CAI..no wait..lift kit...but first electric fan...then...aaarrrggg - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Engine | Modifications, Repairs and Performance

Old 05-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #1

CAI..no wait..lift kit...but first electric fan...then...aaarrrggg

recently bought a 06 Hemi Ram, ever since then i have had this need to modify it and make it my own.....

it started with a Bully Dog downloader, eventually i would like to build a CAI, but before that i want to lift it 3", unfortunatly all the body lifts i have seen require you to hack the fan shroud and add spacers to accomidate the additional 3". i am unwilling to do this, so i have purchased a Mark VIII electric fan and plan to ditch the stock clutch fan. i have done all the research on the fan and install but i am wondering why the thermostat switches only have one terminal on them? aren't they just a normally open contact? if so dosen't that require 2 terminals? an in and a out LOL what am i missing? all of the schematics i have run accrost seem to utilize a 2 terminal thermostat also. someone please enlighten me!

EDIT- what would be a good temp to kick the fan on? 200 mabey 210 degrees?

every peoject i do to my truck seems to snowball, i wanted a lift but don't want to cut my shroud all up, so i decide to do an electric fan, after i remove the shroud i won't have any place to hang the coolant and windshield washer containers, looks like i have to make make something for that too

tigman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 12:29 AM   #2

Quote:
quote:EDIT- what would be a good temp to kick the fan on? 200 mabey 210 degrees?
you want it to come on slightly higher than your "normal" highway temp...That is the temp at which the thermostat opens and circulates fluids. This spike in radiator temp needs to be the "trigger" as to when to turn on the fan, as fluid temp lowers, the thermostat all start to close back off, thus this should also turn off the fan via the temp settings on the controller.. the way i set mine up is to let temp rise to "highway" temp, squeeze the upper rad hose it should be rock hard, wait for it to become less stiff (insert joke here), notice that the radiator itself becomes especially hotter, this is when you know water is circulating, turn the adjustment dial on the fan controller to where the fan just comes on, then turn it back ever so slightly (but not turning it back off).... repeat this for a couple of temp cycles, and you should be good to go!
as for the bottle relocate idea.. i never pass up and opportunity to show mine off.
good luck, and say hi to the Mod Money for us!
madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:04 AM   #3

Why don't you go with a suspension lift? It's more expensive but looks a crap load better and you won't have to mod anything like the fan.
Starchief_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 03:47 AM   #4

madcat, that is a really slick setup! are the reservoirs custom made? i really like the way you have yours setup....gives me something to shoot for. where did you get your thermostat signal from? i can't tell from the pic, did you use the mark viii fan? if so did you set it up to utilize both high and low settings? again nice job!

Starchief, i chose the body lift over a suspension lift because i don't want to void my lifetime powertrain warranty, i could hear the dealer now, sorry sir we can't warranty your front end because of your lift...
Old 05-02-2008, 04:02 AM   #5

I don't think they can void it because of suspension. Suspension isn't covered in the warranty and has nothing to do with the power train. And I didn't think 2006s had the lifetime warranty.

But by all means keep the warranty!
Starchief_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:53 AM   #6

i bought the lifetime warranty when i purchased the truck, i thought because you were modifying the stock ride gemoetry that it would void at least the warranty of the front drive assy, i don't think they would void the engine, trans or rear end but i hate to take the chance....
Old 05-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #7

Hey Madcap, can I have your reservoirs, SWEET!!!
Dave
Hemi GTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #8

any opinions on the type of sending unit to use? are the screw in's more accurate than the push in probes? do you just insert the probe in between the fins of the radiator?
Old 05-02-2008, 05:55 PM   #9

The fan is the Extreme 180 by flex-a-lite. It came with ALL the needed wiring, controller, temp prob, etc.. the temp prob is located 6 rows down, and 6 rows over from upper rad hose/drivers side. the tanks came from Moes (hard to find the "right" ones, but do some research), 32oz each, vented. 3/8" hose to extend the length to the bottom of rad tank (front tank) and Homedepot toilet bowl hose (braided stainless look) was used to interconnect hose from the washer fluid tank to the pump, relocated to the back (out of site) of the CAI shroud, twist/cap off the two wires together that was attached to the washer low fluid sensor to turn of the dash light. Other than having to fill the washer fluid tank more often, no complaints or problems
Old 05-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #10

Quote:
quote:And I didn't think 2006s had the lifetime warranty
I bought mine after they started offering them in early 2007 for $700.