Only 87 octane available in town - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Engine | Modifications, Repairs and Performance

Old 04-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #1

Only 87 octane available in town

I've actually been wondering for a while why my truck has been getting such bad mileage. I knew the HEMI wouldn't be easy, but I was hoping for the higher teens in terms of MPG on the highway(that's per cdn gallon, so the number would be a bit lower for imperial).

Then I've read a bunch of stuff about Dodge recommending 89 octane fuel. My problem is that there is only 87 available here in town. 89 or 91 are not options. And when I do get someplace that something > 87 is available, its usually only long enough to run maybe a tank through before I return home. Is something like Superchips program for 87 octane pretty much my only option?

Hemi_Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #2

it definitely is a good way to go.

i ran my truck on 87 for about 6 months before i bought my superchips programmer to tune for 87/91. i didn't know it had to run on 89, but i never noticed any problems. got about the same mileage as you could expect with a V8, and never heard a ping once. running with 89 would definitely be ideal unless you are tuned for 87, chrysler recommends it for a reason. i would say buy a superchips if you are limited to 87 octane, better safe than sorry.
harleyc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #3

two good reads about octane ratings, here and here
harleyc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #4

Yeah now that i think about it. for a few weeks i was getting about 13-13.5 mpg with 93 octane. i thought that i was just taking it easy. but when i filled up with regular last time i am getting like 11.7-12mpg
PatTxHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #5

Mine went the other way.. i average about 12.5 with 87 and 11 with 93. Doesnt justify the cost at all for me. I just reset my PCM and i drive like an old man so i can see my mpg going up gradually.
I cleaned my PCV and put in Lucas Injector Cleaner.. still very dissapointed in the mpg for a "smaller" ram.

Pat, do you have any sound clips or description of your exhaust. I was thinking of going with a deeper flowmaster for my truck. I dont want it loud, just like a deep pulsating burble sound.
Slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #6

I recently ran a tank of 87 through without my tuner,.. then I filled up and ran my SC on 87 economy tune and found that my mileage tends to go up faster and remain constant. For eg,.. when you accelerate the overhead will drop,.. then you have to drive consistent for it to come back up. With the SC,.. it will drop about .2 or not at all and stay there. Its hard to say what I gained,.. but I do know that without SC the first 1/8 tank I get roughly 100km,.. with SC I get 130km,.. same driving, same routine.
mudchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #7

if used 87 for the last 60,000 miles and at 101,000 i have no issues. if your really worried, run a cooler thermo stat to help reduce knock
txtruck is offline   Reply With Quote