Hemi Truck Club banner

Redtruck's never ending tale....

362K views 5K replies 46 participants last post by  Redtruck-VA 
#1 ·
With the 46RH conversion successfully completed. Redtruck is in need of a mod or two. Next up is to finally get her tune dialed in. Keith has been doing the heavy lifting and I'm trying to give him a platform that is easier to work on than the Manual flashed automatic based PCM. According to B&G the current pcm flashed to manual trans can have issues due to software and hardware not being terminated properly. Bought a 03 manual PCM from ebay and found it to be junk. Apparently locked up from security lacking compatibility with my truck. Can't tell for sure since I took it to B&G to have it checked and it was DOA. Still going to use it for a core for a new PCM I've ordered. Told the guy it was dead and had been opened but he said "no problem". Manual trans PCM are a fairly rare bird just to note the obvious. The good news is the same pcm is used in Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500. And the vin doesn't necessarily need to match the vehicle. I ran a salvage yard pcm for a couple years before I reflashed it with a vin. Anyway next mod, take the new pcm to Dave@B&G for him to adjust idle, rev and speed limiters. Install a pair of BV heads. Then tune the old girl. I bought one of those push rod holders, so hopefully I won't have the same difficulties I had last time. So that's the run down on Red it's all good...

Reactions: bada44
#2 · (Edited)
Good luck, I'm starting to hate the stock pcm with a passion. Freshly flashed my truck idles like normal, the longer I drive it (the more the pcm 'learns') the worse the rpm fluctuations at idle get:-(, stupid thing.

Getting closer and closer to putting in an aftermarket engine management system!

Reactions: ric3xrt
#3 ·
Christof, I fully understand. I still have my Megasquirt setup I'm sure we could work out a deal on. But keep in mind with our trucks making the engine run using a stand alone is the easy part. It's the rest of the trucks equipment/accessories which is the problem.

#5 ·
Higher the mountain, the more satisfaction when climbed. If I didn't have state inspections I would have it stripped running a stand alone. But being what it is, I've been close a couple of times. The new PCM should arrive in a few days. This one will be fully tuned. Yesterday I stood next to a Chally with twin turbo's and a serious lobe. I was told it made over a 1000hp and was drivable as a grocery getter.. pure music..

#7 ·
Sorry brother they also supercharge a lot of street cars.. The superchargers I believe are more reliable on the street running 5-8 psi.

#8 ·
Oh no I fully understand having them tune it since they have complete control over a 2003 pcm. Tha part that saddens me was I wasn't able to tame it with the current mods. Before the swap from what I gather we were good to go. Then the swap added a little mix up to the game and the lack of control limited me.

#9 ·
Haha, I'm not letting you off the hook. You did great on the first box until the manual reflash screwed up the air flow table. That was beyond your control. I'll get B&G to adjust the idle, speed and rpm limiter. Then we can finish with your tune. We just need to see how the box acts and what can be adjusted.

#10 ·
Oh ok yippie lets do this! There is deff a learning curve once you run a big cam that needs idle raised in order to tune it. 2003 trucks have there limitations but once done we will know exactly what needs to be done to run any cam in a 2003.

#11 ·
That's the goal I have is to understand what it takes to use different cams and develop the ultimate setup. I'm seeing relatively low duration with higher lifts then are generally used with a 114 lsa making excellent power and idling well. And of course good manners is always necessary. It's all fun...

#12 ·
Picked up head gaskets, exhaust gaskets, oil/coolant filter. Push rods arrived this afternoon. Trend was really quick getting them out. Still waiting on the new PCM. But moving forward.

#16 ·
Bring redtruck down here to the fredricksburg area! they don't do emission inspections down here. they only do it in northern Virginia!!!! You can really get around a lot of stuff down here!!!LOL Ask me how I know!!!:brows:

#17 ·
Redtruck is good, with no DTC's. Matter of fact I just got a new sticker. Waiting on a new Manual trans PCM that I'll send to B&G to have a Companion Tune installed. Then Keith can sort the tune. But first the heads need o be installed.

#21 ·
#22 ·
Get it done man! Hope it comes together. If all else fails you still have superchips and a custom cam as a option. So shoot for the moon and hope for the best

#23 ·
Thanks, I'm confident it'll work out. It just getting the details sorted out using the right pieces.

#25 ·
Finally finished tweaking the switches a few days ago for the trans and today put them out of sight. Installed a toggle switch to turn off the OD/Lockup. Making it basically a 727 for playing hard. Re-installed the shifter cover so everything looks just like it did before I started. It drives and shifts pretty close to stock with firmer shifts as the throttle is depressed. This is with the 3000 converter so it would be a little harsh if a stock converter was used. I am totally satisfied with the conversion.

#27 ·
They are 05 5.7 heads CNC ported, hand blended, BV and PSI springs good for .625".

#31 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.