Potential Engine Swap in Used Ram - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Engine | Modifications, Repairs and Performance

Old 07-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #1

Potential Engine Swap in Used Ram

Hey Everyone!

I bought my 2006 5.7 Ram some months ago, and on my first oil change I got the standard PH16 Fram oil filter. Literally the exact same size the 5.2 in my 1998 Ram took. So easy peasy. I get home, only to find out that the threads on the Block for the oil filter are much larger. I went back, found the right one by part number and called it a day.

Well, this weekend I did another oil change and remembered this, so I got the correct size. It seems some 2008 5.7's got the 3/4" Oil filter threads, and some got the 22mm threads, then the change to the 22mm size was completed for the 2009 model year.

So with that in mind, there is also a few other things. The exhaust was cut shortly after the Y pipe at some point, and I missing random bolts here and there. 1 in the transmission to block connection, and one on each of the motor mounts on the frame side. I cut the exhaust at the same place on my 98 when I replaced the trans, but I didn't need to screw with the engine mounts. I think the Engine may have been swapped? What do you all think? The Lot I got it from is full of a bunch of asshats that can't tell an oil filter from an ******* so no luck there.

So this leads me to believe that I may have a late 2008 5.7, or potentially a 2009 5.7. So looking into cams and whatnot brings up VVT, and if I have a 2009 5.7, I may have it. But I have no way of confirming that, or if I have MDS.

Any help is much appreciated with Identifying my mystery 5.7

5.7 Hemi (Stock)

5100 Bilsteins on lowest adjustable setting
2" Shackle Drop

20"x12" Vision Rage Wheels
Nitto NT420 305/50/20 Tires

Debadged, Tinted Windows, and LED spotlights added to the Hitch.
Andler2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #2
Greg

Garage
I don't have experience with the 06+ engines other than they have vvt and MDS. Both of these would require PCM support. If you are running without codes than I'd look at the pcm and see what model it is and cross reference that. On the other hand, missing bolts is usually a indicator work has done. Possibly just lifting the motor to take the pan off.

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
Matt

Garage
The '06 PCM doesn't support VVT so if the block was changed it was deleted. In that event any non-VVT cam should work. If you have a tuner see if the vin on the PCM matches the truck. I doubt someone went through the trouble to swap the PCM and harness with the engine since the only thing to gain is VVT. An '06 has good tunability already. Side note: I used fram TG16 on my '06, the PH16 is the same canister. The PH16 should have fit. My '11 would use a PH2 as the economy filter whereas I use the TG2. Is the PH2 the filter you got?
2011 Ram 2500 ST 4x4, 5.7L Hemi, crew cab, short box, 4:10 gear ratio with rear LSD, 180 amp alternator, tow mirrors w/ puddle and signal lamps, popular options group, carpet deleted, Ranch Hand front bumper, 9500# winch, pair of 100w KC lights, Magnum RT steps, Line-x sprayed bedliner, stampede o/e style fender flares, Ram branded oversize rubber mud flaps, stampede smoked bug deflector, Dee Zee toolbox

MANual_puller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2016, 04:46 PM   #4

Yes I used the PH2. I don't think it would've been swapped to VVT either. That seems to be to a waste of time for the benefit of the VVT.

Based on my search, if the 8th digit on the truck vin is "2", no MDS, if it's "D", then I have MDS. I have "2". So no MDS on the truck. But the ECM is a different story. No Tuner as of right now. Do you guys know if I can use the S/N or P/N on the ECM to check what it came out of?

I'm curious about the MDS as when I drive extremely slow, with almost no throttle, I can feel what seems to be a misfire, but it still runs smooth and no CEL pops. Then slight throttle advancement stops the odd misfire feeling and back to normal we go. I get no ECO light or MDS light. I've never seen either or even know where they're at.

5.7 Hemi (Stock)

2" Shackle Drop

Old 07-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
John

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andler2008 View Post
Yes I used the PH2. I don't think it would've been swapped to VVT either. That seems to be to a waste of time for the benefit of the VVT.

Based on my search, if the 8th digit on the truck vin is "2", no MDS, if it's "D", then I have MDS. I have "2". So no MDS on the truck. But the ECM is a different story. No Tuner as of right now. Do you guys know if I can use the S/N or P/N on the ECM to check what it came out of?

I'm curious about the MDS as when I drive extremely slow, with almost no throttle, I can feel what seems to be a misfire, but it still runs smooth and no CEL pops. Then slight throttle advancement stops the odd misfire feeling and back to normal we go. I get no ECO light or MDS light. I've never seen either or even know where they're at.
I have MDS on my 2007 Quad Cab, the way to tell is at hwy. speeds. The truck will act like a slight downshift occurs as you go up a slight incline, the exhaust note will change, then on level ground the truck will act like it upshifted, and the exhaust will be quieter. This happens only when in overdrive. The MDS is deactivated in tow mode. There are lights only when OD/Tow mode have been selected.

SUPER BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #6
Matt

Garage
The only thing I know about MDS is that I don't want it the '06 was a 2500 and the '11 is too and neither have MDS. If your truck originally didn't have MDS, which I think is the case(I think it started in '07 with 1500 trucks), to get the newer engine to work they would have had to do a VVT delete and put in non-MDS lifters. It really sounds like the engine was replaced in your truck at some point and I kind of question the quality of the work on engine internals if you're missing fasteners different places outside....what's the chances everything got torqued to spec....?
2011 Ram 2500 ST 4x4, 5.7L Hemi, crew cab, short box, 4:10 gear ratio with rear LSD, 180 amp alternator, tow mirrors w/ puddle and signal lamps, popular options group, carpet deleted, Ranch Hand front bumper, 9500# winch, pair of 100w KC lights, Magnum RT steps, Line-x sprayed bedliner, stampede o/e style fender flares, Ram branded oversize rubber mud flaps, stampede smoked bug deflector, Dee Zee toolbox

Old 07-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #7
Slow Memeber

I'll bet that you have a 06-08 1500 hemi engine in there with mds
Old 07-07-2016, 10:57 PM   #8
Matt

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04sthemi View Post
I'll bet that you have a 06-08 1500 hemi engine in there with mds
Per Fram's fitment chart '03-'07 use PH16, HM16, TG16, XG16 and '08-'10 use PH2, HM2, TG2, XG2(this is weird because when I search for an '11 it says PH2......, chart probably out of date). It has to be '08+ if the PH2 fits. If it was an '08 from a 2500 truck it would have not had VVT and already had the non-MDS lifters in it in which case the engine wouldn't have been opened up for the swap.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:09 AM   #9

Yeah. I am wondering if my low speed low throttle "oddity" is due to MDS kicking in but since I do not have any dummy lights on the dash, I won't see it. I've been mulling over the idea of doing the simple dummy light add-on that I've seen mentioned here quite a bit to see if I can get it to work.

I pray to god no one actually opened up this engine to do any work on it. But then again, it may just lead to go fast goodies.

I also found that someone tried and failed to twist off the transmission filter that is inside the pan. I saw tons of scarring from channel locks or a monkey wrench on the outside of the filter. Even the Plastic filter took on some damage from them.

But obviously quality of work done is quite terrible. just found a couple oddly cut wires on the headlight harness, with new ones spiced in, and the headlight bucket hold down screw in the back of it came out of the Plastic housing. It's the little things that just drive me up the wall.

5.7 Hemi (Stock)

2" Shackle Drop

Old 07-11-2016, 07:20 AM   #10

For the love of God please stop using Fram filters. They aren't worthy of being on a lawn mower. Get a WIX or WIX XP if you use Mobil 1 Extended life. K&N, Mobil 1 are good as well. I seriously doubt you have a VVT engine. Fastest way to tell is to look at the top of the timing cover on driver side and see if the water temp sensor is in the block or in the cover. If it's in the block you do not have VVT. As for MDS you should see a small wiring harness at rear of engine coming from under the intake on driver side with a connector close by and this would be the MDS solenoid harness. Hope this helps
GFB Performance is offline   Reply With Quote