timing issues? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Nitrous Oxide Topics

Old 06-08-2007, 01:54 AM   #1

timing issues?

i dont know a lot about nitrous but a few of my buddies run it in there mustangs and camaros. one issue they have is timing. for example we just hooked up a zex kit on a mustang, a 75 shot ran fine but he jumped it to a 125 and it didnt hit like it should so he called zex and they said he needs to take like 4 degrees timing out. is this something that needs to be considered with our trucks to?

06hemibighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #2

timing issues?

The zex kit for the trucks is a wet system that is controlled by activation at wide open throttle that mixes fuel with the nitrous for detonation reasons. Some of the other Zex kits are a dry kit (all nitrous). Dyno's on the Zex like the one I have with a 150 shot have shown that you get pretty much all of the 150, you may want to pull timing so you dont run lean by simply hitting the tow/haul button and not using the 91 tune on the Superchips. Your best option is to insall an active wide band A/F guage and just to some testing. Different mods will effect how or what you need to do when you spray. For instance with my mods I can spray up to a 125 shot with the 91 tune on the Superchips, but I only know this due to being able to monitor my air/fuel mixture. The Zex kit for our trucks also has a built in safety system that will not allow for you to run lean.
CentralTexHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
KOZ

timing issues?

what you mean by not allowing us to run lean is a fuel safety switch. Right? Where the fuel pressure drops, the actual box shuts off the nitrous?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
KOZ

timing issues?

You are 100% correct on the timing central. I ran 125 shot on my truck with colder plugs, the superchips at 87 and never had a problem. The truck pulled like crazy. With headers and Efan and a better suspension setup, I might hit 12s
Old 06-09-2007, 09:48 AM   #5

timing issues?

I just run on 87 mode. My A/F goes down to 9.0:1
1FASTV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:41 PM   #6

timing issues?

how does your truck perform with the AFR of 9.0, if mine goes below 12 it feels like a parachute opened up out back, my remote opener messed up and was restricting the flow my afr's went to 10.9 i might as well have shifted to neutral and coasted for how much it bogged.
sdogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #7

timing issues?

It works fine. I run out of gear well before the 1000 ft. I'm not really sure how to tune with the PSC because it can't read my rpms right and I don't know if it matters or not.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #8

timing issues?

yeah, if your truck is runnin at 9.0, you need to lean it up... low 12.0's and that thing would scream.
slvrmagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:32 AM   #9
KOZ

timing issues?

just put a toggle on your fuel pump...that way..you can just turn it off when you go rich..LOL
Old 06-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #10

timing issues?

Yeah I know it needs to be tuned. I am going to do that this week sometime.