200,000 mile engine refresh/build(ish) - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Engine | Modifications, Repairs and Performance

Like Tree5Likes

Old 02-06-2018, 10:42 PM   #1

200,000 mile engine refresh/build(ish)

Well, my 2004 is about to hit the 200,000 mile mark. The engine is actually running great and is still very strong. It's never been opened, at least since I've owned the truck. I bought it 10 years ago this coming April with 48,900 miles on it.

What I am thinking of now is to freshen the engine up some. I was going to just replace it with a stroker or a 6.1 but the more I think about it, the more I want to just leave the 5.7 in there for as long as it will go.

So I am thinking of pulling the engine to replace all the gaskets, especially the rear main which appears to have been seeping for a while. No drips but the back of the engine and front of the tranny are wet. Not real bad but I think a new rear main would help.

While I have the engine out, it would be a great time to inspect the bores and pistons, replace the oil pump with a 6.1 pump, new OEM timing chain set (6.1 set the same?) and replace the cam with something a little bumpier. I was also thinking of replacing the heads instead of having a valve job done and replacing just the springs.

For the cam, I am thinking of a Comp 260 or 268. I know there are (were?) a couple of 268s in the for sale section for around $200/$300. I have a SC 3815 which should be fine for a 260 but if I get the 268, then I will need a real tuner as well. Also will need the 6.1 intake and exhaust pushrods.

For the heads, I was thinking of possibly the HHP ported/polished 5.7 heads that come fully built or a set of Edelbrock Performer 5.7 heads from MMX. The HHP heads are a little cheaper so I am leaning that direction.

HHP heads: HHP/BES Ported & Polished Heads: All 5.7L HEMI Vehicles HHP-57PPH

MMX Edelbrock heads: 5.7L Gen III HEMI Performer RPM Cylinder Heads by Edlebrock

I'm looking for any input on my plans here. Suggestions or changes that I might consider? The truck is a daily driver and sees 10,000 to 15,000 miles a year involving a 20 mile commute in stop and go traffic, hauling my motorcycles to and from the race track each month, which is a 4 hour drive each way and various other duties. I need to have a stone reliable engine in my truck that can handle all that **** without blinking an eye, the way it does now.

After the engine is done, then I will start looking at the transmission. I might do the rear end before anything else too. Haven't decided on that part yet. It's the stock rear with 3.92 gears and LSD right now. If I do the rear, it will be with a Trac-Lock and 4.56 gears and all new bearing and seals end to end.

And a pic just because.

xtremwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2018, 06:00 AM   #2

Garage
Good plan , I'd go with the HHP ,over the Eddy's strictly because your doing more of a rebuild and not a "performance upgrade. The 268 is a good choice, the 260 might be better suited to daily "truck activity"
Love the Photo, my niece sent me this photo of my GTx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GTx 2-2-18.jpg (95.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-07-2018, 07:31 AM   #3
Chris

Oooh shiney! I like how the truck sits
You said you wanted a cam so you had some better sound? I wouldn’t suggest the 260 for that. I had that cam for a few months and you could barely hear any difference. If you turned your head and strained your ear you could tell it had a cam. Performance wise it was awesome, it would really start pulling after 4000 rpms. If you are replacing the cam, expect to put in new lifters. Both engines I tore apart this year the lifters looked worn, and lifters are fairly expensive. A good torque convertor gives a real nice bump driving around town, I got an Edge 2800 coming out of my truck in a few months when I get my other trans built.
4.56 and Detroit TruTrac-Custom Morimoto Projector Headlights
Tuned by Charged392
Tons of Pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums
YeahItsAHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2018, 07:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahItsAHemi View Post
Oooh shiney! I like how the truck sits
You said you wanted a cam so you had some better sound? I wouldnít suggest the 260 for that. I had that cam for a few months and you could barely hear any difference. If you turned your head and strained your ear you could tell it had a cam. Performance wise it was awesome, it would really start pulling after 4000 rpms. If you are replacing the cam, expect to put in new lifters. Both engines I tore apart this year the lifters looked worn, and lifters are fairly expensive. A good torque convertor gives a real nice bump driving around town, I got an Edge 2800 coming out of my truck in a few months when I get my other trans built.
I want the cam for power and performance, not for sound. I just used "bumpier" as a way to describe and larger lift cam

Good point on the lifters. For those, I suppose just stock replacement 5.7 lifters since they are non-MDS. Or are there better options for those?

Torque converter I will probably do when I do the transmission. Maybe when I'm doing the engine since I am planning on pulling the motor.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric3xrt View Post
Good plan , I'd go with the HHP ,over the Eddy's strictly because your doing more of a rebuild and not a "performance upgrade. The 268 is a good choice, the 260 might be better suited to daily "truck activity"
Love the Photo, my niece sent me this photo of my GTx
Semi-rebuild since I don't plan on tearing the short block down, just doing a visual inspection and new gaskets. I'm definitely leaning more towards the HHP heads. They are cheaper and that is with the added price of having the hand blending done on top of the standard CNC porting that both heads have. The core charge is a small factor that does bump up the price initially but since my OEM heads will be sent back to them, the final price is still cheaper than the Edelbrock heads.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #6
Chris

I went with hylift-Johnson lifters, my engine machinist used them, Inertia Motorsports sold them, and that was good enough for me. They ran $335 for a set of 16. Other upgraded ones are the Hellcat lifters, they run $450-$550.
For cams new comp ones run about $400, easy enough to find a used one though. I called Crower cams directly to get a custom cam made, it was about $425 I think. But then Stu at Inertia got back to me in time and I ended up ordering from him. That was almost $600 right there. But the cam he speced me was a good bit bigger then Crower did. I’ve seen a lot of guys say good things about Greene racing cams as well.
Tuned by Charged392
Old 02-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #7

I've noticed that HHP has 2 versions of both the 260 and 268 cams, once being a "fuel economy" version of each. Those versions have different lift and duration from the standard 260/268 cams. I guess that would make them more of the old style RV cams?

Hellcat lifters work? I would have thought they were MDS and VVT compatible lifters. Or does VVT not come into play in that part of the valvetrain?
Old 02-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #8

Here are the different Comp Cams specs, smallest to largest of the 260/268 variety.

260H-13 - Fuel Economy
Duration 246/258, Lift .470/464

268H-13 - 112-530-11 (Fuel Economy)
Duration 254/264, Lift .477/470

260H-13 - 112-500-11
Duration 260/264, Lift .522/.525

268H-13 - 112-501-11
Duration 268/272, Lift .528/.531

Jre104 still has a 268 for sale for $275. It's the last one listed above. It's a great price considering the cam only has 5k on it. I'm very tempted to buy it, assuming he hasn't sold it yet and not updated the post.

Would this cam be too aggressive for the way I use the truck based on my original post above? I'm sure I'd love the power but would the fuel economy go to total crap, not that it's great with the stock motor anyhow....
Old 02-07-2018, 09:29 AM   #9
Chris

The 260 fuel economy one barely looks bigger then stock. Seems like a complete waste of money if you ask me, unless it got better then stock mpg and that was the purpose of it. With my 260 my mileage stayed pretty close to the same as before, no better, no worse. Iíve seen this dyno sheet floating around the forums for awhile. I think they might have had a performance head on with maybe some headers. Itís an engine dyno, not a rear wheel dyno
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2A654740-9D22-4035-8868-C4179626B25F.jpg (48.3 KB, 9 views)
Tuned by Charged392
Old 02-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #10

I'm liking the look of the 268 more and more based off that dyno sheet. I'll have mid-length headers in by the time I do the engine work and already have a Fastman 805 casting 84mm TB on the truck so it should all tie in pretty well I hope.