Hemi Truck Club banner

purchasing a 2004 hemi 2500 some opinions

3K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  southbay 
#1 ·
well im looking to buy this 04 hemi dodge ram 2500. i want too know if anyone had problems and what you did to get better gas mileage, like exhaust, intake tuner or anything else you may recommend. thanks

#4 ·
Welcome aboard! What's the mileage on the truck? 2WD or 4X4? You can expect anywhere from 16 to 18 mpg highway depending on the drive train.

#6 ·

I guess that 2500 has single exhaust. If it still has the factory y-pipe you can replace it with a better one like the Magnaflow I have. It really helps the exhaust flow. The factory y-pipe is very restrictive.

#10 ·
Didn't have a 4X4 and the only problem I had with my 04 was the pinion seal.

Mileage is so subject to driving conditions and weight of the right foot. I don't usually drive like an old woman so mine isn't so hot... When I have babied them they aren't all that bad.
Highway mileage can be pretty good...stop and go sucks! (weight of my right foot again)

#13 ·
Originally posted by southbay:
truck is all stock,new plugs.thanks for all the help.looking to do a air intake,and programmer.what do u guys recommend.
Superchips 3865 is what I recommend. The transmission tuning feature is really nice.

#18 ·
Congrats on the new truck! Highly recommend taking a look at our sponsors (ad banners above) - great deals and excellent customer service

#20 ·

#22 ·
Originally posted by MrHemi:
Welcome aboard! What's the mileage on the truck? 2WD or 4X4? You can expect anywhere from 16 to 18 mpg highway depending on the drive train.
And thats only if you drive like your grandmother
with a strong wind at your back

#23 ·
First off...Welcome and congrats on the truck!

The experiences I've had with my '04 2500 4x4 have been pretty good. My best MPG's to date is 17 and I've only seen that once. The norm is 13 with my driving habits. This includes highway, slower back road driving and towing my boat to the local lakes that are within a 20 minute drive of my house. I run NGK plugs, Taylor shorty wires, Airaid CAI and the exhaust is a true dual set up with a dual in/dual out Flowmaster. I have mixed feelings on this muffler. Sounds good but at the same time I believe it is too restrictive for the truck. When the 17mpg occurred I was running true duals with the cats only; no mufflers. Loud, insane loud and it would throw the occasional code. To date the only thing that has been replaced is the rear u joint (crapped out at 40K). IMO the key thing for better mpg's is going to be opening up the intake/exhaust.

#25 ·
Originally posted by southbay:
thanks guys.going with the 3rd strike or airaid for the cai.not sure on exhaust yet,also some kind of bed cover or cap.

When I first got my truck I was averaging about 14mpg but my cap took away about 2mpg and the extra weight with the step bars, cow catcher, cap, etc reduced it to about 11.0-11.5mpg.

Currently I average 12.5 with my 07 2500. I increased the mileage from 11.0 by installing a Banks Monster Exhaust CAT-back I got from 3rd Strike - best price I could find. Increased the HP as well as a great sound.

Duane, 3rd Strike, also offers a discount for Hemi truck club members and Veterans.

I purchased the A.R.E.TW Series cap with three options - dual lights (front and rear) rear switch activates both lights, pop-down hangers (to hang clothes - had to drive from home to Hilton Head with the bridal party's gowns) and side win-doors. I then built a shelf to sit on the bed rail between the two side win-doors for easy access storage and allow room on the bed for additional storage.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.