03's High Idle Mod - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Engine | Modifications, Repairs and Performance

Old 09-30-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
Greg

Garage
Since there’s some interest in the “High Idle Mod” I'll post about what I've done on my 03. When fired up cold it idles at 800 rpm, as it warms to normal temperature it slowly settles to 625-650 rpm. What I did was splice a 12vdc automotive relay into the power steering pressure sensor wire. The sensor is normally closed and when it senses high pressure, the sensor opens and this signals the PCM to raise the idle. The relay in the open position also signals the PCM to raise the idle. Unfortunately this affects drivability if left open. So I use a rpm window switch to close the relay at 1100 rpm to reflect normal operating condition. Simple, above 1100 rpm everything is normal, below 1100 rpm the PCM is signaled that there is a high pressure condition and raises the idle. Using a Crazy Spartan 112 lsa, SC tuner 91 tune, PSC1-003 (piggyback tuner) and the High idle mod I have no issues and excellent street manners. The AC when activated also raises the idle. I have looked at the circuitry and am not sure what exactly is necessary to signal the PCM to raise the idle. The only other way I know of is to get a B&G tune. They state they can raise the idle, adjust the rpm and speed restrictors. If I had a higher opinion of the DSP (CMR) tunes I would say this would make a good base to work from. But I can not recommend using a DSP on a 03 as they have caused random problems from throwing ABS codes to killing the PCM. Unfortunately Diablo refuses to acknowledge the problems incurred with the 03 model so I warn folks the best I can. But there is no reason not to use a piggyback tuner that is owner tuned either with a SC or B&G I like the idea of being owner tuned, if there is something I want to change I can simply connect my laptop and make the change without bothering with someone else to do it. Old Redtruck is not a racer but a nimble street truck that’s fun to drive. Good luck..

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
Greg

Garage
Since there’s some interest in the “High Idle Mod” I'll post about what I've done on my 03. When fired up cold it idles at 800 rpm, as it warms to normal temperature it slowly settles to 625-650 rpm. What I did was splice a 12vdc automotive relay into the power steering pressure sensor wire. The sensor is normally closed and when it senses high pressure, the sensor opens and this signals the PCM to raise the idle. The relay in the open position also signals the PCM to raise the idle. Unfortunately this affects drivability if left open. So I use a rpm window switch to close the relay at 1100 rpm to reflect normal operating condition. Simple, above 1100 rpm everything is normal, below 1100 rpm the PCM is signaled that there is a high pressure condition and raises the idle. Using a Crazy Spartan 112 lsa, SC tuner 91 tune, PSC1-003 (piggyback tuner) and the High idle mod I have no issues and excellent street manners. The AC when activated also raises the idle. I have looked at the circuitry and am not sure what exactly is necessary to signal the PCM to raise the idle. The only other way I know of is to get a B&G tune. They state they can raise the idle, adjust the rpm and speed restrictors. If I had a higher opinion of the DSP (CMR) tunes I would say this would make a good base to work from. But I can not recommend using a DSP on a 03 as they have caused random problems from throwing ABS codes to killing the PCM. Unfortunately Diablo refuses to acknowledge the problems incurred with the 03 model so I warn folks the best I can. But there is no reason not to use a piggyback tuner that is owner tuned either with a SC or B&G I like the idea of being owner tuned, if there is something I want to change I can simply connect my laptop and make the change without bothering with someone else to do it. Old Redtruck is not a racer but a nimble street truck that’s fun to drive. Good luck..

HTC 2018 TOTY

Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Board of Directors (Jay)

2003, Std. SWB, SLT, 20", 4:56 gear, AFE CAI, Superchip, 6.1 cam, 6.1 heads, Manley springs, retainers, pushrods, Edelbrock Hedders, 195 T-Stat, 8.2 Taylor, AEM, Power Wire, ARC-1,Amsoil Everything, and more. Veni Vidi Vici

HTC.com Titan Killer Club

Member # 17

Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
Greg

Garage
Haha apparently their wasn't as much interest as I thought there was. However I still would like to point out there are more than one option to tune our 03's. Good luck guys...

HTC 2018 TOTY

Old 12-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #5

not bad any pics on this Greg?
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi. A few mods... 3865 Superchip 91 tune. 8.2 Taylor shorties. NGK 5306. Stock 3.92 gears. Falken tires on stock 20's. K&N FIPK Intake. American Thunder DOSS Exhaust. Sonnaxx. A/F ratio gauge. Srt10 gauge cluster Pillar. Pacesetter Lt's and y pipe. Magnaflow Cats. 1/4 mile 14.340 1/8 9.102 times for right now :). Lot more to come!!!

Will25990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Greg

Garage
The components are a RPM Window Switch and a standard automotive 12v relay. I used a Granatelli dual widow switch mounted on the dash end cover. I chose that location because it is out of the way and still accessible when I want to adjust it. I just open the door and pop the cover off. Had to also add a kill switch for the door chime to shut it up while the door is open.

here's the door chime kill switch.

Really not a lot to take pictures of. I have a mounting plate under the hood next the battery for the relay. As I have stated. Adjust the window switch to open the relay below 1100 rpm and the power steering pressure sensor tells the PCM it has high pressure and raises the idle. When the engine goes above 1100 rpm the window switch closes the relay and the PCM see a normal condition. Cold it idles at 800 rpm, as it warms up it drops to a 625-650 rpm. I have no side issues with this mod.

HTC 2018 TOTY

Old 12-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
Stu

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Redtruck-VA:
there are more than one option to tune our 03's.
So, what are the other options? Other than getting a dyno tune done for our 03's in regards to a boosted applications?

In the future, I plan on putting a much bigger cam in my 03. Your mod will come in handy at that point. Thanks.
Ghost03hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:39 AM   #8
Mr. Freeze

Garage

VA4MEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:47 AM   #9
Greg

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghost03hemi:
Quote:
Originally posted by Redtruck-VA:
there are more than one option to tune our 03's.
So, what are the other options? Other than getting a dyno tune done for our 03's in regards to a boosted applications?

In the future, I plan on putting a much bigger cam in my 03. Your mod will come in handy at that point. Thanks.
I don't recommend the DSP be used on a 03, which eliminates CMR tuning for a couple of reasons. 1. I have had unresolved issues using a DSP on my own 03. 2. DSP/CMR cannot adjust the rev/speed limiters. Makes no sense to me to cam the engine and still be limited to stock settings. But a few alternative include SC3815 to adjust rev, speed limiter and tire size. SC 91 tune also advances the timing at idle. Add a piggyback tuner to dial everything in. B&G tune can adjust rev, speed limiters, idle and provide a tune for different cams if A/F input is provided. Or a B&G base tune to make the basic adjustments and a piggyback to complete the tune. iEMS3 tuner to manage the engine. Primarily for boosted engines and I don't think it can raise the rev limiter. SMT6 piggyback tuner together with a SC tuner. Check out Splitsecond product line of add-on/piggyback products. The High idle mod I mentioned helps with idle on the 03. I am thinking of going with a little more cam and if I have tuning issues using my current SC/PSC1 setup I'll go with a B&G basic tune and the PSC1 piggyback.

Good luck..

HTC 2018 TOTY

Old 12-12-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
Stu

Garage
I have heard some of various problems with DSP/CMR, SC, iEMS3, SMT6, Splitsecond, PSC1, piggyback, ect, ect, ect.

Even with the Fast System, there's problems due to our truck computer accessory system set up. It's expensive. But, offers the highest engine all around tuning performance.

Haven't heard of any problems with B&G yet. Hummmmm......

It seems with our trucks, it depends on what your engine set up is going to be that determines which way your going to tune your truck. There is no "do it all tuner" out there. And no simple way to do it. Especially when it comes to our 03s.

There is only two advantages that the 03s have. The trans computer is separate from the engine computer. Therefor, you can use the DSP/CMR tune without negatively affecting the trans. And of course, disconnecting the Torque Management mod.
Ghost03hemi is offline   Reply With Quote