2003 3/4 ton QC SB 4x4 hemi....time for rebuild - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > General Repair Forum

Old 10-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #1

2003 3/4 ton QC SB 4x4 hemi....time for rebuild

So for those that are following my other post, I decided to move it to this thread because it's officially turned into a rebuild.

I decided that since it has over 200k miles and I was obviously going to have to do some internal repairs I may as well pull the motor and freshen it up a bit. I plan on working this truck pretty good so I figured I may as well do the work now and have a more reliable engine for the future. Right now I'm working on getting the crank pulley off. So far, I've bent 2 pullers....lol...time for some new ones. These ones have been used and abused for many years

pri_i_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #2

Garage
PB Rust buster, pull the crank bolt and spray a ton of it in there come back 3 days later and it should come off easier.
I had a 6.1 Charger that was a flood car, that whole thing was a mess to pull apart. but the crank pulley took out my new at the time "Hemi/ls damper pulley.
ric3xrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #3

Well, there's a new style puller for these that's a lot more stout. I'm gonna have to go get one today or tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #4

Ok guys, I'm looking for input and opinions from the professionals....thats you guys...lol. This is kind of a budget build but I don't want to go too "cheap" and have to do this again in 2 years. Obviously I'm gonna replace the timing chain and gears, rod and crank bearings, rings, gaskets and typical tune up parts. I'm also gonna replace the O rings on the injectors. All the coils look like crap so I think I'm gonna get one of the kits from summit that has all 8 because they seem like a pretty decent price. Anyone have any experience with those? I think a new oil pump is a good idea. I'm thinking just a stock replacement unless anyone sees a huge reason to go otherwise.

The 2 biggies I'm on the fence with are the water pump and wires.

As far as the water pump goes I've heard a lot that it should be a factory replacement and not to go with aftermarket because of tolerances.

As far as wires go, a buddy of mine got a "shorty" wireset from summit that really cleans it up pretty nice and from what i understand its actually a better quality set of wires......thoughts??
Old 11-01-2017, 07:07 PM   #5
Stu

Garage
If you don't have the experience with rebuilding engines. I would suggest a re-manufactured long block. It's the easy way to go.
Ghost03hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #6

I've rebuilt engines before and it's not even my first hemi. I'm just looking at options that's all. I know what I've done in the past and what's worked and what didn't. Like I said, I'm just deciding on a few options that's all
Old 11-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #7
Stu

Garage
Ghost03hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:43 PM   #8

After researching the shorty wires it sounds like a lot of people are having hard start issues, random miss fires and less mpg. I was under the understanding that the 06 hemi went to this as a factory set up. It definitely looks cleaner but I'm assuming there must be been a change in the coils too with the 06 and up in order for them not to have those same issues?
Old 11-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #9
Enormous Member

Garage
using shorties with no issues here

2005 Hemi Ram Sport RC 2wd Yellow. 340RWHP, 350RWTQ
Comp 268 cam, P.I.E. Milled & Ported Heads with 2.02/1.65 Manley backcut valves, Compression bumped to 10.5:1, 6.1 Springs & Pushrods, Pacesetter Longtubes, 87MM Moe's TB, VaraRam Hemi Under Glass Ram Air Intake, PATC flexplate, 46RH Conversion By Martin Saine w/Full manual VB & 3500 stall convertor, Diablo Tuned by Jay Greene, Dual 3" Exhaust w/ SpinTech 5000 series dual in & out muffler (dumped)., Taylor Shorties, Spindle & Flip 5/7 drop, Energy Suspension Urethane bushings F & R, SRT 20s, Cal-Tracs, Street Scene Grill Inserts, Hurst 1/4 Stick floor shifter, SRT-4 Seats, Belltech Street Perfomance Shocks......this all started as an exhaust replacement/upgrade & new tires project. WTF !?
Hugh Jassole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #10

Garage
Are you planning on HONING it (rering) or BORING it (new pistons) ?
2003 Dodge Ram 5.7 hemi, RCSB, lowered McGaughys 2/4, Centerlines, Bilsteins,Stainless Longtube Headers, Superchips 91 tune, CAI, Magnaflow,190 Tstat, Transgo HD-2 w/resistor wired in plus Sonnax line pressure booster
oldmanram is offline   Reply With Quote