Hemi Truck Club banner

anyone tried hypertech?

3K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  MANual_puller 
#1 ·
I picked up a Hypertech power programmer III part number 50016 for $50. Made sure it would actually tune the truck, paid for it and drove it home. A couple times it kinda seemed like it had a miss briefly but came out of it. I've heard tuners can be kind of quirky the first couple days....I didn't notice much of anything in the gain dept going up through the gears or at wot but it seems to have a little more grunt going up hills in 6th. And avg mileage picked up by .1 just on the 25 min drive home and I was playing a little. Figured I could give it a chance for $50. I have noticed it is very limited with tuning though. Only has 2 canned tunes regular and premium and the only thing it seems to be able to adjust is the speed limiter of all things. I guess ya don't get much for $50 lol

#3 ·
I hadn't heard of them either. I had to do some serious digging to find anything out about them. I think it'll work for now. I'm going to leave it loaded this way for a while, might try the premium gas tune in a month or so for a while, we'll see. Want to make sure I leave the tunes loaded long enough for comparison. The manual in the box recommends using a 180* thermostat, which I don't have yet. I've wanted to do that for a while too but haven't gotten around to it. We'll see, a little at a time, I think it's about time for some new shoes though....that'll really eat into the budget! lol

#4 ·
I sent Hypertech off an email asking about a possible update for more adjustable parameters. It's very limited on the choices. I can change between the stock tune and 2 canned tunes, one called "regular" I'm assuming for cheap gas and the other called "premium" I'm assuming for mid-grade or premium gas. My other option is the speed limiter, my choices there are stock(108) T(116) and H(128). We'll see what they say tomorrow night, I sent it afterhours. I suppose if they can't do it I'm only out $50 :facepalm:

#5 ·
The truck really seems to like this tune. Noticeable difference, especially lower in the rpm range. And my avg. mileage seems to be up. I used to be able to reset it and it would settle in around 14.5/14.6 ish when I was babying it. Took it for a 20 mile drive, was setting the cruise at 55, 5 stop signs and back through town to my parking spot. And this is where it settled in at. I realize these readouts aren't entirely accurate but they work well for reference points/comparison purposes. It has me wondering why I didn't buy a tuner earlier.....lol

Attachments

#7 ·
That's kind of what I was thinking, why not? lol I figured for $50 it was worth a shot lol My truck weighs 6280# with a full load of fuel and me in the seat. I don't think that's too bad of mileage for a 2500 4x4 lol So far I'm happy with it, we'll see if they get back to me about an update for it :thumb:

#8 ·
this is what the thing looks like

Attachments

#9 ·
They are blowing those out with a sale for $79 new.

#11 ·
#17 ·
a lot of the guys that pull with autos will add an hd trans cooler and add a toggle switch to lock the convertor, not sure how the toggle switch works but it's funny when they forget to turn it off at the end of the run lol Those 2 things really help the heat issue a lot

#14 ·
Manual trans, it doesn't get hot. I usually get there early for weigh-in and let it sit until 15 mins before the class comes up, get the engine up to temp and let er rip! Usually pull in 2nd gear with the transfer case in 4lo, about 13 mph or so when she's wound up :brows: It's a freaking blast!

#16 ·
#22 ·
Yeah I'm interested :) I don't think they would need to be any stronger than what you're running. I re-found your custom traction bars thread, they look good! Have you made a set for a stock ride height truck yet? brackets and everything?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.