Bracket racing a Hemi? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Engine | Modifications, Repairs and Performance

Old 05-02-2008, 12:40 AM   #1

Bracket racing a Hemi?

Hi all! Great site! I am considering buying a newer Ram 1500 RC/SB/hemi and my plan is to make it a dual purpose street/strip truck. I plan on driving it to the track each week and bracket racing it. Just looked a 2003 today but I am not sure if there is anything to look out for in the newer hemis.

I am a longtime mopar racer and even raced a 88 shortbed Dakota for several years with a alky injected smallblock but this new Hemi/injected stuff is all greek to me.

Have any of you ever tried to bracket race the newer hemi trucks? If so how consistent were they? What essential mods to the motor trans and rear am I going to have to consider? I need precise shifts, ability to keep engine temps constant and good traction from whatever suspension mods can be done without sacraficing driveability.

From what I have read the essentials to start are going to be a programmer, posi rear, exhaust and a good set of DOT tires.

Any tips on what to look for when buying a truck, the best parts to buy to start, and tuning tips greatly appreciated!

moparacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 02:24 AM   #2

Bracket racing a Hemi?

You're in for a world of new technocrap on these modern electronic engines and drive trains. I would think you may want to stay away from the '03's ..You can get these heavy trucks to run pretty darn good, but you have tons of reading to do.
Solar_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:27 AM   #3

Bracket racing a Hemi?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Solar_Ram:

You're in for a world of new technocrap on these modern electronic engines and drive trains. I would think you may want to stay away from the '03's ..You can get these heavy trucks to run pretty darn good, but you have tons of reading to do.
Why would you stay away from the 03?
KOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 03:01 AM   #4

Bracket racing a Hemi?

My truck was always pretty consistent at the track. Usually within .2 seconds. If you really want to bracket race make sure you get drag radials and a posi. If you can't hook up there's no way you can be consistent.

I bet he says stay away from 2003s because that's the first year and I don't think there are as many performance parts for them. I think 2005 would be your best bet. But the newer the better I think. A lot of people don't like the MDS that 2006 and newer have. Doesn't bother me.
Starchief_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:06 AM   #5

Bracket racing a Hemi?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KOOCH:
I would say the same simply because there is no custom tuning available for them yet.
hemi_loredo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:05 AM   #6
Director Emeritus

Garage
Bracket racing a Hemi?

Welcome aboard moparacer - we're glad you found us! Let us know what model year you end up with... but either way - you're going to love the Hemi
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:12 AM   #7

Garage
Bracket racing a Hemi?

Many of us are successful with our trucks drag racing.

Even the heavy 4x4's. It's a matter of how far you want to go and stay reliable.

There is a certain amount of feeling good when you surprise the guy in the next lane..
D500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #8
Board of Directors (Jay)

Bracket racing a Hemi?

Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:51 AM   #9

Bracket racing a Hemi?

At the last Hemi Truck Club Ralley we bracket raced and sent all the locals home. At first I figured we had no chance against seasoned vets on their own track. They were not happy having to trailer their cars so early, even after buying back in a few times!!

YES, They are good for bracket racing!
CRAZYHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #10

Bracket racing a Hemi?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by KOOCH:
I would say the same simply because there is no custom tuning available for them yet.
Dagnabbit I found a 03 with low milage in my area I was going to deal on... So I take it you cant use a superchip on it?

Hands down without a doubt what is the best year to have currently?

Quote:
quote:YES, They are good for bracket racing!
In the class I run which is NHRA divison 1 non electronic you have to have a VERY consistent car/truck. When I say consistent I mean running within a couple hundredths or alot of the times dead on your dial in most every pass. Predictability is also important and I was wandering if there are any ways to set the injection systems up so they dont compensate for altitude/air quality changes.

Is this possible currently?
moparacer is offline   Reply With Quote