Flexalite Fan Controller's - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > General Repair Forum

Old 01-25-2018, 11:42 AM   #1

Flexalite Fan Controller's

I promised more info in my thread for help, which ties to this thread. Just went through my flexalite controller going out. The original worked great for 5/6 years. Went through 4 new one's (original black box) and couldn't get 1 to work right. 2 were irratic in their on and off temp's. 2 would cycle perfect while idling, but when driving slowing around the neighborhood they wouldn't come on to the point of the truck getting to hot. Using my factory gauge, a temp gun and my full sweep Autometer electric gauge they all verified the fan was suppose to be on. Everything checked good, bulb contact, location, wiring and cap covering tip.

I was at a loss and decided to call flexalite and talk to AJ. He suggested checking for air in the system. Good call but I hadn't been in the cooling sytem since changing the coolant a 1 1/2 ago. Checked anyway and it's good. Reported back and he sent me controller #4. Worked idling not moving. For the life of us we could not fiqure out why. I spent a lot of time changing temp. settings and trying them out. (This was a lot of work between 4 controllers.) Maybe just a manufacturing problem? Anyone have any idea's what could've been going on? My truck was down for awhile waiting on part's. Told AJ I was done with this controller and needed my truck up and running.

I'll have to say Flexalite has Great Customer Service and Support. AJ stepped up sent me
https://www.flex-a-lite.com/accessor...re-sensor.html

and
https://www.flex-a-lite.com/accessor...e-adapter.html

Everything I needed to change over to an inline set-up. What more could you ask for? There was no warranty involved for my set-up and they still didn't hesitate in helping me out and getting me back on the road. I'll have to say on a 1 to 5 star rating on customer support I have to give them a 6. lol So if you have a Flexalite set-up your in Great hand's with them.

I also added a Fan Override switch and light for when the fan is on. (This is how the help thread ties to this one.) New set-up work's great and problem solved. Sorry for the long thread but you guy's need some more thread's to read. lolol Also wanted to thank AJ and Flexalite for all their help.

I know you guy's like pic's to here's a couple pic's of the new set-up and custom switch holder to match my center bezel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0683.jpg (71.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0684.jpg (73.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0691.jpg (58.7 KB, 11 views)

TooCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
Greg

Garage
Nicely done...

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:18 PM   #3

Thank's Greg!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool View Post
I promised more info in my thread for help, which ties to this thread. ....
I must have missed your original thread and I'm not finding it now. Can you post a link to it so there is some additional reference please?

This thread is great for me since I am gathering the information to eventually do the fan swap since I'm still running a clutch fan and want to change to the Flexalite. So far, I am pretty sure it's the model 183 I want and then I will get the additional parts you have mentioned in this thread to hopefully avoid issues down the road. And I know there are a few people here running the inline temp sensor so that seems the best way to go.
xtremwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
David

Garage
I went through 2 Flex a Lite controllers. I gave up and got a Hayden fan controller.

ATXHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:59 AM   #6

Sure xtremwlr! I was just making reference that thread happened while I was wiring in the light and fan override switch. In the middle of trying out your wiring is not the time for that to happen lol

http://www.hemitruckclub.com/forums/...elp-26233.html
Old 01-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #7

David I was going to get the hayden before I called AJ. When I looked at it on Summit's web site it had terrible review's. Not saying it's not a good controller it just made me do more research. (As far as the review's I trust Your's and Greg's feedback on that more.) As this thread say's a call to AJ may have solved your problem to.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #8
Greg

Garage
I don't remember how hayden is suppose to be wired. But I always use an appropriately rated relay to carry the fans current and use the controller to operate the relay. This keeps the heat out of the controller..

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #9

Good Idea!!! That would increase the life of the controller.