Is a rod slapping my oil pan bad........lol need options - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Engine | Modifications, Repairs and Performance

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Redtruck-VA
  • 3 Post By ric3xrt
  • 1 Post By Redtruck-VA

Old 11-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #1

Is a rod slapping my oil pan bad........lol need options

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 2WD QC 5.7L 345CI 545RFE 3.92gears

Well turns out it's pretty bad lol. So I'm about 95% sure that I have a rod knocking and 100% sure it's in my lower end. I do my own "basic" mechanic work, pretty much anything I can do without tearing into the motor or trans, so im not entirely sure of all my options as far as maybe say, getting a stroker kit or something like that to go ahead and beef it up or should I just swap it?

My truck is in great condition, less than 200k miles, and it's paid off so I would rather not buy a new vehicle. I know the motor needs to be pulled and it's not going to be cheap. I know a guy that can drop another motor in for me or he can get a reman +warranty. It's a 2004 so do I have to specifically get a 345 5.7l from a ram 1500 that will match my pcm? If I drop a newer 392 in it what else will I need to change?

Or would it be cheaper to just rebuild the current motor with a stroker kit or something like that?

Thanks in advance, just trying to figure out the best route to go since I'm gonna have to spend a lot regardless of what I do.

Ironworker1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
Greg

Garage
This should give you an idea of what you can use.
https://www.knowyourparts.com/techni...-hemi-anatomy/
Basicly comes down to your pcm. 04 being a 34 tooth wheel. Any of the stroker kits can be ordered with the 34 tooth reluctor wheel. 08 and newer engines have 58 tooth wheels. The easiest and less expensive would IMO rebuild using a stroker kit. Decide on performance level and don't over build. This will help control cost.
SUPER BEE and ric3xrt like this.

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
The easiest and less expensive would IMO rebuild using a stroker kit. Decide on performance level and don't over build. This will help control cost.
That's the direction I'm leaving towards, I love my truck since it's paid off I think it will be the best option and I was already planning on doing some engine work to add some more power anyway. Just not sure what kind of kit I'll need exactly and what will need to be done or what other components I'll have to buy after getting the kit. I should have jumped on the $600 complete and running 5.7l I ran across a month or two ago. Was going to buy it to have a spare or replacement I could tear down to actually teach myself about working in internals.

Thanks a lot, about to go check it that link.
Ironworker1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 07:17 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker1911 View Post
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 2WD QC 5.7L 345CI 545RFE 3.92gears

Well turns out it's pretty bad lol. So I'm about 95% sure that I have a rod knocking and 100% sure it's in my lower end. I do my own "basic" mechanic work, pretty much anything I can do without tearing into the motor or trans, so im not entirely sure of all my options as far as maybe say, getting a stroker kit or something like that to go ahead and beef it up or should I just swap it?

My truck is in great condition, less than 200k miles, and it's paid off so I would rather not buy a new vehicle. I know the motor needs to be pulled and it's not going to be cheap. I know a guy that can drop another motor in for me or he can get a reman +warranty. It's a 2004 so do I have to specifically get a 345 5.7l from a ram 1500 that will match my pcm? If I drop a newer 392 in it what else will I need to change?

Or would it be cheaper to just rebuild the current motor with a stroker kit or something like that?

Thanks in advance, just trying to figure out the best route to go since I'm gonna have to spend a lot regardless of what I do.

Q: How long are you willing to be with out the truck ?
if it were me , and I need it for the winter, I'd look for an 03-08 Hemi , as long as it has a 32 tooth tone wheel the computer doesn't care what it came out of, only thing is the MDS and that's not an issue, just an inconvenience.
then save up some coin and build my engine as I want.

If It were me and I don't need the truck for winter...
2 options
1) pull the engine buy a stroker Kit, there are plenty to chose from most are roughly the same in price. but keep in mind by the time it's all said and done you are in to it for at least 3k or more.
2) get an ATK short block we have user here who went this route https://www.high-performance-engines...uct-p/sp97.htm
or one of the other G3 builders (Arrington,MMX,Inertia,) and use yours as a core.
Either way we are here to help you , between all of us we can spend your money wisely and FAST.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:20 AM   #5
Stu

Garage
You can build a 348 with no special tuning. You can run it on a stock tune. And when your ready, put a big cam, heads and performance tune on it to get big street power on the stock truck intake manifold. It's a cheaper option.

https://www.hemitruckclub.com/forums...uild-4408.html

Ghost03hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:48 AM   #6

Garage
Stu has a good point , you can do a stock style rebuild cheaper then a stroker or a prebuilt short/long block, those can get you to 500 Flywheel Hp which in my opinion is the max any one should go on a stock 545 trans.
346 build I sent out the door back in early Oct .(stock stroke + over bore), stock crank needed to be reground to clean up the spun bearing,had it the rod journals turned to 2.125 on center , next step is your choice , eagle rod part # CRS6243H3D or K1 Part# DH6243ANLB8-A summit has them both in the $600-630 range
Icon .0015 over bore (3.9185) piston, I used part #IC647C-0015($595 at cnc -motorsports it's a 14CC dome,) Cometic C5467-60 head gasket 260 for the pair,Sealed Power Ring Sets E-975K ($113) Compression ratio with the 06 heads milled .010 was 10..25
set of home ported 06 heads , 2.08X1.60 valves...I don't know what kind of Money he had in to the heads. but we went with a Comp cams 273
total of $2800 for the short block including machine work and what I charged to assemble
Cam was $405 I don't know where he got it, timing chain was dealer sourced.
that combo made [email protected] and 465TQ at 4500rpms with a intake off of a 06 Magnum, keep in mind they had switched the truck over to use a auto front cover, truck intake is about 10 less Hp and Tq , only you can decide if that 10/10 is worth the change in cover.....you can make up the difference with a under drive pulley,and a better TB , it had a stock TB that came with the manifold.
on the Chassis dyno , with a 727 trans and a Dana 60 it's putting 420 to the wheels , with a 545 trans I'd say it would be 390-400ish which is an easy 125 over stock.

Here's the Link to Bob's ATK build.
https://www.hemitruckclub.com/forums...ild-29980.html
Old 11-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #7
Greg

Garage
To clarify the tone ring which is also called reluctor wheel by some. As I understand currently there are three styles in use. There is a 08 and newer 58 tooth narrow and a 58 tooth wide (newest). For the 34 tooth wheel it is also called 32 tooth. If the teeth are counted there are 32 teeth and two blanks representing phantom teeth. And of course if you are not in the horsepower chase a stock engine is the way to go. After all your current stock engine has given you 200k+ miles of enjoyment. Have fun...
SUPER BEE likes this.

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote