Hemi Truck Club banner

Superchips 3865

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  charged392 
#1 ·
Hey fellow hemi owners let me tell you my story and get your opinions. Just finished putting $20k into my 04 2500 4x4, new 4.56 axles front and rear with air lockers :) and a professionally rebuilt 5.7 hemi .20 over with 6.1l heads. Replaced many parts with the engine including a used throttle body cause the original one had 250k on it. Tried to install the programmer and got error code T-62, superchips says you have a mod in the cpu, so took the truck to the stealership and had the cpu reflashed back to stock. Tried again and still same code, updated the programmer, tried again and still same code...Now the truck has a hard time starting when warm, I think the cpu is not giving the truck enough gas to start, unless I step on the gas when cranking it over. Took the programmer back to my parts guy and he will try and get it replaced, we both think it is defective. Called the stealership and they are puzzeled as to why the truck wont start when warm, they think the programmer will help put more fuel to the throttle body. Any thoughts fellas...?

#3 ·
My guess is too much fuel if you have to step on the accelerator to start. I would check the O2s and reboot the PCM. Are you getting any other codes. Are you using 5.7 injectors?

#6 ·
So both 02's are new, we thought that might be the problem so replaced them. Injectors are new, they are performance altho I don't know what size. The cam has a small lift duration again don't the specs. I think the superchips will help with the fuel/air ratio being able to tune the engine but not being able to install the programmer stops me there. And of course today the check engine light came on after it wouldn't start. I have a great mechanic helping me with the build and he is as confused as I am. I suggested this forum to get some ideas from you fellas.

#8 ·
Cant get a code using the turn the key 3 times trick, Im taking the truck back to my mechanics tomorrow before school and use his diagnostic tool to see.

#9 ·
Since you are still 5.7 I would try stock injectors, IMO the SC tuner is not going to be enough tuning. Maybe a PSC1 will help out. It's just a matter of messing with it to find the sweet spot. You'll get there.

#10 ·
A quick update, turns out the superchips programmer was at fault, called Ron at superchips and after explaining the problem he re-programmed it over the interweb. Awesome job Ron, thanks for the help. So installed the 87 octane programme, wow did that wake the hemi up! The starting issue when warm is now gone, starts every time. Took it wheeling for the first time after doing all the updates and I must say I'm impressed, handled everything we thru at it, including our super sticky river mud(arb lockers :) Thanks for the suggestions fellas, we did check the injectors for leaks,all was good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.