Hemi Truck Club banner

Megasquirt

40K views 310 replies 21 participants last post by  charged392 
#1 ·
Reading about the Megasquirt it sounds like it has a lot of capabilities. I still don't know if it is a complete answer or not. But thought it might be helpful to have a single thread to keep track of what is known about it. I have emailed them to see if there a kit already available for an 03. I'll post what I find. Anyone who has experience or information it would be great to hear about what you have done.

#28 ·
Originally posted by Ghost03hemi:
Originally posted by Mike@Diablosport:
Tire size has been working for years
Can tire size adjustment be used to get around the speed limiter on an 03 Mike?
Stu, My experience with the DSP on my 03 indicated that the tire sizing issue has NOT been corrected for the 03's no matter how Diablo would like it to go away. The simple fact is our 03's are outdated and all tuner manufacturer's are not going to spend any more R&D on them. The right thing for Diablo to do IMO is they should drop the 03 hemi from their supported list. The arrogance of stating that Diablo is the leader in knowledge of the NGC is unbelievable, especially with the fact the DSP couldn't adjust the rpm/speed limiters when their competitor's could and did. Not counting the DSP has been known to currupt the ABS requiring dealership reset and PCM lock requiring replacement on 03's. Which I unfortunately experienced multiple times trying to use a DSP. While trying to pursue a fix with Diablo all I got was how unique my problem was and dismissed, while others were having the exact same issues. Mike's motivation to posting on this thread is completely transparent. The thread is hijacked but I find the issue of 03 hemi and DSP lack of support important enough to continue along this line if necessary.
As for the ECT not being controlled by the PCM, if anyone would like to submit evidence that counterdicts the service manual and folks with personal experience I know I would like to see it posted. To answer Stu's original question, the common solution is to stack a competitors tuner that can make rpm and speed limiter adjustments with the DSP/CMR tune. As for idle, I use the high idle mod I developed to raise it to 800 rpm cold and 630 rpm warmed up. Megasquirt didn't develope anything specifically for our 03 Rams, but released a version that is sophisticated enough to serve our needs. The problem is going to be having the OEM PCM wired in a manner to believe it is still managing fuel and spark when it is really not. This should be an interesting fun project and hopefully with great results.

#30 ·
So, the only tried and true for our 03s is a "Fast" system?
I have only read a little about the FAST system and understand it is designed for retro installs. Basically it will run the hemi's ignition coils in a stripped out race car or non-computerized vehicle using a carb.. There is also a carburetor to fuel injection conversion for non-computerized vehicles that claims to be Plug n Play and self tuning. Looks to be a nice conversion package, but doesn't support running with OEM PCM's. Our 03 problem is that we need the PCM to run in the background separate from the engine. But the PCM to do it's job requires input from the engine. This is why parrallel install is important to make the PCM capable of doing it's job. Piggy backing works to a point but you still have the OEM PCM's limitations built into the tune such as rpm/speed limiters. Stand alone works but now you don't have the OEM PCM supporting all the other things a street vehicle needs. It is not if the Megasquirt can do the job of engine management but if the PCM will play nice with a parrallel install. Megasquirt also addresses knock sensors and may even beable to control VVT if using the newer VVT equipped block. Now with all that said, if you are not a dedicated DIY mod junkie and have a 04+ Ram there are simpler ways of having a tune done, but then you are relaying on someone elses expertise in doing it. Good luck..

#31 ·
#32 ·
#33 ·
#34 ·
This project is on hold until I return stateside, but I'm still researching and trying to find solutions. A question I asked before and didn't get a response was. Has anyone every used a load board for injectors or ignition coils? If so pls provide information on what was needed. Resistor values and wattage ratings would be great. Thanks...

#36 ·
Ahhh Stu, where's the adventure in that? I'd first have to buy and install the 05 PCM and trouble shoot it to get it run stock. Then buy a F@#$%&* DSP and pay someone for a CMR tune and then sort out the tune. And I'd need additional tunes for future mods and configuration changes. And I'd have to relay on others for the tuning changes. With the Megasquirt I can build everything myself and do the tuning myself as needed. I'd also have full control over rpm/speed limiters, timing, knock sensors and beable to control VVT if I built a newer block. For me it is clear the Megasquirt is the way to go.

#39 ·
Mike you are trolling..... as you know DSP and tire sizing is one of the issues on the 03 model and has not been corrected. However with the DSP now discontinued, I was hoping you'd cool the rehetoric.

#40 ·
Originally posted by Redtruck-VA:
Mike you are trolling..... as you know DSP and tire sizing is one of the issues on the 03 model and has not been corrected. However with the DSP now discontinued, I was hoping you'd cool the rehetoric.
You're right, I should have ignored his question entirely.

You guys are a little sensitive. Enjoy your thread, I'm out.

#41 ·
that might work...but it would likely screw up your shift patterns...
it's worth a try.

set tire size as small as it will go, and PCM "should" think you are only going 90mph when you are actually going 110 or 120mph.

#42 ·
Originally posted by white lightning:
it's worth a try.

set tire size as small as it will go, and PCM "should" think you are only going 90mph when you are actually going 110 or 120mph.
I guess I'll keep reminding my fellow 03 owners that it is incorrect to think the tire sizing problem DSP has with 03's has been corrected. It hasn't, but by all means if you feel using the now discontinued DSP is the answer. Go for it. Just keep in mind as folks are posting how great their CMR tunes are that the 03's still cannot be tuned to raise idle, raise rpm limiter nor speed limiter. Let's hope something different like the MegaSquirt might give our old trucks some new tricks.

#43 ·
Originally posted by white lightning:
it's worth a try.

I guess I'll keep reminding my fellow 03 owners that it is incorrect to think the tire sizing problem DSP has with 03's has been corrected. It hasn't, but by all means if you feel using the now discontinued DSP is the answer. Go for it. Just keep in mind as folks are posting how great their CMR tunes are that the 03's still cannot be tuned to raise idle, raise rpm limiter nor speed limiter. Let's hope something different like the MegaSquirt might give our old trucks some new tricks.
You dont seem to want to let me go.

You do not know this for a fact.
There are hundreds of calibrations available, and they all can have their own quirks.

I have not had any 03 Ram owners complain to us about tire size not working in about a year, as we have always done whatever is needed to update the tools to fix bugs in the field. Its entirely possible that there is a calid or two that still have a problem, but I am not seeing it.

You can dislike Diablosport as much as you want, but as long as we are paying to advertise here, you will not make statements like this without being corrected.

Again, enjoy your thread.

#44 ·
I guess I'll keep reminding my fellow 03 owners that it is incorrect to think the tire sizing problem DSP has with 03's has been corrected. It hasn't, but by all means if you feel using the now discontinued DSP is the answer. Go for it.
well, what is important in this case is whether tire size adjust works for Ghost03hemi's 03 Ram, IMO.

Ghost03hemi has Diablo, Quick Adjust won't effect his custom tune.

easy test:
Ghost03hemi can time his truck at 60mph between 2 mileposts, write down how many seconds to go 1 mile @ 60mph, do again after changing tire size smaller, and see if it takes less time to go 1 mile when speedo says 60mph.

Mike@Diablosport says tire size is working on most 03 Rams, so Ghost03hemi should see if it works on his 03 Ram.

would be an easy way to get around the speed limiter if it does work.

#46 ·
[/QUOTE]You dont seem to want to let me go.

You do not know this for a fact.
There are hundreds of calibrations available, and they all can have their own quirks.

I have not had any 03 Ram owners complain to us about tire size not working in about a year, as we have always done whatever is needed to update the tools to fix bugs in the field. Its entirely possible that there is a calid or two that still have a problem, but I am not seeing it.

You can dislike Diablosport as much as you want, but as long as we are paying to advertise here, you will not make statements like this without being corrected.

Again, enjoy your thread.[/QUOTE]

Mike it is only about you because you are the mouth piece for Diablo and keep posting on my thread. While I had the DSP installed and was having problems I attempted to contact Diablo for assistance and was blown off and told that I had a really unique problem. Unfortunately there were several others 03 owners apparently experiencing the same unique problems and also being ignored. IMO Diablo should have taken some action other then denying the problems with 03's and telling folks "it's just your truck". The simple solution would have been to dropped 03's from their supported list. Now after 10 years, with the 03 using the first generation PCM (NGC) for a single year you are saying that the problem that didn't exsist has been fixed? I don't keep up with Diablo products or development but this seems highly unlikely to me. But on the other hand there are some 03's using DSP tuner and not reporting issues. To those users I say if the DSP suits your needs then go for it. Personally from my experience I cannot recommend using a DSP on a 03 model Ram. I know this doesn't fit your story line, but then again I'm not trying to sell anything.

#47 ·
Install smaller tire size in the Diablo right? 29 inch?

I do appreciate everyone's help in this matter. Thanks Stu.
set it as small as it will go. i think diablo goes as small as 24 or 25 inch tall tire.

#49 ·
Thanks Dave.

I have a GPS that reads mph. I'll test the mph with it and the Key Trick. I'll take note of my trans shift rpm too.
you're welcome, Stu!

let us know if tire size works on your truck. I hope it does.

#51 ·
that's good news!

looks like tire size change worked on your truck, if your speedo and GPS agreed fairly close before tire size change.

if speedo and GPS used to agree, you have gained about 17mph at 45mph.

mph gained should increase as you go faster, meaning you should gain about 30mph at 80mph.

62 dv. 45 = 1.377, which is 37.7% change

80mph x 1.377= 110.22mph

so with speedo at 80mph, GPS "should" read about 110mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.