Exhaust NIGHTMARE! - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Exhaust | Mufflers. Tips and Headers

Old 09-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #1

A few weeks ago I picked up a 2007 Durango 5.7L HEMI Limited edition Loaded ... Low miles, everything is like new. Life is good!

One thing that bothered me. Whoever owned this truck before me put a 24" Magnaflow Cat back on it. Looks like he had it ‘professionally’ done by someone local for it was welded up pretty well. Drone is terrible; all you hear is the exhaust all the time.

This is cool for a guy 20 years old but for me 40+ ~ not so cool.. in fact down right annoying

So I do some research on Dodge/Durango/Dakota Exhaust systems trying to figure out what to do.
I go to a local muffler shop. "You want no drone, put a MF 50 big block on it" “ok great thank you” (this is Friday, he’s closed weekends). Stupid me, I can’t wait so that Saturday I go to another muffler shop and explain my situation.. "FM BIG block?? Why da heck would ya put a FM big block on that rig, you want a FM 50 Delta, that'll do the trick!" OK, let’s try it. <--this bothers me some but hey, he’s the muffler guy -

Flowmaster SUV. Monday, I see the muffler he ordered was a FM SUV; which was great (I really wasn’t that cool with the FM Delta) but now I see he only ordered the 2.5” I/O so I said “hey, shouldn’t that be 3” in/out?” So, we run out to the truck and look at the muffler. “Nope that 2.5” will work no problem”. We get the truck on the lift and cut off the magnaflow and weld up the FM SUV. $200! <- bothers me but hey if it works no problem..

NOPE, same problem. Loud, heavy droning, basically back to square 1 $200 lighter! Oh but wait it gets better.. I shoot out an email stating I’m sorry for the confusion and would like to come back to try something different. He states “you know these are performance mufflers, right? They are gonna be loud if you want quiet you should of asked for a stock muffler”. Come back and well try to work it out.

Magnaflow from a Camaro! I go back to him Tuesday, he says “look here I have a 2 brand new mufflers I installed for a guy on his new Camaro and he brought em back because they were so quiet. You want to try that? “ . “I don’t know man it looks kinda small” (20” 2.5 I/O Magnaflow). “It’ll work.. Look how heavy it is!”.. Trust me. ~ Ok lets try it.

Nope, same problem. Its just as loud, heaving droning. Now I’m worried!

Stock AP 19” 2.5”. “Well fine then! Lets put this stock muffler on and I guarantee it will be so quiet you won’t hear anything but the tires roll!” We proceed to cut off the magnaflow and install a $49 AP muffler.

Now my poor truck sounds sick! And I feel sick. It is quieter but it still drones badly!! And now I’m 250 light with a stock muffler.

SO, here I sit. Asking my fellow Hemi guys.
Why does nothing work?
What the heck can I do to fix it? I’m totally open for suggestions.
Thank you for reading this NIGHTMARE.

Marines_142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #2

A few weeks ago I picked up a 2007 Durango 5.7L HEMI Limited edition Loaded ... Low miles, everything is like new. Life is good!

One thing that bothered me. Whoever owned this truck before me put a 24" Magnaflow Cat back on it. Looks like he had it ‘professionally’ done by someone local for it was welded up pretty well. Drone is terrible; all you hear is the exhaust all the time.

This is cool for a guy 20 years old but for me 40+ ~ not so cool.. in fact down right annoying

So I do some research on Dodge/Durango/Dakota Exhaust systems trying to figure out what to do.
I go to a local muffler shop. "You want no drone, put a MF 50 big block on it" “ok great thank you” (this is Friday, he’s closed weekends). Stupid me, I can’t wait so that Saturday I go to another muffler shop and explain my situation.. "FM BIG block?? Why da heck would ya put a FM big block on that rig, you want a FM 50 Delta, that'll do the trick!" OK, let’s try it. &lt;--this bothers me some but hey, he’s the muffler guy -

Flowmaster SUV. Monday, I see the muffler he ordered was a FM SUV; which was great (I really wasn’t that cool with the FM Delta) but now I see he only ordered the 2.5” I/O so I said “hey, shouldn’t that be 3” in/out?” So, we run out to the truck and look at the muffler. “Nope that 2.5” will work no problem”. We get the truck on the lift and cut off the magnaflow and weld up the FM SUV. $200! &lt;- bothers me but hey if it works no problem..

NOPE, same problem. Loud, heavy droning, basically back to square 1 $200 lighter! Oh but wait it gets better.. I shoot out an email stating I’m sorry for the confusion and would like to come back to try something different. He states “you know these are performance mufflers, right? They are gonna be loud if you want quiet you should of asked for a stock muffler”. Come back and well try to work it out.

Magnaflow from a Camaro! I go back to him Tuesday, he says “look here I have a 2 brand new mufflers I installed for a guy on his new Camaro and he brought em back because they were so quiet. You want to try that? “ . “I don’t know man it looks kinda small” (20” 2.5 I/O Magnaflow). “It’ll work.. Look how heavy it is!”.. Trust me. ~ Ok lets try it.

Nope, same problem. Its just as loud, heaving droning. Now I’m worried!

Stock AP 19” 2.5”. “Well fine then! Lets put this stock muffler on and I guarantee it will be so quiet you won’t hear anything but the tires roll!” We proceed to cut off the magnaflow and install a $49 AP muffler.

Now my poor truck sounds sick! And I feel sick. It is quieter but it still drones badly!! And now I’m 250 light with a stock muffler.

SO, here I sit. Asking my fellow Hemi guys.
Why does nothing work?
What the heck can I do to fix it? I’m totally open for suggestions.
Thank you for reading this NIGHTMARE.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #3

They probably removed the resinator too!! Most cat-back systems replace the resinator with a straight pipe!!

NashvilleHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #4

Correct.. there is no other muffler, resonator.
Oh I did mention to him at one point "why cant we just put on 2 mufflers in line or something?" "naw this'll work!"

would 2 mufflers work? should I of just put an additional muffler after the original magnaflow?
Old 09-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #5

Try slapping a resonator after the muffler
Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #6

sorry to hear about all the problems. mufflers are a tricky thing and every exhaust guy thinks he knows what is best for everyone else.

I don't know why a 24" magnaflow would have been loud or droned badly other than maybe when the mds kicks in.

Any muffler will sound bad when it kicks in without a resonator in there.

As for the pipe size a single 2.5" is too small for a hemi. If the system is anything like the trucks it should have been 2.75 from the Y pipe to the muffler and either 2.75 or 3 out.
2005 Ram Daytona #1445 / GoManGo! / Mopar CAI / Night Runner 22"s / Auburn limited slip / 2-4 Drop/ Edelbrock mid-length headers / Custom True Dual Exhaust / Superchips Flashpaq / Summit Racing Underdrive / Trango Shift kit / Edge Racing TC / Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock / EVS II with Sentry key and remote start / Alpine, Orion, and Kicker custom stereo / SilverStar headlights and foglights / Optima Yellow Top / AEM Wideband in SRT-10 Pillar / Retrax Bed Cover / Spray in Bed Liner

Bill_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:39 AM   #7
Director Emeritus

Garage
I had an AERO with their resonator on my '03... sounded great and no in-cab drone
2009 Ram 5.7 HEMI QC 4X4 Laramie - bone stock for now

MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:28 AM   #8

Thanks guys.
Just really gun shy now. Musical mufflers is no fun. and tbh quite embarrassing!
Just want something (anything) quiet and with good flow. and NO MORE drone!
Old 09-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
David

Garage
Well then you def dont want a flowmaster. Mine has terrible drone on the highway. It sounds great at WOT though. Hopefully the 18" SI/DO magnaflow i ordered will have less drone. Or my wife may hurt me. Getting rid of the drone was my excuse for ordering it...lol

ATXHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #10

anyone running a cat-back bolt on system ?
I see the borla cat back system was sold by dodge back in the day but is now discontinued. here's the new part number Borla it's $1k. pretty high!!

anyone use the magnaflow cat back bolt on ?