truck. Is it a work truck, is it stock, do you race it or do you"show" it. Etc.etc.etc.................. Hopefully, this could be set up so that they were arranged alphabetically by the members name to make them easy to find.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
Board of Directors

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
Personally I would like to see a mobile app, preferably TapaTalk.

My life is almost entirely communicated on my smartphone, a little on my iPad and almost never on a computer anymore. While I still wouldn't have time to post as often as I used to years ago, being able to quickly open an app that auto-aggregates my topics is a huge convenience.

There was talk of this when HTC first changed hands, but I haven't heard much of it since. TapaTalk now has a free version, along with the paid version, so there is no longer a concern about costing the membership money.

Things like organized group buys and Q&A sessions with OEMs were also a draw.
I don't remember the last time I went online on an actual computer lol. HTC on tapatalk would be awesome.
HTC MEMBER #2460
2005 Yellow Rumble Bee 4x4 Second Swarm #3248
2015 Peterbilt 389, 550hp Cummins ISX

AlbertaHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #8

R/T,

Under "User CP" there is a "edit details" tab which allows you to fill in information like biography or simply put in a link that would carry you to your social media profile(Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and similar), don't know if that would sate your appetite so to speak about member information or not, figure I'd just throw it out there!

2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Laramie MegaCab 4x4

BTeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #9

Garage
NO

I am thinking about something High Profile where it jumps out at you. Maybe the home page would be a prominent place for it. That way prospecive members would be able to see who we are. I also say no to links to facebook etc. I think it should be 100% exclusive to the HTC.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
Forum Admin

We'll get tapatalk installed and also roll out our own free version in the very near future.

As for the home page, we started working on a new design but we need to find members to help us update. Alternatively we could just route the home page here to the forums which is where the action is anyway. Thoughts?
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote