Torque wrench settings w extensions? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > General Repair Forum

Old 06-22-2017, 09:29 PM  

Torque wrench settings w extensions?

OK so if I am using my 3/8 or half-inch torque wrench with an extension for the socket do I need to adjust the torque setting at all? It just crossed my mind because it seems like sometimes when I use a two or 3 inch extension I am putting more arm behind it then I would expect. For example when I did my transmission pan and was only torquing the bolts to a 13 foot pounds it just seemed like more to me with a 2 inch extension on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2017, 11:11 PM  

It is my understanding that you will not get an accurate reading using an extension. I guess try using the shortest extension you can or even a deep socket if it reaches. What are you trying to torque down?
Old 06-22-2017, 11:18 PM  

I found a calculator that could help you

Torque Wrench Adapter - Extension Indicated Torque Calculator | Engineers Edge | www.engineersedge.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2017, 08:07 AM  

Well it was the bolts on my transmission pan. I have found some of those calculators before but the ones that include a picture show it as calculating if you are making the actual lever arm longer. So I am not sure if that is the same calculation or not. I use this one anyways for what I was doing and it was only a difference of 2 pounds so probably doesn't make that much of a difference unless you are using a really long extension. I was only using like a one and a half inch extension or so anyways. It was for my new deeper pan.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:57 AM  

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumRisk View Post
Old 06-23-2017, 05:02 PM  

Garage
Torque is torque. An extension for the socket won't change anything. A longer handle will make it easier to reach whatever setting you want to reach.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:59 AM  

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHTally View Post
Torque is torque. An extension for the socket won't change anything. A longer handle will make it easier to reach whatever setting you want to reach.
Your final reading should be the same--- the old tried and true 'cheater bar effect' less pain in the arm .
Old 06-24-2017, 02:11 PM  
John

Garage
I was taught (Military trained) that the only time you need to calculate torque, is when you use an adapter, such as a crows foot wrench, attached to the torque wrench. The length of an extension really doesn't alter the final torque.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:31 PM  
Truck of the year 2014

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHTally View Post
True and i also don't believe an extension between the wrench and socket will change anything.

But keep in mind that the wrench measures torque but does not know where that torque is applied, for example a damaged thread will give you a false reading of the clamping torque on a bolt. In some more critical bolts you have to use a specific lube under the bolt head so that you get a truer reading, the friction between the bolt head and the bolt hole edge gives you a false reading without the oil.

Read up quite a bit on it while doing my rebuild interesting stuff, all the more important fasteners (heads, rods,...) come with a specific oil to be used. Pretty sure it's not that super important for what we do, but nice to know and keep in mind. :-)
Christof Matthys - 2003 2x4 QC Ram hemi - 0-60: 5,4 sec @ 6900 pounds - tuned by Charged392 - 392 stroker - vararam - Flexalite Efan - 170 T stat - Taylor shorty wires - pacesetter headers - true duals - evap delete - airco delete - truetrac lsd rear diff, 3.92 gears, T56 6 speed manual - homebuilt rear axle flip - Charged 392 design longbars - energy suspension poly bushings - michelin contisportcontact 275/30 R20 - 2/4,5 drop - hydroboost swap - srt front 4 piston caliper swap - PLX Devices AFR, fuel pressure, OBDII logger

Old 06-25-2017, 01:01 PM  
John

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgiquebasterd View Post
True and i also don't believe an extension between the wrench and socket will change anything.

But keep in mind that the wrench measures torque but does not know where that torque is applied, for example a damaged thread will give you a false reading of the clamping torque on a bolt. In some more critical bolts you have to use a specific lube under the bolt head so that you get a truer reading, the friction between the bolt head and the bolt hole edge gives you a false reading without the oil.

Read up quite a bit on it while doing my rebuild interesting stuff, all the more important fasteners (heads, rods,...) come with a specific oil to be used. Pretty sure it's not that super important for what we do, but nice to know and keep in mind. :-)
Very true, all fasteners and attachments must be cleaned and properly prepared before assembly.