Hemi not running! - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Engine | Modifications, Repairs and Performance

Old 06-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #1

A friend had borrowed my truck and was on the hiway, cruise set @ 75. Truck runs rough and shuts off. I go with my super chips and read codes. Cyl #7 missfire. Has thrown that code before but could find no problems. Reset codes, computer, etc. Try to start truck and it turns over real slow and will not start. Towed home and Put spare new battery in, no change. Removed hemi hat checked for fire and fuel and have both. Tried starting again, backfired through throttle body. Whats next? Compression test, looking for broken valve springs/ piston damage? Why would it be turning over so slow? Binding somewhere? Out of work and just had elbow surgery a week ago. Need to do this the poor boy way for right now. Thanks in advance.
Taz

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #2

A friend had borrowed my truck and was on the hiway, cruise set @ 75. Truck runs rough and shuts off. I go with my super chips and read codes. Cyl #7 missfire. Has thrown that code before but could find no problems. Reset codes, computer, etc. Try to start truck and it turns over real slow and will not start. Towed home and Put spare new battery in, no change. Removed hemi hat checked for fire and fuel and have both. Tried starting again, backfired through throttle body. Whats next? Compression test, looking for broken valve springs/ piston damage? Why would it be turning over so slow? Binding somewhere? Out of work and just had elbow surgery a week ago. Need to do this the poor boy way for right now. Thanks in advance.
Taz
Old 06-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #3

my 04 kinda did the same thing but it would crank u would have to help it by giving it gas . the crappy part was wen it did it backfired an blew a bunch of white smoke out of the exhaust. so i thought it was a head gasket but it ended up having no compression in the front passenger cylinder. it dropped a valve seat n put a hole in the piston and mangled the head pretty bad!!!
hemiscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #4

needless to say i thought twice about people driving my truck with me not in it. it did sound awesome like it had bout a 700 lift cam in it i ended up getting a junk yard motor for 1500 still have the old one if ne one is interested good luck
hemiscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:03 AM   #5

Update. Water in oil. Not much water left in radiator. Pulled plug on #7 cylinder and found water on it. Put straw in plug hole, turned engine and straw moved up and down. Blown head gasket, cracked head, block?
Old 06-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
Board of Directors (Jay)

Quote:
Blown head gasket, cracked head, block?
Cracked head, blowen gasket, maybe both.
2003, Std. SWB, SLT, 20", 4:56 gear, AFE CAI, Superchip, 6.1 cam, 6.1 heads, Manley springs, retainers, pushrods, Edelbrock Hedders, 195 T-Stat, 8.2 Taylor, AEM, Power Wire, ARC-1,Amsoil Everything, and more. Veni Vidi Vici

HTC.com Titan Killer Club

Member # 17

Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Stu

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by tazassape:
Water in oil. Pulled plug on #7 cylinder and found water on it.
That's not good at all.
Ghost03hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by tazassape:
Update. Water in oil. Not much water left in radiator. Pulled plug on #7 cylinder and found water on it. Put straw in plug hole, turned engine and straw moved up and down. Blown head gasket, cracked head, block?
Update: engine finished, valve train went bad sent debris through engine. The block was the only thing that could be re-used (after boring). Got it back last Friday. Runs great. Sure did miss MY truck. Had to drive the wife's POS GMC!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
Board of Directors-Bill

Garage
Just [email protected]

arocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:05 AM   #10
Board of Directors (Jay)

2003, Std. SWB, SLT, 20", 4:56 gear, AFE CAI, Superchip, 6.1 cam, 6.1 heads, Manley springs, retainers, pushrods, Edelbrock Hedders, 195 T-Stat, 8.2 Taylor, AEM, Power Wire, ARC-1,Amsoil Everything, and more. Veni Vidi Vici

HTC.com Titan Killer Club

Member # 17

Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote