180 T-stat - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Engine | Modifications, Repairs and Performance

Old 03-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
UPSTATENYHARDCOREHEMI

180 T-stat

Well I went ahead and did it. Put the 180 in today, all in all it was pretty easy ...... oh yeah except the part where the gasket came off when I pulled the stocker out . Well putting the new one in didn't realize that the gasket actually went around the t-stat(see above...lol )well finally on the third time pulling it back apart because I couldn'tt figure out why the hell it was leaking I finally realized that hey maybe this groove inside the gasket is for the t-stat to sit in . Well put it around it and buttoned it up and well you guessed it no leak . Fired her up and let it run till the t-stat opend and burped all the air out, wasn't to bad I think I only used a gallon or so of fluid. Probably wouldn't have been so much if it weren't for the three times of taking it apart

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
Board of Directors (Jay)

180 T-stat

Third times a charm.
Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:34 AM   #3
Director Emeritus

Garage
180 T-stat

MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 07:32 AM   #4

180 T-stat

Helping another member install his today.
Hemi Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:38 PM   #5

180 T-stat

Ok Guys, Hemi Jeff & I (mostly Jeff) installed mine today and now the gage will not come off the cold line but maybe 1/8". We can't get this thing to heat up to save our lives. We kept the top off the radiator for a bit while it was running (20mins+), then took it for a spin and the needle barely moved off "C" - dose this mean I have an air bubble or something...seemed to run pretty good...gas milage definitly seemed to be affected though.
Mo-Powered71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:04 AM   #6

180 T-stat

COuld be installed incoreectly or it is broken. When T stasts brake they brake in the open position and if that is the case it will be extremly hard to get the truck near operating temp.
HoustonHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
UPSTATENYHARDCOREHEMI

180 T-stat

I put the radiater cap back on and held mine at a constant 1200 rpm it heated up to about 208 before the new one would open. when it did the temp started to drop quickly to about 175. Then I went back a took the cap back off and kept filling the radiater with fluid. Be carefull not to let it get below the cross flow opening otherwise you will just suck more air in.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
UPSTATENYHARDCOREHEMI

180 T-stat

oh yeah which stat did ya get??? If ya didn't get on with the bypass blocker it will never heat up properly in cold weather. You need to get a stant part # 14168. It has to be trimmed 1mm because it is a 64mm and our trucks take 63mm, I just ran it on the bench grinder. You may also want to drill a small weep hole in it helps with purging the air out of the system. I didn't just took me alittle longer to get the air out.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #9

180 T-stat

Is there a good one that I wont have to trim and can pick up at my local parts store? I'm getting ready to do this but but would prefer not to have to go through the trouble of trimming and taking a chance of screwing it up.

Thanks.......
AirborneSilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #10

180 T-stat

i was going to try this one but then i decided to go with a 195, it fits without trimming and it for a 96 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 diesel
sppb is offline   Reply With Quote