Best value? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > General Repair Forum

Like Tree22Likes

Old 08-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #1

Best value?

In the long run what is the most economic way to buy and keep a truck on the road for the long haul,for a non mechanic type guy like me[yes I have to pay to get wrenches turned]???

I just got quoted aprox 14K for body and paint to get my 05 Daytona rust issues back to factory/new.wEre not even talking about potential engine/tranny work down the road...
I do love that truck....or...
Pull the trigger again.....Go in debt and buy a new truck that [the nice ones] start at 50k +.
Or does 1 go middle of the road
Freakin crap shoot...

What do yall think.
Im pretty retired/don't work lots so money aint rolling by any means but...A guys goota have a relieable truck to haul my 16' trailer and equipment occasionally.
Thanx for any thoughts.

wzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2018, 11:58 PM   #2
Greg

Garage
I hate to be discouraging but if trucks are your hobby then you need to do your own work on it. The cheapest way to own a truck is to run the wheels off of it over the long run. Keep the maintenance up and repair what needs fixing and don't modify it in any way. Wash it and wax it. Keep it clean.. if the rust gets too bad to deal with take a trip to Texas and get another...
kcd1369 likes this.

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:05 AM   #3

Garage
I agree. You need to do your own work on it, keep it clean and not procrastinate or cut corners on the maintenance like Greg said. Here in my neck of the woods it is normal to see 20 year old, 30 year old and even older trucks on the road. BTW, keeping it washed helps prevent rust.

Mine is a 2004, runs like new and looks great.
kcd1369 and Redtruck-VA like this.

Gila Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2018, 05:52 AM   #4
Greg

Garage
I drove my 1989 1st gen to town (farmtruck). Came out of walmart and there was four 1st gens parked together. All were in about the same condition, meaning actively being used. Not pampered.
ric3xrt and YeahItsAHemi like this.

HTC 2018 TOTY

Old 08-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #5

Garage
That's a tough one, if you put the 15k in to the Daytona and treat it right, should last you another 10-15years plus, but like anything over 15 years old, it's going to need something.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
Greg

Garage
The problem I see in putting that much money into the body is the running gear is untouched and no doubt in need of normal repair and maintenance. And when paying a shop $65-$125 per hour you can never get ahead of the cost curve. Leaving you with more money in the vehicle than you can ever can get out out of it. You see this on Mecum Auction on TV all the time where a car has been rebuilt. They will often say the build cost was something like $150,000 and the vehicle sells for $85,000. If the vehicle build isn't fresh, then the price is even lower. Most often a built vehicle is worth less than a pristine original. Value isn't everything, but it is how the majority of folks judge a vehicle. Custom work gets crazy expensive even if you do the work yourself. So it comes down to what is it worth to you.

HTC 2018 TOTY

Old 08-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #7

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
The problem I see in putting that much money into the body is the running gear is untouched and no doubt in need of normal repair and maintenance. And when paying a shop $65-$125 per hour you can never get ahead of the cost curve. Leaving you with more money in the vehicle than you can ever can get out out of it. You see this on Mecum Auction on TV all the time where a car has been rebuilt. They will often say the build cost was something like $150,000 and the vehicle sells for $85,000. If the vehicle build isn't fresh, then the price is even lower. Most often a built vehicle is worth less than a pristine original. Value isn't everything, but it is how the majority of folks judge a vehicle. Custom work gets crazy expensive even if you do the work yourself. So it comes down to what is it worth to you.
---------------------------------------
You can buy one better than the stealership could ever offer for less than the $50K you're talking about - it would be so nice you would be afraid to drive it .
HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #8

Yeah me and the wife going back and worth over this one....

Yes if I could learn to do everything myself it would be cheaper..Using that logic I can build a home,do basic wire/plumbing along with landscape and garden design,grow anything or drive it...Cars im Pretty good at diagnosing the issue "BUT" never put in the time it takes to become good..Greenhouse and wood working shop but no automotive gerr-age.
Back to trucks;
So do a bit o research..Some companys are quoting upwards of 18K for the same service so I know my "body guy[personal even] is being fair money wise,for high quality work.Still hard to rationalize it to the wife.The quote was for worst case senerio but still a scary number.
I feal if we go that route I wont ever have to worry about rust again in my lifetime of the truck.Sand blasting and rust proofing frame up inside and out of all panels etc.
Wife is pushing just to fix enough[ bondo] to keep stickered and get a few more years out.

So far ive kept up on all maintenance and the engine feals real strong.We love the awd/hemi combo but it also factors in..If and when we take on that replacement cost we are almost up to new truck money again.

Any way I look at it,it will cost me more to drive then ill ever get back out..
I also remember starting from srtatch,working out all the little bugs when you buy cheep to start...100 gremlins later wtf.At least with a truck ive owned for the last 60k on the odometer im pretty sure of what I got.

Maybe a compromise to buy time to#1 save some more money.
#2 talk the ole lady in thinking the truck may be a perminate part of the driveway..lol
Thanks for listening and advice...
wzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:07 PM   #9
Greg

Garage
Most anyone can buy a new truck.. It's very special to have a custom truck. It's not just about money...
SUPER BEE likes this.

HTC 2018 TOTY

Old 08-20-2018, 08:43 AM   #10
John

Garage
To me, it's nice to know I have a Custom Dodge truck unlike the thousands out on the road. I do most of the work on my own truck, but since I am getting older, there are some items I can't do, mainly because I have no access to a lift. I feel great pride in knowing others appreciate the work that was put into my truck. Most find it hard to believe my truck is 11 years old.
Redtruck-VA and ric3xrt like this.

SUPER BEE is offline   Reply With Quote