Hemi Truck Club banner

Tuner for 03 Ram 2500

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  HemiFun05 
#1 ·
I just got my "new" Hemi!

03 Ram 2500 Quadcab HD
already has Airaid CAI, stock exhaust
Not planning on cams or anything like that, proabaly will do a muffler or even catback.

I have been reading conflicting reports about what tuner works

Anyone actually use a tuner with an 03 2500 ?

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
:welcome-0005a: and yes, I have the Diablo Trinity tuner. It works for any year and make vehicle from what I read. The main issue with our 03 trucks is the tranny tune. None of the manufacturers support both the engine and trans.

Its a bit pricy but has a lot of features. :thumb:

#6 ·
Seems you are still getting conflicting information. I would never recommend a DSP tuner for a 03 model. They have a known history of corrupting the PCM/ABS. Been there and done that. A SuperChip 3815 works fine as stated there is no trans tuning available for the 03. The SC3815 was replaced by the SC3865 which is more tuner than needed as it had increased memory to handle trans tunes on the newer trucks. However these can be found used in the $130-$200 range. Make sure it is unlocked so it can be reloaded on your truck. The 03 is the only model with the separate TCM and can have the TMR mod done it. IMO, just do the mod and don't worry about having a switch. I did this mod shortly after buying my 03 new in 04 and have never looked back. Good luck with your new truck.

#7 ·
about my truck

Thanks for the welcome messages !

My truck:
2003 Ram 2500 Hemi Heavy Duty SLT
mods done by previous owner:
Airaid intake
Rhino liner
Fender flares - color matched
nice Alpine stereo
(but he took out the speakers, just left the OEMs, and lots of cabling...)
running boards
aftermarket 18" rims

My mods so far:
fixed drivers seat foam (based on posts on another forum - I have 2 interstate trips coming up this month...)
ordered inverter and cell phone mount

There was just a bit of "hop" to the side when going over potholes - not death wobble, just a little "wrong" - we climbed under and "inspected" everything - only thing a bit worn was the inner tie rod end (at the pitman arm) - so got that today to put on. (My brother has an old Jeep Cherokee rockhopper with the same suspension - nice to have someone with experience around)
Everything else was tight. A very well cared for truck. Had my nephew the mechanic go over it in detail before I bought it. He said if I did not buy it he would trade in his Dakota for it that day.

next: Tonneau (probably Tonnopro Hard fold) - got to get that this week

I have had this truck 10 days. Daily driver, work and play. (Love the rhino liner already)
Replaced a Camry that is going to my Daughter for college (she needed a car, I needed an excuse to get a truck :)
Had an old Dodge 1 Ton crew cab up until 5 years ago - big, ugly, and reliable.

So, Tuner:
want to get a tuner - for the mileage boost, and because it does not feel like I am getting all that the Hemi has to offer - nothing "wrong", just seems to lack a little...
Throttle delay seems long, shift points not "just right", etc. It is not as bad as the Ford I drove (E350 V10) - I swear you could count the seconds between mashing the gas pedal and anything happening on that.
Even a little boost in mileage would help - not expecting miracles. And nothing wrong with adding a little "fun" to the daily drive.

After reading lots online, was leaning towards Superchips. Redtuck - thanks for your info - and I saw your ABS light etc. thread on another forum.

I called Superchips tech support today to ask which model would be best (and to ask if the transmission mods would work - thanks for that info too) - and got a clueless sounding tech guy. He "wasn't sure" and "had to look it up" (for everything I asked), and then informed me that they do not support the 2500 for any year, only the 1500. Not just not support the transmission mods - he said they do not support the 2500 at all.
That does not match up with other info I see online (even their website does not ask beyond engine size).
Now I am a little concerned - If he is right, I need to pick something else, If he is wrong, I certainly hope I don't need tech support...

I don't need the extra capability of the Diablo Trinity (nor the extra cost).

I like the sound of the TMR wire mod - I don't think I'll do a switch, just do it carefully and tape it up neat so I can put it back if I need to go to the dealer for anything -- I got the truck from a dealer, and they gave me a 1 year powertrain warranty, so I want to be able to keep it "stock" so they can't use that as an excuse if anything goes wrong...

No lift or major mods going in until next summer, partly due to the warranty, partly due to wanting to keep the mileage as high as possible for the long trips this summer.

Long enough post - appreciate all your advice!

#10 ·
Something I found a couple years ago that sneaks up on a owner is a bit of a body wag going at speed down a rolling road with the suspension working. When the shocks are starting to give up one corner will rebound at a different rate. The trucks are heavy and the springs don't allow you to easily bounce them up and down to perform the normal shock test. Depending on your mileage and quality of the shocks you might consider replacing them.

#11 ·
shocks was the first thing I thought of, but a couple of over 200 pound guys jumping in the bed can't get any bounce, and it does not feel like shocks on the road.

It is a quick bop-bop-bop and a hop in the direction of the pothole/bump - ie. if you hit it with the left front it jumps that way a little. The bop-bop-bop damps right out. The little bit of play in the tie rod end was the only thing that seemed loose. I was looking at the steering stabilzer also, but it seems fine. Trying the tie rod end first.
My brother's neigbor came over to admire the truck, and mentioned that he had "death wobble" on his, and replaced the torsion bar to fix it, but we all looked at mine and thought it was fine. Nice to have experienced help.

Anyway - thanks for the advice - if this doesn't work, I'll ask in the suspension subforum.

Still not sure which tuner - I'll wait until after my trip next week - long drive in the mountains will give me a good baseline, then get a tuner and do it again about 3 weeks later.

#14 ·
Good to hear.. well done..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.