Any help appreciated. Not so impressed with my 05 - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Engine | Modifications, Repairs and Performance

Old 04-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #1

Any help appreciated. Not so impressed with my 05

All-

I am pulling my hair out. I just finished installing my TBS and a VaraRam intake set up. This in addition to my Thorley Cat Back. I am still not convinced that I have improved the truck at all. I just returned from a trip to SC, pulling a small Bass Tracker and was averaging only 13.8 MPG on the interstate. Worse than that, the truck seems to have lost most of it's "Snap" from stock. I have reset the computer, and tried Synthetic oil.
With right at 32,000 miles, and all of the factory maintenance followed, what do I need to do to get this thing moving?? The shifts seem sluggish to me, and I never know whether the truck is going to leap into passing gear, or hit that "second" second gear instead. If I am rolling slow, and tap the gas, all I get is breathing noise. I had previously read that guys with similar set ups were impressed with the quicker throttle response. So far, I can't seem to get it.

Any help would be grestly appreciated. Do you guys think it is running too lean or something??

Thanks a ton.

Ryan

Hayabusa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Director Emeritus

Garage

To firm up the shifts you're going to need the Superchips programmer.

If it were me, I'd remove that TBS... just my $.02.

Have you replaced your PCV valve and cleaned the TB?

What air pressure are you running in your tires?
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #3

mudchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2008, 11:36 AM   #4

Time to clean the T.B.
megacab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #5

Cleaning up everything helps.
zwa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #6

Thanks guys. The TBS will have to stay due to the VaraRam, Duane @ 3rd Strike warned me that they do not fit well without it. I guess I will have to research cleaning the throttle body, but it sure does not look dirty.
I am looking forward to adding a programmer to the truck, but can't afford one at the moment.
I appreciate the suggestions.

R
Old 04-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
Board of Directors

Garage

You will love the difference the Flashpaq makes.
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
semo03hemiram

How many miles do you have on the truck Hayabusa1? I would start first thing checking to make sure the TBS was installed correctly (meaning the gasket didn't slip out, etc) Easy way to do that is to spray some wd-40 at the TBS and see if your engine surges. If it does, you have a problem somewhere. If it doesn't, you are good to go as far as that is concerned, just make sure you do both sides, and you have the intake still installed. Second, I would look at the inside of the TB itself, and the PCV valve area. It is possible your valve is clogged and not letting your truck get the power it deserves. Last thing I would look at is the IAT sensor, just to make sure it wasn't damaged during installation. If none of this helps, take it to Auto Zone or somewhere and have them check for codes. They don't always show an engine light.....
Old 04-30-2008, 05:38 PM   #9

Duane-

The truck has right at 33,000 miles on it. I will try the WD-40 trick, and check the PVC valve. Seems like it is "young" in mileage to have an issue there, but you never know.

Thanks for the suggestions-

Ryan
Old 05-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
Director Emeritus

Ryan, if you decide to get a PCV valve, be sure to get one directly from a Dodge parts department, they have very specific tolerances.

If you haven't changed your plugs yet, that may be another option for you. You can get the 16 NGK 5306's you need for about $40.00 and plan on about 3 hours to do it yourself.

If there is any possible way to get rid of the throttle body spacer, I would do it. I have never read or heard of anyone gaining anything from a throttle body spacer.

It wouldn't hurt to reset your PCM by pulling the appropriate fuse. There's a post made here somewhere about the correct fuse/procedure for your '05.

Adding a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to your next tank wouldn't hurt either.

It also wouldn't hurt to try using a different gas either, a different brand that is.

The very best mileage I've ever gotten from my '03 was 16.4 mpg - all highway, right after I'd cleaned my TB, changed my PCV valve and spark plugs. My truck averages between 8 and 9 mpg winter around town and 11 to 12 during the summer months. Fortunately for me, I'm lucky if I put 2,000 miles a year on my truck.

You've probably done lots and lots of reading in the forums already, but keep looking and you'll find many other hints and tips and tricks that others have tried with some successes.

Keep trying...

Steve
HEMI-PUP is offline   Reply With Quote