Best options for an '03 - Hemi Truck Club
 
Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Exhaust | Mufflers. Tips and Headers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-31-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
Tom
 
BadassBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cody
Posts: 60
Best options for an '03

This is the one area that is as clear as mud to me, exhaust.

I have read that the '03 Hemi (and others) require a certain back pressure to run right. This makes it difficult to determine the optimal exhaust system as I am mechanicaly inclined, but technicaly ignorant. I have no means to test the system I decide on and am relying on an experienced opinion.

What I want is performance, not noise. I like the nice low rumble of a good muffler, but I don't have any desire for race track decibles.

What would be the best option? I have heard opinions on true duals, but what about the back flow issue? I have read about the Magnaflow Y pipe opening it up, but what then? The O2 sensor on an "03 is located at the Cat, so changing to a high flow catalytic converter could create problems in the emission system and I HATE seeing the check engine light glaring at me.

The best option I have heard (to my limited knowledge) is to leave the factory exhaust manifolds and Cat and install a decent muffler with two side outs. Would that do any good at all for performance or just be a cosmetic mod that makes it sound better?

I am really confused on this issue and hope someone has an answer.

Thanks!

BadassBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Greg
 
Redtruck-VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 19,019
Garage
This is what I have done on my 03 RCSB and am very happy with the results. Pacesetter Long Tube (Ceramic coating), ORY pipe, Two Magnaflow spun cats and the 36" long round Magnaflow SS 3" in/ dual 2-1/2" out with pipes out the rear. The spun cats are something like 10" long, cut that length off the ORY pipe and weld the cats back to the ORY pipe to make up the length removed. This will locate the cats pretty much over the cross member. Add a O2s bung on the cross over pipe. Each collector has a bung, screw in the forward O2s into the passenger side collector. The new bung on the cross over pipe will be the rear O2s. The spare bung on the driver side collector is ideal for mounting a wide band sensor. Simple and sweet.



Good luck..
__________________
2003 RCSB, 2wd, "Pro-Street"
6.4L/cog driven V7-Ysi/46rh trans/HTH Truckarm coilover suspension. HP Tuning...

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
2012 Truck of the Year
Engine Specialist
 
charged392's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fort pierce, FL
Posts: 17,239
Garage
I would say any exhaust you do headers or not run a y pipe to a single in single out or dual out. As for muffler the magnaflow ss is decently quiet for sure. Any muffler 16" or more with padding inside will likely be quiet enough also.
__________________
"CMR TUNER" [email protected] 1/4 with a 7.32 1/8 custom long/short bars by "Me" Turbocharged 392 on 9psi S475/96/1.32 . Running thru an A518! [email protected]
charged392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-31-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
Tom
 
BadassBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cody
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
This is what I have done on my 03 RCSB and am very happy with the results. Pacesetter Long Tube (Ceramic coating), ORY pipe, Two Magnaflow spun cats and the 36" long round Magnaflow SS 3" in/ dual 2-1/2" out with pipes out the rear. The spun cats are something like 10" long, cut that length off the ORY pipe and weld the cats back to the ORY pipe to make up the length removed. This will locate the cats pretty much over the cross member. Add a O2s bung on the cross over pipe. Each collector has a bung, screw in the forward O2s into the passenger side collector. The new bung on the cross over pipe will be the rear O2s. The spare bung on the driver side collector is ideal for mounting a wide band sensor. Simple and sweet.



Good luck..
Looks like a nice set up. What have you noticed for gains? Also, how loud is it with the headers?

I have been concerned about putting headers on because of the volume and also because I had an exhaust guy tell me they require a lot of maintenance keeping them tight to the engine. Have you noticed any trouble with them coming loose? What is the benefit of the ceramic coating?

Have you noticed any loss of low speed, around town performance?
BadassBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
Tom
 
BadassBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cody
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by charged392 View Post
I would say any exhaust you do headers or not run a y pipe to a single in single out or dual out. As for muffler the magnaflow ss is decently quiet for sure. Any muffler 16" or more with padding inside will likely be quiet enough also.
Thanks for the advice. I like that low rumble of a well tuned V8 with a good performance muffler, but I hate the excessive volume and the backfire of really aggressive exhaust systems for daily driving.
BadassBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
Greg
 
Redtruck-VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 19,019
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadassBlues View Post
Thanks for the advice. I like that low rumble of a well tuned V8 with a good performance muffler, but I hate the excessive volume and the backfire of really aggressive exhaust systems for daily driving.
This is what I have and in my book solid gold for sound. I get compliments practically every time I go out.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-12762/overview/
__________________
2003 RCSB, 2wd, "Pro-Street"
6.4L/cog driven V7-Ysi/46rh trans/HTH Truckarm coilover suspension. HP Tuning...

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
Gold-Member
 
kcd1369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 4,045
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
This is what I have done on my 03 RCSB and am very happy with the results. Pacesetter Long Tube (Ceramic coating), ORY pipe, Two Magnaflow spun cats and the 36" long round Magnaflow SS 3" in/ dual 2-1/2" out with pipes out the rear. The spun cats are something like 10" long, cut that length off the ORY pipe and weld the cats back to the ORY pipe to make up the length removed. This will locate the cats pretty much over the cross member. Add a O2s bung on the cross over pipe. Each collector has a bung, screw in the forward O2s into the passenger side collector. The new bung on the cross over pipe will be the rear O2s. The spare bung on the driver side collector is ideal for mounting a wide band sensor. Simple and sweet.

Good luck..
Greg,
I have thought of doing my O2's and a wide band setup like this. But, my concern is will the PCM and Wide Band be getting a true read on the engine performance having each sensor registering only 1 side of the engine each.
Has this ever been a concern of yours? I know you pay more attention to Red then most average drivers do. So you are very in tune to your performance. But do you think it would be OK for the average Joe?
__________________
05 1500 SLT Quad Black on Black | Pace Setter Long Tubes | Magna Flow Cat Back | Doug's Electric Cutout | Custom Ram Air Hood | Spyder LED Tails | Spec-D Black Projectors W/Halos | Flex-A-Lite E-Fan |Jet 180 Stat | K&N CAI | 20 inch wheels | Comp 268 Cam W/6.1 push rods and springs | Diablo Trinity | Custom Tune by Charged392.





kcd1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:18 PM   #8
Greg
 
Redtruck-VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 19,019
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcd1369 View Post
Greg,
I have thought of doing my O2's and a wide band setup like this. But, my concern is will the PCM and Wide Band be getting a true read on the engine performance having each sensor registering only 1 side of the engine each.
Has this ever been a concern of yours? I know you pay more attention to Red then most average drivers do. So you are very in tune to your performance. But do you think it would be OK for the average Joe?
I did have concerns if it would read correctly and I've seen some other 03's use this configuration without issue. I did a lot of spark plug reading and monitored my knock sensors and found no problems. When I was using the Megasquirt I also read from one side only and again found no issues. I'm still aware of it reading one side when diagnosing a problem but not concerned it represents a problem doing so. IMO, anyone running LT's and custom exhaust isn't a average Joe and is more atuned to the querks of their vehicle than most. With that said there isn't an alternative if dual cats are used on a 03 with a single O2s reading exhaust. Plus the RCSB trucks really don't have enough room under them to use a single cat behind the ORY pipe even if someone wanted to. I'm afraid it is what it is...
__________________
2003 RCSB, 2wd, "Pro-Street"
6.4L/cog driven V7-Ysi/46rh trans/HTH Truckarm coilover suspension. HP Tuning...

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:19 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Hemi-fied 03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Temple
Posts: 173
Garage
I've got an 03 regular cab with short bed. I installed Edelbrock shorty headers with a Summit brand exhaust....single 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlets. Have had this set up for a while. Has a low rumble unless you really get in it....not obnoxiously loud. To keep the headers tight, I installed Stage 8 bolts. I put them on, tightened them, and forgot about them. Like I said, it's been this while for several years, and I have had no issues. Everything was bought from Summit, if that helps.
__________________

Hemi-fied 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:28 PM   #10
Tom
 
BadassBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cody
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-fied 03 View Post
I've got an 03 regular cab with short bed. I installed Edelbrock shorty headers with a Summit brand exhaust....single 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlets. Have had this set up for a while. Has a low rumble unless you really get in it....not obnoxiously loud. To keep the headers tight, I installed Stage 8 bolts. I put them on, tightened them, and forgot about them. Like I said, it's been this while for several years, and I have had no issues. Everything was bought from Summit, if that helps.

That helps a lot, thank you.
BadassBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Premium Vendor Showcase
n2 Speed Edge InTune Edge OCPerformance Parts

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.