Hemi Truck Club banner

Turbo exhaust manifolds

18K views 60 replies 12 participants last post by  Ghost03hemi 
#1 ·
Have been doing so research into putting twins in my truck. The procharger thing looks like it isn't going to happen because of price. So far it seems like everyone just rigs up some custom manifolds. I'm just wondering if there's another way. Like flipping stock manifold or maybe some brand makes manifold that can work on a 3rd gen hemi ram.

#5 ·
#4 ·
Texas Speed had some turbo headers at PRI, I haven't seen them yet but I've been told they are well engineered most of what they are doing for the HEMI is 09+ catalog is still being updated , call em not sure if it'll help , Stu and Keith are the guys to listen to when it comes to 3rd Gen Turbo stuff.

Reactions: Redtruck-VA
#6 ·
I can tell you that you cannot flip exhaust manifolds on a Hemi, the bolt patterns will not match, which is bull crap designing in my opinion :hide: :D:D:D.
I think there was a discussion once on this site about flipping the heads themselves, driver side head on the passenger side and vice-versa, but I do not remember if it was mentioned if that would work or not

#7 ·
It kinda seems like people use 6.1 headers or custom make their own. All I found was a custom header kit you need to Fab up yourself from racemufflers. Which may be my best option, thanks for the input guys it's much appreciated. I'm looking to keeps it at 8 psi for now until I can do something about the bottom end.

#16 ·
#8 ·
This is about as turbo manifold as you can get lol. I added v bands to shorty headed on the power wagon turbo setup I’m building. Custom manifolds is your best bet or a log setup like stu has for a front mount. Rear mount is the easiest piping wise for sure but you have to deal with returning oil to the motor. I run longtubes into a y pipe back up to the front and it’s working very very well.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
Charger and challenger shorty headers look to be very short but I don't know if they clear the ram steering. Edelbrock heads can be mounted on either side and have double exhaust bolt pattern.

#13 ·
Seems to me they would be exposed to water....

Reactions: YeahItsAHemi
#17 ·
Good information, IMO the tube headers would bring too much heat into the engine bay of a street truck with inner fender wells .. The srt oem I would think would be good. Realizing some fitting would be needed.

#18 ·
If you do tube headers , you really should wrap them, and all the other piping that goes with a well planed out set up.

Reactions: Redtruck-VA
#19 ·
For as big as these trucks are there sure isn’t many good routes for pipe. If you do what Keith did you could be stuck with having to do a fender exit of some kind because the y-pipe return takes up the room of the standard exhaust route going to the back of the truck

#22 ·
Well guys I went to go see my truck at my friend's shop. Went and had a talk about it and decided on a single turbo instead as it seems easier. Got about 90% of it figured out. Ordered a bunch of goodies getting ready to do this. But once again it seems like the headers seem to be the biggest issue. I have a guy that can weld those headers that ric mentioned. But if we can figure out a easier way as it's more of a hassle. I was talking with my friend and he suggested a way pretty much the same as keiths talked about. Getting some shortie headers with a 3 inch collector and a y pipe and route it back to the front of the truck and have it dump under the passenger fender. I like to also thank you all for the great knowledge/insight on this. It's makes things a lot easier with everyones help

#23 ·
If you take the drivers side from a shorty header into a custom made Y pipe swung around to a log style manifold (Stu has pics of that for you) that will need to be made custom on the passenger side you will have room to run exhaust back down under the truck.

#24 ·
If your running a 5.7(345cid) Hemi engne. You can run a 2.5" pipe up to the turbo and a 3" down pipe away from the turbo. That way you can have full quiet exhaust system if you want it. But, if you plan on building a bigger engine, just run the 3" pipe up to the turbo. :thumb:

You could run the 3" pipe around like this too. You'll have plenty of room to run the down pipe for a full exhaust system under the truck. :thumb:

#26 ·
I'll try to keep everyone posted on this it seems to change plans almost every 4rd day on how we are going to route the exhaust side. Initially we agreed on routine the driver side around the front with custom made headers. But now I'm being told we don't have room for that. Being told the steering shaft is going to be in the way. Now it seems like we are going to use 6.1 headers (if we can find some) and route it all the way back before the back axle and route onto the outside of the frame and come back. Which to say in the nicest way I can I really hate that idea.

#31 ·
hey HemiRat, are you looking to build a max effort setup? or just something to have a little fun in? If the second, then look into building log manifolds, they are not the most efficient, that's a given, but are the easiest/cheapest to build and take very little room. That's what I did and they are working just fine.
Now if you are looking to squeeze as much power as you can out of your setup, then you have to have a set of custom headers fabricated.

#28 ·
I'm with Keith, no need for all that piping. It would be a pain to maintain down the road. But take that with a gain of salt as I say put a belt on it and don't worry about the piping.....

#29 ·
Ya im going to have a talk with him again because of how i thought of how bad of a idea that really was. I know they guy well so I'm going to guess he had a wrench fall on his head that day thinking that idea up hahaha. He's usually pretty good

#30 ·
#33 ·
6.1 Exhaust manifolds will not fit the Passenger side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.