Predator tuning finally!. - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Engine | Modifications, Repairs and Performance

Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #1

Saturday is the big day. A local shop is tuning my truck with the Diablo Predator. He's going to get a baseline before he installs the Predator. Hoping for decent numbers. I'd like to get a baseline when I have the Superchips programmed in it but that just ads to the time and price. Anyone have any suggestions for me. It's my first dyno!

Don't know if I have a choice of shift points or not (like Superchips) but I'm finally going to see the results from the cam and heads!

2006 4x4 qc, Atlantic Blue, Diablo Predator, afe high breather, Performance Research and Development Heads, 260 cam, pacesetter mids, high flow cats, Custom Y pipe, NGK 5306 Plugs, Mobile 1 synth oil, power wire, and edge billet 2600 converter, 3.92 lsd, Auto Meter A/F guage with SRT-10 A-Pillar, Alpine HU, Focal components, JL Audio 6450 Amp, JL audio 10" sub.

Birdshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #2

Saturday is the big day. A local shop is tuning my truck with the Diablo Predator. He's going to get a baseline before he installs the Predator. Hoping for decent numbers. I'd like to get a baseline when I have the Superchips programmed in it but that just ads to the time and price. Anyone have any suggestions for me. It's my first dyno!

Don't know if I have a choice of shift points or not (like Superchips) but I'm finally going to see the results from the cam and heads!
2006 4x4 qc, Atlantic Blue, Diablo Predator, afe high breather, Performance Research and Development Heads, 260 cam, pacesetter mids, high flow cats, Custom Y pipe, NGK 5306 Plugs, Mobile 1 synth oil, power wire, and edge billet 2600 converter, 3.92 lsd, Auto Meter A/F guage with SRT-10 A-Pillar, Alpine HU, Focal components, JL Audio 6450 Amp, JL audio 10" sub.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Greg

Garage
Kevin, this is great. What A/F readings do you get at WOT at 6000rpm? What all will he adjust? How many pulls do you think it will take to dial it in?

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #4

I've been getting around 13.0 at 6,000 rpm. And I'm not exactly sure what he needs to adjust to dial it in. From what I've read from your posts, you probably have a better idea than I do. He insists that I have 91 octane fuel in it to tune, so i need to get rid of the 87 I have in it now. I'm hoping he can adjust idle for me, it's a little low for me (500 rpm after warm). But I really want to keep my shift points (6100 1-2, and 5950 2-3). He tells me he will do as many pulls as it takes to get the most out of it. But he does not have the time to give me a baseline reading with the Superchips also. If I have to sacrifice 5 hp to get 15 more ft pounds of torque, he'd like to go that route. I know it's not a drag racer. I just plan on learning as much as I can by observing and asking questions. He's also gonna put new NGK 5306's in for me before he tunes it.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
Greg

Garage
Yep, street trucks tune a little different than the racers and driveability is whats important. Just my 2 cents as I hate people touching my truck, wouldn't it be better if you changed the plugs yourself? It would give you an opportunity to look at the plugs before the dyno run. As for the 87 octane, today is the first time I've put 87 in my truck in years. I'm still running the 91 SC tune (12.5 A/F) at wot with the water/meth injection running. After making a couple short runs, I saw some minimal fuel knock so it looks like I'll go to 89 next and see what happens.

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #6

Yeah I'd love to be able to change the plugs myself except I have MS. But I'm going to try and be there when he does so I can see how the plugs look.

I've thought about trying to run the water/meth injection myself, but it sounds like n/a motors don't really benefit a whole lot from it. Plus I'd have to get someone do the install work for me, and it would turn into a whole cost/benefit thing for me. But I think it's cool that someone like you (who knows what he's doing) is out there experimenting for the rest of us n/a folks.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
Mr. Freeze

Garage
On your dyno pulls!!

If you would like a super tranny tune w/ upshifts & downshifts, contact white lightning (no caps) here on the forum. He will set it up anyway you would like. There are a bunch of us running his tunes on the street and the strip.

Mine likes the chilled juice and nos mixture with just a touch of nitro-methane thrown in for good measure. WOT A/F @ 11.83 no knock anywhere. Might try a few more degrees of timing for Sunday Test & Tune at OSW.

VA4MEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
David

Garage
It seems to me you should have it tuned with the grade of gas you run normally. If you normally run 87 and its tuned with 91 you may have some issues. Just my thoughts. He's the pro maybe he knows better.

ATXHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by VA4MEDS:
On your dyno pulls!!

If you would like a super tranny tune w/ upshifts & downshifts, contact white lightning (no caps) here on the forum. He will set it up anyway you would like. There are a bunch of us running his tunes on the street and the strip.

Mine likes the chilled juice and nos mixture with just a touch of nitro-methane thrown in for good measure. WOT A/F @ 11.83 no knock anywhere. Might try a few more degrees of timing for Sunday Test & Tune at OSW.
I've already contacted white lightning about the trans tune. I would have liked to have used him for the engine tune also but the local tuner I found said he'd show me how to use the tuner and how to update all the new croms. Plus it's my first dyno opportunity.

Good Luck to you at the test and tune on your truck!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by ATXHEMI:
It seems to me you should have it tuned with the grade of gas you run normally. If you normally run 87 and its tuned with 91 you may have some issues. Just my thoughts. He's the pro maybe he knows better.
The tuner assures me I'll get better milaege with the 91 tune and octane also. I had been running 91 the past couple years. I had just put a tank of 87 in the other day to see if I noticed a difference. And I actually did. It pulls a little harder on the higher 91 octane.