Head options???? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Engine | Modifications, Repairs and Performance

Old 04-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #1

Head options????

Is it all by luck or is there a head thats just better than the others? I dont know what all the different choices you can get mean and i want the most powerful head i can get with out haveing to go beyond what i already have or plan to get. Meaning different intakes or injecters. With what i plan on getting, either TTi or dynatec longtubes w/ high flow cats, my e-cutouts, my dual flowmasters and x-pipe, afe magnum force intake( the behind the headlight one), sidewinder cam, AEM wideband and a SCT tuner- what would be the best head for this combo? Stage one or two, 6.1l springs or manley, 5.7 or 6.1 , big bore , hand polished???? I dont know what it all means but i want to do it right the first time, any help?
HD

hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #2

Head options????

Call 392STu at inertia. He can explain it all. Seems your looking at all the FRI stuff and PPP.

Hand porting while better than stock is very touch in my opinion. It is very difficult to tell exactly how much material has been removed from each port. Also there can be slight differances from port to port.

I seached around and really its sho your comfortable dealing with and customer service. You your going all out like you are suggesting, you'd be better off talking to the shop you'll be dealing with.

Talk to Stu and tell him what you want, cause throwing a cam heads, headers together, can vary dramaically with selection.
dr.dred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #3

Head options????

JM cylinder big valve heads 2.055" intake valves, 23rwhp on a mustang dyno, not ballooned dyno jet numbers.
dline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
Board of Directors (Jay)

Head options????

Guys, there's a lot of good cylinder head information on the INTERNET. I strongly suggest you find it , read and study it. Bigger ports, are not always better. I recently filled in the ports of a 351-c motor, by 35%, and got great gains. Polishing is not always better. In some instances, a boundary line of dead air forms, and the port flows through the middle of it. Sometimes larger valves are detrimental. They are so close to the chamber walls, that shrouding happens. Study! Make sound decisions. A gain of peak horsepower, doesn't mean you'll be faster at the track.
Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #5

Head options????

Jay what was the deciding factor that convinced you to go with the 6.1 heads?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #6

Head options????

Quote:
quote: Guys, there's a lot of good cylinder head information on the INTERNET. I strongly suggest you find it , read and study it.
I agree 100%, but i dont understand all the meanings and that why i joined this forum to ask the people who already have gone through the trial and era process. I figured the best built Hemi's are on here and that why i'm asking for info and opinions. I have read were some trucks get some good heads that work really well and see were people with heads already on respond saying they wish they would have put on the better heads if they would have known better. Just want to know what the better heads are and if all the option are needed or just hype to get you to overspend on something you wouldnt need unless you were producing major power.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #7

Head options????

everyones wants, and setup is different... remember you have an MDS motor, and it will only take "so" much. The ones that have had real good luck with a certain head/cam combo, are mostly all non MDS trucks... and will likely not work for you (or any of us MDS guys). Like Marc said earlier, talk to Stu! He has built more Hemi's than many of us could even dream about... he has learned what combo's work best together, and what it will take to get you where you want to be.
madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:29 AM   #8
Board of Directors (Jay)

Head options????

Quote:
quote:Jay what was the deciding factor that convinced you to go with the 6.1 heads?
Two fold. First, I wanted to bring back the cranking compression lost with the 6.1 cam. Second, I plan on a 400+ inch motor in the future, biased on the 6.1 block.
Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #9

Head options????

There's a reason why Jay has the prefix "Super".........the man knows what he's talkin about!!!

bigger ports can reduce low lift flow , and kill low end power........not good on the street!....the same with bigger valves. Polishing is usually cosmetic.

Since our heads are a straight through design, the flow capacity is much greater than most gm race heads, and even some 440 chryslers need major machining to get the flow numbers we can get with the 5.7 heads. All that major work decreases the integrity of the head......fine for racing, but as a daily driver, much more prone to overheating, and stress cracking.

As for "Indy Cylinder Heads".....they are known to lie about their flow numbers

FHO has my heads flowing better with stock intake valve size, and full radius valve job as opposed to what some brands advertise with larger valves
guitarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:20 PM   #10

Head options????

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dr.dred:
Call 392STu at inertia. He can explain it all. Seems your looking at all the FRI stuff and PPP.

Hand porting while better than stock is very touch in my opinion. It is very difficult to tell exactly how much material has been removed from each port. Also there can be slight differances from port to port.
If you use an ultrasonic tester, you can find out how much material is where. The casting process used on these heads is far better than most production heads........(even though the quality of the aluminum is lower), so unless you 're extremely careless, or sloppy, chances are you won't break through a water jacket!

.....having a flowbench helps too

I think hand porting can give a person "the edge" he/she needs to win races
guitarded is offline   Reply With Quote