studs broke off - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Exhaust | Mufflers. Tips and Headers

Old 02-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
SICKHEMI2004

Garage
i just found out 2day while i was changing my oil that the back 2 studs on the exhaust manifold are broke off. so i have been check with prices with headers and the only ones i can find are between the 500 to 1500 dollar range. and some of those are as they say "universal". they are cheaper but im thinking i should stay away from those ones. i have to wait until Monday to call the dodge dealer to find out how much a set of manifolds will go for. Should i just pay the extra money and get headers or should i just stay with the stock manifolds? money is a key factor on this one. thanks for any help i can get

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
SICKHEMI2004

Garage
i just found out 2day while i was changing my oil that the back 2 studs on the exhaust manifold are broke off. so i have been check with prices with headers and the only ones i can find are between the 500 to 1500 dollar range. and some of those are as they say "universal". they are cheaper but im thinking i should stay away from those ones. i have to wait until Monday to call the dodge dealer to find out how much a set of manifolds will go for. Should i just pay the extra money and get headers or should i just stay with the stock manifolds? money is a key factor on this one. thanks for any help i can get
Old 02-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
David

Garage
The manifold may not be broken. Just the studs. Check with Duane at 3rdstrike. He has the Pacesetter w/ ceramic coating for around 400.

ATXHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #4

There aren't a lot of option for headers on a 2500 but I think the BBK's fit and are a direct manifold replacement. Just make sure to use dodge gaskets.
2005 Ram Daytona #1445 / GoManGo! / Mopar CAI / Night Runner 22"s / Auburn limited slip / 2-4 Drop/ Edelbrock mid-length headers / Custom True Dual Exhaust / Superchips Flashpaq / Summit Racing Underdrive / Trango Shift kit / Edge Racing TC / Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock / EVS II with Sentry key and remote start / Alpine, Orion, and Kicker custom stereo / SilverStar headlights and foglights / Optima Yellow Top / AEM Wideband in SRT-10 Pillar / Retrax Bed Cover / Spray in Bed Liner

Bill_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
SICKHEMI2004

Garage
the BBK headers wont work on a 4x4 model already looked into that one. thanks tho.
the manifold is alright but there is more... looks like there are 2 more broken off as well... so while im this far into it i might as well put headers on it cuz thats what i wanted to do anyway.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #6

Check with JBA. they have headers listed for the 2500s and they normally will only list it if they have actually installed a set.
They may require cutting and welding to install. They are a little on the expensive side.
2005 Ram Daytona #1445 / GoManGo! / Mopar CAI / Night Runner 22"s / Auburn limited slip / 2-4 Drop/ Edelbrock mid-length headers / Custom True Dual Exhaust / Superchips Flashpaq / Summit Racing Underdrive / Trango Shift kit / Edge Racing TC / Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock / EVS II with Sentry key and remote start / Alpine, Orion, and Kicker custom stereo / SilverStar headlights and foglights / Optima Yellow Top / AEM Wideband in SRT-10 Pillar / Retrax Bed Cover / Spray in Bed Liner

Bill_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
SICKHEMI2004

Garage
thanks for the info. i went through 3 strike performance but there was a mix up and i was sent some edelbrock headers that didnt fit. called the help line and they dont even make headers for a 2500 hemi. oh well. i just put new studs in all the way around a guaskets as well. when i get some more time and money im just goint to buy the long tube system from ARH american racing headers for my truck. they give out way more torque than a shorty could even think of but they are about twice as much. but if you where going to put headers on and everything went well it would take you about 5 hours to do the job. thats how long it would have take me if the headers where right, but oh well.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #8

SickHemi, What other studs were broken off? I was just under my truck today and noticed that the back 2 studs on my passenger side manifold are broken off, and my manifold shield is flapping. Im trying to think what I should do while I'm in there. Some headers will be nice, but probly not necessary, eventho I would really like to replace my exhaust from the exhaust manny back to atleast the first Cat. Those crush bends are horrible, ive wanted to get rid of them since the day I bought my truck 6 years ago.
All4traction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:21 AM   #9
Greg

Garage
This is not a fun job, but very doable with the inner fender wells removed. The bolts are stepped, with the main bolt holding the manifold to the head and a smaller threaded stud to hold the heat shield. It is possible only the smaller stud has pulled through the heat shield and the manifold is still secured. Headers IMO make a good mod.

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #10

I ordered a new gasket from Dodge, and the parts person wasn't sure about which bolts/studs they are. Ill have to go in and look at their parts diagram. There are studs that she says come in sets of 9. But it sounds like these are the wrong ones, ill need those stepped bolts.

I can see that the bolts broke off flush with the outside of the manifold. So both nuts are on either side of the dangling heat shield. I'm actually getting a bit of an exhaust leak from those 2 bolts being broken off too. That's why I started looking for broken exhaust parts in the first place. Ill make sure to remove the inner fender, it sounds easier that way.

I just hope those 2 broken bolts come out without too much fuss. Ill just do the one side for now, and keep an eye on the drivers side to make sure those bolts/studs don't break.

Glad I'm not the first one to have to do this...its quite an odd bolt to break..
All4traction is offline   Reply With Quote