Hemi Truck Club banner

Low power and fuel mileage

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  bada44 
#1 ·
Hello all. I've an 04 Ram 2500 4x4 Quadcab with a new Jasper long block. Miles are 270,000. 7,000 on the engine. Around town I'm getting between 9&10 mpg. On the highway 11-12 at 70mph. At that 70mph I have little acceleration. Any suggestions? Is this normal? What have y'all done about the roaring fan?

#3 ·
Welcome to HTC. Is this a automatic transmission truck? What rpm are you cruising at? Sounds like you are describing a clutch fan that is locked up.

Reactions: ric3xrt
#6 ·
Thank you all who responded. Redtruck-VA, it's a slush-box. Regarding the fan clutch not disengaging, the only way I can get the replaced clutch bought from Auto Zone for the same issue to free-wheel is to accelerate hard bringing the revs high until I hear it disengage then keeping them above 2000. When the revs drop it engages and won't free-wheel again without going through the same process. I also drive an 04 Durango with the 5.7 and don't have this issue. I was wondering if because it's a 2500 series the fan clutch is designed as such.

#7 ·
Sounds to me like a bad fan clutch.. I would go with rockauto before advance...

Reactions: ric3xrt
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.