Probably swapping engines. What should I improve? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Engine | Modifications, Repairs and Performance

Like Tree2Likes

Old 04-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #1

Probably swapping engines. What should I improve?

So it looks like I'll be replacing the engine in my 2011 2500 5.7 Hemi truck.

The lifter failed and took out my cam. I know this is a thing whcih is a bummer.

That said, Ill likely be ordering either a long block (reman) and buying a new intake manifold and some other components.

But while I'm at it, are there any things I can do to improve the performance or longevity of the engine?

I work in the building industry and put a LOT of moles on my truck. Around 40K a year. So this truck will hit 300 k likely within the next 3-4 years. Anything I can do to imporve fuel economy would help. Right now I am getting about 10 city, 13 highway.

The truck has always been a bit of a pig. Not making any real usable power until well into the mid 3000 rpm range. When I'm hauling a trailer load of cinder block, that does not help matters. Also when I'm towing building materials, it gets about 7-8 mpg.

So anything I can do to free up that engine to make a little mor elow end grunt and/or get a little better mileage would be helpful.

One thing to note is, I'm not looking for huge gains. Just a little help would be nice. I don't want to have to take it to a tuner and have a miracle worker do what I'm sure is a fine job. but I would be open to a dash tuner if that may help.

Thanks in advance for any recomendations.

bwortman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #2
Greg

Garage
Since this is a work truck if it was me I'd fix it meaning replace the cam and lifters. Throw a oil pump and timing chain in to the mix, clean the pan and button it up.. Now if it is a special love of my life truck then throw a stroker motor at it...

1956 Jeep Willys Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #3

I put a lot of miles on this rig. It will likely hit 300k within 4 years.

That said, its a tool to me. I don't beat up my tools though. What I'm trying to say is I want to take good care of it so it lasts as long as possible. However, it is not the love of my life. To be honest, I'm pretty underwhelmed by it. I just want to keep it reliable until the day comes when it finally just bites the bullet.

My biggest concern (and I'm asking your opinion on this) is that the material ground off the cam most certainly didn't all make it's way to the oil pan. Some had to hit the crank assembly and get splashed all over the inside, getting all over the underside of the pistons and onto the cylinder walls, inter the bearings and so on. The material from the needle bearings on the lifter is hardened and I'm sure it will do some damage.

But this assumption is based off growing up around old school Ford FE engines and maybe there are nuances of modern engines that makes this less of a likelyhood.

So what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2020, 01:48 PM   #4

I've done some youtube research and it looks like it is a popular mod to do to pul a 6.4 intake manifold on 5.7's in cars. But I wonder if it would do much that a truck can take advantage of. Generally larger shorter ports do well to produce horse power and torque is more assisted by longer ports making more air velocity. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience in this or knows someone who has put an intake manifold from a 6.4 on a 5.7 Hemi in a truck application.

This engine just feels like its starving for air to me...
Old 04-09-2020, 02:11 PM   #5
Greg

Garage
I would not use the 6.4 manifold. After the engine is repaired I would install headers and gears to wake it up.
arocketman likes this.

HTC 2018 TOTY

Old 04-09-2020, 02:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
I would not use the 6.4 manifold. After the engine is repaired I would install headers and gears to wake it up.
I have looked for headers for it and can't seem to find any. What headers do you think would work with this model truck?

2011 Ram 2500 5.7
Old 04-09-2020, 02:14 PM   #7
Greg

Garage
You need to talk to 4th gen guys..

HTC 2018 TOTY

Old 04-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #8

I found a company that sells ported stock intake manifolds. Do you think that would be worth it? Given I have to buy a manifold anyway?
Old 04-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #9
Greg

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwortman84 View Post
I found a company that sells ported stock intake manifolds. Do you think that would be worth it? Given I have to buy a manifold anyway?
IMO no, I would pressure wash the intake manifold. If it cleans up good then you won't need a new one.

HTC 2018 TOTY

Old 04-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
IMO no, I would pressure wash the intake manifold. If it cleans up good then you won't need a new one.
Thanks for the advice. Will probably take that and run with it. That would save me several hundred dollars.