Chat Room Login Help - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > Forum Admin, Support and News

Old 01-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
Forum Admin

Garage
Chat Room Login Help

There have been several reports that members are having trouble accessing the the HTC chat room.

This recent issue has to do with Java (the software the drives the chat application) heightening their security measures in order to better protect users against malicious attacks on the internet. Because of this, you will now have to do a bit of configuring both in your browser as well as your Java control panel, in order to resume using the chat application.

The following instructions are divided into sections that pertain to three of the available browsers: Chrome, Firefox, and IE.

If you are unsure about what version of Java you have running you can check by visiting the java site verification tool here: https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp. Once you have updated your Java version you may begin by checking to ensure that your browser is not set to automatically block Java applets.

In Internet Explorer

1. Open your browser and go to Internet Options (the gear-shaped icon in the upper right corner)

2. Next select the Security tab on the top, and click the Custom Level button towards the bottom

3. Now scroll to the section that handles the scripting of Java applets. Here you should make sure that this option is not set to disable. It should be either Enable (automatically allows Java to run) or Prompt (asks you each time to allow/deny.)

In Chrome

1. Open your browser, and type in the address bar: chrome://plugins

2. Navigate to the Java plugin and ensure that it is not disabled (grayed out.) Here, if you have the Always Allow box checked, it will automatically run Java without asking you. If the box is not checked, Chrome will prompt you to give permission each time.

In Firefox

1. Open your browser, and go to the Add-ons settings.

2. Select the Plugins tab on the left-hand side, and navigate to the Java plugin. Make sure that you either have Ask to Activate (will prompt you each time Java tries to run) or Always Activate (automatically runs without asking you.)

Now that you have verified that your browser is not blocking Java, the final step is to add a couple of site names to the Exceptions list within the Java Console itself.

First, you will need to open up the Java Console.

In Windows

1. Go to Start and search: configure java

In Mac (OS X)

1. Click the Apple icon in the upper left of the screen
2. Select System Preferences
3. Select the icon for the Java Control Panel

The next thing you are going to want to do is select the Security tab and then the Edit Site List button.

Now you will need to add two separate entries to this exception list:
1. http://www.hemitruckclub.com
2. http://client11.addonchat.com

Now click Ok, accept the following prompt, and exit the Java Console.

Lastly, you will want to reopen your browser. Now when you navigate to the chat section, you will be prompted to run the Java application. Click Run, and you should be all set.

--

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
Queen Kima - Whemi BOD

Thank you so much for helping us with this issue, Janet. This got my chatroom back and running.

Mrs.Studmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #3

Question

I will go back and try again...
HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
Gold-Member

Garage
Do you think any of this will help on an Android tablet? I use Chrome on it too.
05 1500 SLT Quad Black on Black | Pace Setter Long Tubes | Magna Flow Cat Back | Doug's Electric Cutout | Custom Ram Air Hood | Spyder LED Tails | Spec-D Black Projectors W/Halos | Flex-A-Lite E-Fan |Jet 180 Stat | K&N CAI | 20 inch wheels | Comp 268 Cam W/6.1 push rods and springs | Diablo Trinity | Custom Tune by Charged392.

kcd1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #5

Unhappy

I've tried IE 9, 10 & 11 with every permutation I can think of doing and it still doesn't work for me .
I'm sure the fixes have helped some though...thank you for your efforts.

HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
Gold-Member

Garage
Worked for me

Followed the steps for Chrome and it now works perfectly.

Thank you
05 1500 SLT Quad Black on Black | Pace Setter Long Tubes | Magna Flow Cat Back | Doug's Electric Cutout | Custom Ram Air Hood | Spyder LED Tails | Spec-D Black Projectors W/Halos | Flex-A-Lite E-Fan |Jet 180 Stat | K&N CAI | 20 inch wheels | Comp 268 Cam W/6.1 push rods and springs | Diablo Trinity | Custom Tune by Charged392.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
Gold-Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiFun05 View Post
I've tried IE 9, 10 & 11 with every permutation I can think of doing and it still doesn't work for me .
I'm sure the fixes have helped some though...thank you for your efforts.

Just bite the bullet and download Chrome. It works so much nicer then IE. And if you log in, wherever you use Chrome, all of your short cuts and apps will automatically be there. Any Device you use Chrome on and log in.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
KEN

Garage
Hope someone else can enjoy chat tonight,,I can't it is time someone fix this sorry app. It has been a constant thorn in everyone's side. Let's get it fixed or boycott the new site until they restore our old good site back to us.
_
BAMA-HEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA-HEMI View Post
Hope someone else can enjoy chat tonight,,I can't it is time someone fix this sorry app. It has been a constant thorn in everyone's side. Let's get it fixed or boycott the new site until they restore our old good site back to us.

2013 Ram 1500 SLT Crew Cab 4x4 Big Horn True Blue Pearl, Amsoil, Re-trax, Bedrug
2003 4x4 LB QC CAI, SC, Amsoil, Shorties, LED tails. GONE but never forgotten.

Member # 1450
nopeitsherhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #10
Forum Admin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA-HEMI View Post

The change in chat access was caused by an update from Java - a third party and beyond our control. The site team has worked hard to develop a feature rich site and while this is an unfortunate bump we'll keep looking for some improvements in this area. In the meantime we hope to see you posting on the forum, helping out other members and being part of the Hemi community
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote