DIY Porting Heads - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Engine | Modifications, Repairs and Performance

Old 07-12-2017, 08:27 AM   #1

Garage
DIY Porting Heads

Hey guys,

We've been pretty slow at work lately so I've been on the youtube a lot, which isn't always a good thing But I've come across quite a few vids of guys porting heads themselves. Now of course these are guys that have done this several times and have learned through trial and error on what and what not to do. This is definitely not something I'd want to do myself on a race application or with aluminum heads but I thought about picking up a spare set of cast heads and just playing around with it. I recently watched Engine Masters Ep.21 where one of the guys took the aluminum heads off a long block and did a ton of work on them himself. If you haven't seen it, it's worth watching if you have the time. He obviously had done this many times before and has much more knowledge than me. Anyway, I thought it was pretty neat and it peaked my interest. Have any of you guys ever done this yourself just to see what would happen? I know CNC machining is the way to go and I'm sure it does a much better job but it could be just a little fun side project to see what all goes into it. Thanks for reading!

nsorenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2017, 05:29 AM   #2

Garage
CNC porting is good for consistent results for the guys selling them to the weekend ,light to light racer. CNC is a good place for the big guys to start and work more magic from there.
Buy a single used head , take it to a machine shop(unless you have a good band saw) have them cut it thru the valve stems, once you have a visual of how the ports radius in to the pocket, where the water jacket is , it opens up a whole new perspective.
Back in the old Iron head big block days we had port templets to follow and almost 30 years of someone else's mistakes to avoid.
trail and error is your best friend. I watched EM ep21 , some good info. There's not a lot out there yet for these G3 heads and with the Apache and Eagle heads finding there way out to the aftermarket a lot of the backyard racers are moving away from the 03-08 heads , I think there is a lot of velocity and mid range torque to be found in these heads.
ric3xrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #3
Greg

Garage
There is also some r&d porting being done using cnc programing that puts ripples in the ports that increase velocities while still maintaining high flow. Probably doesnt help race guys, but should make street combinations more potent.

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #4

Garage
Thank you guys both for responding. This is just to toy with and see what happens on a street truck, IF I used them after doing the work. Thought it's be cool to say that I did them myself too when talking about the engine. Rick I have a band saw in our shop at the family farm so I may do that so I can see the interior of the head. I think there's a yard in town that has a set of them for like 100 bucks or less. Greg, where did you happen to see that ripple info? I'd love to check that out too
nsorenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #5
Greg

Garage
Sorry, I would have done better not mentioning "Power Lynz". Apparently since i read the initial article it has been proven to be mostly hype.

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #6

Question

What is the current preference for G3 Heads - Apache, Eagle or ?
HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #7

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiFun05 View Post
What is the current preference for G3 Heads - Apache, Eagle or ?
-----------------------
If using a 6.4 in a G3 - Apache...
HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:46 PM   #8

Garage
Apaches seam to be the hot ticket, for any G3s they shroud a bit on 5.7 bores, but nothing a little bore notch can't handle.
The Eagle seams to be a good all round head, the SRT 6.1s flow about the same as the stock Eagles.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #9

Garage
Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? | Unlawfl's Race & Engine Tech | Moparts Forums

Not sure if the link will , but it has some good info, and a few photos that will be a good guide.
There was a guy on moparts that had done ridge in the port floor, I will look for that post tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric3xrt View Post
Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? | Unlawfl's Race & Engine Tech | Moparts Forums

Not sure if the link will , but it has some good info, and a few photos that will be a good guide.
There was a guy on moparts that had done ridge in the port floor, I will look for that post tomorrow.
Links worked fine, thanks! Some really cool stuff in that thread. One of the guys posting in it has a shop a few hours from me. Maybe I go check it out sometime as I do get out that way every now and then.
xtremwlr is offline   Reply With Quote