All 03 Ram owners with a cam... - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Engine | Modifications, Repairs and Performance

Old 04-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #1

All 03 Ram owners with a cam...

Hello all, first post for the new screen name, I was here back in 06 and Mr. Hemi was great in helping me get started on moding my 03. Well time has went by. Here is what I got- Longtubes, y-pipe, superchips 3715, again 03 1500 regular cab, short bed, 20", 3.92 gears.
Now question is, I need a cam.

Looking at Comp 260, the sidewinder- if anyone else has a cam recomendation that works with the STOCK pcm with superchips then chime in.

On another note, if I need the psc100-3 or whatever it is with wideband and other tuning stuff then I'm just gonna go with a comp 268 or KRC 216 since I'll be tuning them for sure anyway.

I really don't want to tune A.) because I've only worked with carbs before and don't know jack about computers B.) cost is more.

So give me some feedback FROM 03 owners cause you know we are greatly handicapped when it comes to hand held tuners out there.

A million thanks to all who opine.

-Gabe

03ramnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
Board of Directors (Jay)

First,

The 6.1 cam is cheap, and PCM friendly.
Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #3

Jay, I know the 6.1 is pcm friendly, I just didn't want all the top end and lack of low end. I guess since you have 4.56's it's not too big of a deal but I'm not to change out the gear as well as a cam.

Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Director Emeritus

Garage

Welcome back 03ramnNC What was your handle back in '06?
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:21 PM   #5

With any cam upgrade I'd highly recommend upgrading your valve springs to the 6.1 exhaust springs. It's a cheap upgrade, that you'll regret not doing. The 6.1 is the most computer friendly cam, but like you said is mainly a higher rpm cam. Moesperformance and Sharadon have just released a new cam that's computer friendly, and so far Bob is very happy with it, here's a link..
http://moesperformance.com/index.php...oducts_id=9024

The comp 260 is code free in I'd say about 50% of trucks. The 260 has proven itself to be a very good cam in these trucks.
I'm not familiar with any of the franks racing cams so I can't really say anythign about them.
proudhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #6

I have the comp 268 cam, the 3615 superchips, and the psc1-003. No matter what the cam throws the multiple engine mifire code. Aslong as you don't mind the CEL being on, I def go with this cam, It's really an awesome cam, with a great sounding lobe to it. It has great power through the RPM band. Asfar as tuning the psc1-003, alot of guys have there tuning settings on different sites, and when you buy it it comes with a base tune for your cam, I haven't changed mine cause my A/F is pretty good.
hemidodgeram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #7

Yeah I'm also running the 268 but he's wanting a computer friendly cam. And I don't get the random/multiple misfire code anymore Throw in a 180 t-stat and richen it up at idle, it'll probaly go away. Do you have a wideband?
Old 04-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
Board of Directors (Jay)

Quote:
quote:Jay, I know the 6.1 is pcm friendly, I just didn't want all the top end and lack of low end
It's not the cam that does that, it's a byproduct of the cam. Going to a "bigger" cam in any motor, lowers the cranking compression. That is the reason for low end falling off. The 6.1 heads I have, bring the compression back up, thus, no loss of low end. Mr. Hemi even commented how "torquey" the truck was.
Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #9

First of thanks again,

MrHemi- I don't know what my handle was back in 06 that's why I re-registered...can't remember it, also I dropped that email address with gmail and since it's been taken...thus new handle. Good to see you are doing well.

ProudHemi- yes springs, retainers, keepers, pushrods... the whole 9 is gonna be new, no skimping there. Yep, that's what I expected 50% are throwing codes but as you know mine is the 03 truck and it just seems to me that you have to go pretty far out of your way to make things workout thus, I wanted to try to find one that works with the stock pcm and Superchips. Also, from what I've been reading about the code throwing and correct me if I'm wrong (260 cam), the codes are thrown because of a rich condition at idle? I just thought a 180 thermorstate would make that condition worse?? Of course I'm just speaking of the majority of what I've read, no experience.

Hemidodgeram- dude that's why I'm back from DodgeTalk... you just said what I needed to hear... the psc1-003 comes with a base tune? No one has every mentioned that??? I would be more comfortable with tuning like that where you have a baseline and then make some minute adjustments, tell me more..I WOULD LOVE to go with the 268...those things sound nasty and midrange looks great but right now I don't think I have the money for the psc-1003 and wideband and whatever else is needed.

Jay- agreed but I'm not buying 6.1 heads, or gears, thus I don't think the 6.1 cam is for me. I'm not saying it's bad cam at all, they should advertise it at the dollar store it's such a good deal and I mean it looks to add some good numbers up top. I want some torque or midrange not midrange and up. That's why I'm looking more along the lines of the 260 or sidewinder cam.

So I know everyone has discussed this a million times on every forum and I'm sorry to keep beating a dead horse but I'm really fine with a misfire code or rich code every now and again and I mean like every other tank of gas or something like that, not ever time I drive it for sure. So I don't expect this thing to drop in and be some magic bump stick like I can do with a Gen I small block chevy, I just want it to idle and run good with the stock pcm and superchips (side note, I really thought that superchips, headers, cai, and the 260 would lean the computer out enough so that it wasn't fat at idle, I would think the problem would be a WOT), since I read that no one can adjust the idle on a 03, that's the problem I'm scared of the most, stalling at lights, hard cranking, etc...

Awsome info guys, keep it coming
Old 04-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #10

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 03ramnNC:
First of thanks again,

MrHemi- I don't know what my handle was back in 06 that's why I re-registered...can't remember it, also I dropped that email address with gmail and since it's been taken...thus new handle. Good to see you are doing well.

ProudHemi- yes springs, retainers, keepers, pushrods... the whole 9 is gonna be new, no skimping there. Yep, that's what I expected 50% are throwing codes but as you know mine is the 03 truck and it just seems to me that you have to go pretty far out of your way to make things workout thus, I wanted to try to find one that works with the stock pcm and Superchips. Also, from what I've been reading about the code throwing and correct me if I'm wrong (260 cam), the codes are thrown because of a rich condition at idle? I just thought a 180 thermorstate would make that condition worse?? Of course I'm just speaking of the majority of what I've read, no experience.

Hemidodgeram- dude that's why I'm back from DodgeTalk... you just said what I needed to hear... the psc1-003 comes with a base tune? No one has every mentioned that??? I would be more comfortable with tuning like that where you have a baseline and then make some minute adjustments, tell me more..I WOULD LOVE to go with the 268...those things sound nasty and midrange looks great but right now I don't think I have the money for the psc-1003 and wideband and whatever else is needed.

Jay- agreed but I'm not buying 6.1 heads, or gears, thus I don't think the 6.1 cam is for me. I'm not saying it's bad cam at all, they should advertise it at the dollar store it's such a good deal and I mean it looks to add some good numbers up top. I want some torque or midrange not midrange and up. That's why I'm looking more along the lines of the 260 or sidewinder cam.

So I know everyone has discussed this a million times on every forum and I'm sorry to keep beating a dead horse but I'm really fine with a misfire code or rich code every now and again and I mean like every other tank of gas or something like that, not ever time I drive it for sure. So I don't expect this thing to drop in and be some magic bump stick like I can do with a Gen I small block chevy, I just want it to idle and run good with the stock pcm and superchips (side note, I really thought that superchips, headers, cai, and the 260 would lean the computer out enough so that it wasn't fat at idle, I would think the problem would be a WOT), since I read that no one can adjust the idle on a 03, that's the problem I'm scared of the most, stalling at lights, hard cranking, etc...

Awsome info guys, keep it coming
I was refering to hemidodgeram about adding a lower temp t-stat add adding fuel at idle to get rid of the misfire code. When I was tuning with the PSC1-003 as soon as I got my LT fuel trims close to 0 I'd start throwing the misifire. So I kept adding fuel until that code went away. It's a very fine line between not getting rich codes and keeping the misfire code away but it is possible, or it was on my truck at least. Check out this video I made today of my truck with the 268 cam...