Teach me ole' cam master! - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Engine | Modifications, Repairs and Performance

Old 04-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #1

Teach me ole' cam master!

Okay so here's the deal. I have to put a new radiator in my truck so I figure what the hell lets look into a new cam. I'm a quick learner, but you pretty much have to start in laymens terms when describing stuff to me to start with about cams. I've researched cams and get the general idea, but I don't know a lot about the technicallities of it.

Here's my truck:
2004 Ram 1500 4x4
5.7L HEMI
Taylor Shorty Wires
Superchips 3815
3.55 Rearend
17"s w/ 265/70
Daily Driver (so mpg needs to be considered)

Okay, so what suggestions and why for cams? What all would be required to install (ie. cam, valves, springs, etc)? Rough cost? I've read about 260s, 268s, 6.1s, and sidewinders but don't really know how to compare. I'm wanting some power, but I would like something that reaches into the low end torque a little.

I'm graduating in May from WKU. (Anyone in architecture on here?) So cost is a little bit of an issue, but I understand you pay for what you get and I'd rather do it right then be wanting for more later.

mksugls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 03:31 AM   #2

comp 260 if you want more low end torque. as far as mpg being a concern, no it's not. you drive a 5,000lb truck with a V8. if you were concerned about fuel mileage, just like anyone who owns one of these trucks, you'd be driving a honda.
harleyc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 AM   #3

you will love the comp 260 as far as torq gain, and you need it if you going to keep the 3.55's, works great with just Superchips
sppb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #4

You will want to replace the valvesprings and pushrods while you're at it. The SRT8 6.1L parts will work just fine and are much cheaper than aftermarket. If you want a mild upgrade that idles well and doesn't need tuning besides a Superchips, then a 6.1 cam or Comp 260 will be fine. Just make sure you don't kick yourself later for not going more aggressive. I love my 268 and I'm currently running it on stock tune until I can get my custom tune squared away. It chops hard at idle (I love the WTF look on peoples' faces when I fire it up in parking lots) and pulls throughout the RPM range. I don't really romp on it untuned, so I'm not sure what it's actually capable of. Prices vary but I saved a lot buying mine as a complete kit, instead of piecing it together and paying full price on everything. I daily drive mine and gas mileage isn't too bad, but it did take a slight hit from running the cam without a good tune. Your reg. cab would be a force to be reckoned with with a 268 and a good tune, and a good set of longtube headers would help a lot too.
04LaramieQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #5

Quote:
quote:if you were concerned about fuel mileage, just like anyone who owns one of these trucks, you'd be driving a honda.
Well your right about this, what I meant though was I didn't want to go from the amazing 12mpg that I get now to like around 5mpg. However, I'm really good about showing my ricer nieghbors how amercian muscle stacks up against two-cycle motors

So from what I understand, Comp260 cam will work with other stock pieces and 6.1L will require new require new valves and springs? I'm not planning on swapping out gears. Atleast not anytime in the near future if at all. What about some cost for these? This message has been edited. Last edited by: mksugls, document.write(''+ myTimeZone('Sun, 19 Apr 2009 10:29:33 GMT-0700', '19 April 2009 01:29 PM')+''); 19 April 2009 01:29 PM
Old 04-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #6

Order your springs and rods from Art at Henson Motorsports. HTC members get discount. There is link at the top of the page.
zwa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #7

I'm planning at picking up some headers at some point, but figured since I was going to have the radiator out anyways, I'd do the cam now.

I'm still a little confused though. I'll have to buy springs & rods for the 6.1L, but would I have to for the Comp260? Is there a big enough difference (and whats the difference) to justify the 6.1L over the comp260? If there's not a huge difference except in the cost, then I'll go with the cheaper and be able to get headers sooner.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #8

The 6.1 cam will be much cheaper, but the 260 will perform a little better. You will need to upgrade to 6.1 springs and pushrods regardless to prevent major headaches down the road.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #9

will the 268 require upgraded springs and pushrods?
BlackedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #10

Yes. I have the 6.1 springs and pushrods with my 268 and no problems.