Used cam? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Engine | Modifications, Repairs and Performance

Old 05-01-2008, 03:02 AM   #1

Used cam?

I'm a little hesistant to put a used cam in my Hemi but there are so many cheap ones out there for sale. Anyone else feel the same way? Pros/cons?

Disclaimer: Don't mean to alter sales of used cams for anyone else selling them, I'm just paranoid i guess.

noodelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2008, 05:12 AM   #2

Used cam?

A used cam is fine, just as long as it's not dropped on the floor lol. All kidding aside, i put a used 6.1 cam in my truck 1 year ago today and it has given me no problems. You are basically going on the sellers word that it is the cam they say it is, because lets face it, i cannot tell the difference between a comp 260 and a comp 268 by looking at them. If it is a reputable seller, have been on the boards for a while, i would not hesitate. I am waiting on a member right now to email me back about a used cam. If everything looks good on the cam journals and lobes that is all you can do, plus install alot of assembly lube
Hemi1569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #3

Used cam?

That's cool, thanks for the reply. Didn't mean to bad mouth used cams, just wondering cause I've never installed one, always new.
noodelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #4

Used cam?

Most times you are supposed to replace the lifters if you put a new cam in as they are worn to it but since it does not have mechanical lifters it does not really matter. If you were to switch out the cam like 5 or 6 times i would consider getting new lifters. There are people that have done it, that is all i can say
Hemi1569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:10 AM   #5

Used cam?

I wouldn't do it, but that's my personal opinion. I have a few old cars and I've learned that it's better to buy new, quality parts so you KNOW they are good. You don't want to buy a used cam to get you through and then it fails and then you have to start all over. Not worth it, do it once do it right.
Starchief_59 is offline   Reply With Quote