Sunroof calibration? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > General Repair Forum

Old 05-05-2017, 06:23 PM   #1

Sunroof calibration?

Okay, so the last couple days we have had torrential downpour here. Literally it rained for over 36 hours straight. But I noticed the back passenger side of my cab in the corner was leaking and getting water coming down and through the seatbelt hole and the liner was soaked. Thought maybe it was corner of rear glass so I used some rtv under the seal and covered with electrical tape to see if it quit.
I thought maybe it slowed down but it was still wet today as well. So when I got home I started poking around more. Was questioning sunroof but the wettest part was the very rear passenger corner in my Crew cab which is like 2 ft away from the sunroof so I thought..."surely not." Well, it surely is. I opened the sunroof and looked in as good as I could. Didn't see anything jumping out at me. Vented it, nothing still. Shut it and looked at it from the outside and noticed the rear passenger corner of the sunroof doesn't raise up the whole way and it dropped just enough to expose the bottom edge of the roof where there is a divit in the metal. So we are not even talking 1/8". I can push it up and it stays, but was wondering if there was some sort of calibration tech like with roll downs to "reset" the open/close parameters? Anyone know? Or had this same issue and had a fix? Maybe a motor setting or tweak or what? Thanks!

Future Dodge Challenger owner...if I am rich or gas prices drop....
Many mods to come....hehehe.

JustHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
Kevin

Garage
I'm not sure, but I would think there is some kind of adjustment for them. My truck is the first vehicle I've owned with a sunroof. I do know from my building maintenance days working with flat roofs that water can drip a long ways away from where the actual leak is. Somebody else will come along that knows more then I do about this. Good luck!

Check out my Ram truck feature page on Instagram @RamTruckAddicts and submit your truck pics.
BIG RED HEMI MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:24 PM   #3

Ya. I didn't want to rule it out, but I dropped the headliner in that quarter and could track water about mid rear door, but then noticed some moisture in the upper ceiling too. Wasn't sure if it was "wet" or some form of condensation from where I thought the rear window was leaking and collecting in there then with all the rain and heat in the truck etc. I didn't know what could possibly be going on. But pretty sure I found it now. And when I googled it the first link I clicked on a guy had the exact same thing in his 05 and he posted pics asking the same kind of thing and the post died out without a fix.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #4

Heck the first thing I tried was the little satellite antenna which was right over the wet spot and the third brake light. Those are sealed up really good now too...lol

Old 05-05-2017, 09:30 PM   #5

Lightbulb

The third brake light area has been known to leak sometimes - sounds like you've treated that area - I hate sunroofs but at least my '05 sunroof doesn't leak...I would not buy any other vehicle with one in the future IMO...

HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiFun05 View Post
The third brake light area has been known to leak sometimes - sounds like you've treated that area - I hate sunroofs but at least my '05 sunroof doesn't leak...I would not buy any other vehicle with one in the future IMO...

I was just thinking that today. I love them but this got me wonderin....lol. My 05 3rd brake light leaked and I fixed it too. Used the left over gasket seal from that to do this one too. Just a thick rubber weather stripping basically. I did some more digging and found a tsb from 2005 that covers recalibration of these sunroofs. I am gonna try it tomorrow. Apparently a pretty common problem in all of the LX, Commanders, GC, Rams etc. I am sure there are very slight differences in all the assemblies. Here is the link. Or one of them. Quite a few actually if you google sunroof recalibration. And all the first ones are Chrysler...lol

Sunroof not closing flush with the roof?

Old 05-05-2017, 09:45 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Wow! Thanks for the link - I've never seen or heard of this. We need to make a permanent 'sticky' notation for this site. Like you say: "It will likely work for several year models and several types of Chrysler products too".

HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:28 PM   #8

Yeah that might not be a bad idea. I ran out to the garage to grab a beer and decided to go ahead and try this since it only took about two minutes. Sunroof actually sits just a hair above the roofline now and the vent opens up farther than it did. So it's all fixed, for free, with only a few minutes of work. Now all I have to do is try to clean the headliner where the water stained it.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:26 AM   #9
Kevin

Garage
I'm glad you got it fixed! If I have any problems with my sunroof I'll have to remember that! Maybe there should be a new category titled "Solutions to known problems"?

Check out my Ram truck feature page on Instagram @RamTruckAddicts and submit your truck pics.
BIG RED HEMI MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:02 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiFun05 View Post

I'm surely glad we have only one. My daughter's Camry has one. She never uses it, so perhaps we'll dodge a bullet 'til it's trade time.