Couple of ideas.... - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Engine | Modifications, Repairs and Performance

Old 02-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #1

I am a fan of "out of the box thinking" when it comes to performance mods. I have a real interest in the science of speed. I also love the idea that horsepower does not always need to be added, but can some times be freed up. So, figured I would share a couple of ideas I am working on for my truck. These ideas are not completely original, for I have seen similar things done before. Just never seen them done the way I am planning. Feel free to comment, argue, whatever....all input is appreciated!

Electric motor driven accessories:

So I have seen just about every accessory component have an electric version of it. Eletric fan, water pump, AC and power steering pump. This is all in an attempt of free up some of the horsepower robbed. My idea, however, is to simply mount an electric motor to drive the belt. The only accessory that would be driven by the engine would be the alternator.

Pros:

Simple design (just find the right electric motor and fab a bracket to fit it)
Fairly cheap, compared to purchasing all the electric components
Will free up a decent amount horsepower and throttle response

Cons/things to research:

Will it be cost affective? Will the gains be worth the amount invested?
Would you need the electric motor's RPMs to match the engines RPMs?
Would the larger alternator needed create the extra drag on the motor that you just saved? (my thoughts are no, due to it being magnetic drag vs mechanical/hydraulic drag)
Electric motors run notoriously hot, would need an efficient way to cool it

Rear mounted radiator:

I have seen radiators relocated for off-road vehicles and drag vehicles. But I have never seen it on a street application. My thoughts are to relocated to the current spare tire location. (I have a tonneau cover so I would just move my spare to in my bed) I would mount it at an angle under the bed with a "scoop" to redirect the undercab airflow through the radiator. It would also have a temp/manual controlled e-fan.

Pros:

Moves weight back to the rear, for better traction. (minimal)
Moves radiator to a cooler area, rather than the hot engine bay
Frees up the front end, which means more ambient air flow directly to the engine, which also makes for a an easier CAI design.
Would be simple to fab up a few "kits"....just a few frame wrapping brackets, an electric fan and the right tubing.

Cons/things to research:

Would the stock waterpump be strong enough to move the added fluid?
Would add extra weight due to the extra fluid and extra tubing.
Filling/burping would be almost impossible using the stock radiator cap. (unless I get a custom made t-stat housing that has a fill tube and cap, above the height of the motor)
Would the redirected airflow get caught up in the rear bumper, like a parachute?
Would air need to be redirected, or would a longer running e-fan be sufficient?

"The pain of a poor product lasts far longer than the thrill of a good price."

2007 HEMI Ram 1500, 4x4, Quad Cab, ST - SOLD
2006 Ram SRT-10, Quad Cab - SOLD
2007 HEMI Ram 1500, 4x4, Quad Cab, Big Horn Edition......work in progress.

Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #2

I am a fan of "out of the box thinking" when it comes to performance mods. I have a real interest in the science of speed. I also love the idea that horsepower does not always need to be added, but can some times be freed up. So, figured I would share a couple of ideas I am working on for my truck. These ideas are not completely original, for I have seen similar things done before. Just never seen them done the way I am planning. Feel free to comment, argue, whatever....all input is appreciated!

Electric motor driven accessories:

So I have seen just about every accessory component have an electric version of it. Eletric fan, water pump, AC and power steering pump. This is all in an attempt of free up some of the horsepower robbed. My idea, however, is to simply mount an electric motor to drive the belt. The only accessory that would be driven by the engine would be the alternator.

Pros:

Simple design (just find the right electric motor and fab a bracket to fit it)
Fairly cheap, compared to purchasing all the electric components
Will free up a decent amount horsepower and throttle response

Cons/things to research:

Will it be cost affective? Will the gains be worth the amount invested?
Would you need the electric motor's RPMs to match the engines RPMs?
Would the larger alternator needed create the extra drag on the motor that you just saved? (my thoughts are no, due to it being magnetic drag vs mechanical/hydraulic drag)
Electric motors run notoriously hot, would need an efficient way to cool it

Rear mounted radiator:

I have seen radiators relocated for off-road vehicles and drag vehicles. But I have never seen it on a street application. My thoughts are to relocated to the current spare tire location. (I have a tonneau cover so I would just move my spare to in my bed) I would mount it at an angle under the bed with a "scoop" to redirect the undercab airflow through the radiator. It would also have a temp/manual controlled e-fan.

Pros:

Moves weight back to the rear, for better traction. (minimal)
Moves radiator to a cooler area, rather than the hot engine bay
Frees up the front end, which means more ambient air flow directly to the engine, which also makes for a an easier CAI design.
Would be simple to fab up a few "kits"....just a few frame wrapping brackets, an electric fan and the right tubing.

Cons/things to research:

Would the stock waterpump be strong enough to move the added fluid?
Would add extra weight due to the extra fluid and extra tubing.
Filling/burping would be almost impossible using the stock radiator cap. (unless I get a custom made t-stat housing that has a fill tube and cap, above the height of the motor)
Would the redirected airflow get caught up in the rear bumper, like a parachute?
Would air need to be redirected, or would a longer running e-fan be sufficient?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #3

The electric driven accessories isn't a bad idea. Lots of newer cars run electric PS pumps and some even run an electric AC. I have even heard of some having a starter/alternator combo. No idea how that one works.
An electric water pump by itself can free up 20hp on most V8's but as for the rest it would not be cost effective and an electric motor to drive everything else would probably draw more amps than the alternator could put out.

The rear mount radiator might work but under the truck like that it could be real easy to damage from anything on the road. You would also likely need a better pump to run that much coolant that far. You would have to run electric fans and even if you made some type of scoop to push air into the radiator the fans would run almost all the time.

I think I would just stick with the standards of an underdrive crank pulley, an efan, and a good cold air kit.
There are cold air kits that will put the intake down behind the headlight or even farther down. You can also get one of the scoops from Airram. The Vararam intake also pulls air from outside of the engine bay.
2005 Ram Daytona #1445 / GoManGo! / Mopar CAI / Night Runner 22"s / Auburn limited slip / 2-4 Drop/ Edelbrock mid-length headers / Custom True Dual Exhaust / Superchips Flashpaq / Summit Racing Underdrive / Trango Shift kit / Edge Racing TC / Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock / EVS II with Sentry key and remote start / Alpine, Orion, and Kicker custom stereo / SilverStar headlights and foglights / Optima Yellow Top / AEM Wideband in SRT-10 Pillar / Retrax Bed Cover / Spray in Bed Liner

Bill_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #4

Oh...also this is on my Viper truck. Had an 07 Hemi with a Vararam and loved it. Not many good CAIs out there for the SRT platform. I have heard that with the move of the radiator from the hot engine bay (especially in my truck) to another area drops the temps dramatically. It is definitely an idea I am going to look in to.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
David

Garage
I like the sound of +20hp with an elec water pump

ATXHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Board of Directors

Garage
One cheaper alternative to a full blown electric water pump would be to install one of the Mr. Gasket electric water pump drive kits if one will fit. At the track you change to a shorter serpentine belt and use the pulley from the electric drive to turn the mechanical water pump with the belt that comes with the drive kit.
'05 RCSB 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi Ram - Airaid Long Snorkel UBI CAI - Taylor shorty wires - MSD Coil Packs Magnaflow y-pipe - Flowmaster 50HD - Superchips 3865 - Motive 4.56 gears - Detroit Truetrac - PML differential cover some good Karma 8.87 ET
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by HemiByrd:
One cheaper alternative to a full blown electric water pump would be to install one of the Mr. Gasket electric water pump drive kits if one will fit. At the track you change to a shorter serpentine belt and use the pulley from the electric drive to turn the mechanical water pump with the belt that comes with the drive kit.
Nice....I will have to look into it. Another thought that I had would be to install A/C clutches on all of the accessories. Then you could just turn off the water pump and power steering for the track then turn them back on at the end of the run. This would only benefit you at the track though.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Greg

Garage
Interesting, it would be slick to run a electric AC/pwr steering pump.

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #9

very interesting

TexasHemi is offline   Reply With Quote